On this day in...xxxx...I was...

One Tonne Baby

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I was somewhere at the back, hungover and bawling my eyes out to You Got The Love if that helps!

We were fairly near the front and had no idea the size of the crowd that filled in behind us, till I turned round and took this pic.  Great start to the Friday!

Fri 23rd June 2017 - The music finally started! After a hangover greasy spring roll in front of the Other stage where I think Charlie XCX was doing her thing, we went on a beer run to the car and then wandered around the theatre and circus fields. Watched Lorde in the evening, and saw Kit Harrington literally running around and then Radiohead. Finished up in the Beat Hotel until the early hours.

Weds 23rd June 2010 - 10 years ago to the day I entered Glastonbury for the first time. We were originally due to drive down in the morning but the excitement got to us and we left about 2am, arriving on site around 6am. I've got to admit, i was a little green and was shocked that there was a queue! By about 9am it was boiling, and i hadn't had any sleep. It seemed to take forever to get in and it was genuinely one of my worst Glasto moments getting to a hedgerow, thinking it was the gate and realising the queue snaked up hill as far as i could see.

But when we got in, and set up, I remember looking down from Dairy Fields and being in awe at the site, in disbelief that i was actually there, in a place I'd seen on TV and heard so much about. I then had a nap!

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

We were fairly near the front and had no idea the size of the crowd that filled in behind us, till I turned round and took this pic.  Great start to the Friday!

Same we were in the front section for this and it was a fabulous start to the festival. 

Three years on and I think that Radiohead set is still the best I’ve seen. It was the perfect storm of seeing my favourite band for the first time in my favourite place and on the best stage to watch any big act. We spent all year hyping it up on here but for me it still surpassed that. I know a lot of people, particularly those further back, weren’t as into it but the atmosphere down the front was great.

• Upvote 1

This time last year I was well set up and settled as a bar volunteer. Think I was around Pangea crew bar trying to arrange to meet @glasto-worker(our paths crossed all weekend).

What a brilliant bar. Comfiest seat I've ever sat in at the festival. I could have stayed there all night after being awake from excitement the previous night and catching a train at stupid o'clock that morning.

Last year right now I was working. Drove to my mates house in London with all my stuff in the car at the crack of dawn and then got the tube to work. Managed to get out about 4ish (I don’t work there anymore thankfully) and he drove to meet me. We drove straight there and were probably out and about by about 8/9.

I had no choice to work, but it wouldn’t be something I’d want to do again, it was so weird being at work in London then a few hours later being at G, even arriving in my work clothes. It was hard to adjust and switch off initially.

Thurs 24th June 2010 - Not sure exactly what I did but it was my first full day at Glastonbury ever. It was boiling hot and I was 23. What could be better?

Fri 24th June 2011 - One of my best ever days/nights at Glasto. Started early around the dance areas and ended up in the afternoon watching Warpaint (my fav band at the time) for the first time, on my own at the park. I remember as I came up they started playing and it started raining, which i found fantastic. Later on I watched Morrissey, which brought me down again and lost our group. Ended up bumping into some of them SOMEHOW next to West Holts and then bumping into the rest SOMEHOW about 100 yards away. We all ended up having an amazing time in the absolute pissing rain watching Chase & Status and then skipping the headliners to dance into the early hours in the Snake Pit.

Weds 24th June 2015 - First and only time I was on the coach. Got a ticket in the resale even after everyone dropped out and decided to go on my own (although a few days before I found out some other mates were going). Got on at the O2 in the afternoon and sat next to a girl who told me her boyfriend was meant to be coming but they split up a few days before. I thought i'd struck gold! We had a proper excited chat all the way up about our fav things about glasto, shared some ciders at the services stop and then i never saw her again as we disembarked at the festival.

Sat 24th June 2017 - Woke up hanging badly with spits of rain in the air. No one else was up so i just thought fuck it, got dressed and wandered to the Pyramid to watch the bootleg beatles (who blew me away) with some grapes and the best coffee I've ever had. Spent most of the day there watching Craig David, Katy Perry, Jezza and Run the Jewels and then later finally being able to see the Foo's after it got taken away in 2015. I didnt even drink that night because i didnt want to miss a song in the toilet and it lived up to my expectations.

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

No ... if you cycle in through ped gate a there is a cyclist lockup ... if you want to cycle on to the main site  you miss the main zigzag  queue

So it's like a green traveller incentive? If you make your way there by bike you get to skip the queues?

1 minute ago, Waterdeep said:

So it's like a green traveller incentive? If you make your way there by bike you get to skip the queues?

There is a green traveller bike scheme but I don’t think it’s necessary to do that if you don’t want to ... there is cyclist camping as you go through gate a on the left and also a bike park just outside the gate ... I think they also bus some luggage in from major cities ... we’ve just cycled in past the lockup and pushed bikes in missing most of the gate a queue and left our bikes and trailers in the normal onsite lockup’s 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

There is a green traveller bike scheme but I don’t think it’s necessary to do that if you don’t want to ... there is cyclist camping as you go through gate a on the left and also a bike park just outside the gate ... I think they also bus some luggage in from major cities ... we’ve just cycled in past the lockup and pushed bikes in missing most of the gate a queue and left our bikes and trailers in the normal onsite lockup’s 

It must be intended as a green travel incentive though, otherwise people on bikes would have to queue up in the normal way? Seems like it's a bit of a loophole for people to travel by car/van etc with a bike in the boot and then 'cycle' in and skip the queue.