On this day in...xxxx...I was...

One Tonne Baby

Rather than depressing ourselves with what we would be doing, on this date, what were you doing at Glasto?

Thurs 22nd June 2017 - Laying somewhere in the green fields listening to a woman getting a gong bath and feeling the breeze on my hungover face. Later on i'd split time between Annie Mac presents in the Silver Hayes somewhere, chatting with two older guys over some fish and chips next to the other stage, chilling to Alien Covenant in the cinema tent and then dancing around the Williams Green area until 5am.

Tues 22nd June 2010 - Preparing with some last minute shopping in Tesco for a backpack before my first ever Glasto. 23 years old and not fully understanding what i was about to experience...

At this time on the 22nd June 2016 I was still in a car, crawling through Glastonbury town. It was actually probably right about now when I popped out of the car to go and use the bathroom of a very kind woman who opened her home to us beleaguered travellers so that we may relieve ourselves. 

I was so grateful. I actually sent a thank you card to her when I got home.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Not specific dates but I've always made a point of stopping in the south west on the Monday and Tuesday night before the gates open in a (sometimes more successful than others) attempt at avoiding some of the huge traffic queues when the gates open.

Monday afternoon/evening I normally spend sat in the hotel's beer garden with a pint combing over the clashfinder for one last time, painstakingly highlighting everything I want to see and planning my festival with military precision safe in the knowledge that anything I do plan will go straight out the window almost as soon as I'm through the gates and with my wristband on!

You've just kindly prompted me to Thurs 22nd 2017. My mate took this pic. It's of me and my then ex-girlfriend (I'm on the left, she's on the right). We had split up a year before as she had to move back to New Zealand (expired visa), but she came back on a two-week holiday for us to do Glastonbury.
19400176_10155353389563700_9200407032828067409_n.jpg.eebaa3702a81fce72f23edeb516b18e4.jpg
I somehow managed to get through to Sat night in Shangri La before I told her I loved her. We got married in a park in Auckland (I've just realised exactly six months later) on 22nd December. Two-and-a-half years and we are still married! (The pic is of the Arcadia dress rehearsal.)

Edited by Homer
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 9

Only two actually fall in Glastonbury:

Weds 22nd 2016: I'd arrived at 12 on the train and most of my friends were coming by car and were stuck in traffic. I think at this point I'd probably already drunk way more JD Honey than was advisable and was hanging out in crew camping with a guy I probably should have dumped a fair few months before....

Thurs 22nd 2017: I think we had some friends arriving around now, so we'd probably have been hanging out by our tents on Pylon making mojitos whole we waited for them to show up.

Aah, 2017...what a Glastonbury that was. 

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

You've just kindly prompted me to Thurs 22nd 2017. My mate took this pic. It's of me and my then ex-girlfriend (I'm on the left, she's on the right). We had split up a year before as she had to move back to New Zealand (expired visa), but she came back on a two-week holiday for us to do Glastonbury.
19400176_10155353389563700_9200407032828067409_n.jpg.eebaa3702a81fce72f23edeb516b18e4.jpg
I somehow managed to get through to Sat night in Shangri La before I told her I loved her. We got married in a park in Auckland (I've just realised exactly six months later) on 22nd December. Two-and-a-half years and we are still married! (The [pic is of the Arcadia dress rehearsal.)

Thats a great story mate, thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sasperella said:

Only two actually fall in Glastonbury:

Weds 22nd 2016: I'd arrived at 12 on the train and most of my friends were coming by car and were stuck in traffic. I think at this point I'd probably already drunk way more JD Honey than was advisable and was hanging out in crew camping with a guy I probably should have dumped a fair few months before....

Thurs 22nd 2017: I think we had some friends arriving around now, so we'd probably have been hanging out by our tents on Pylon making mojitos whole we waited for them to show up.

Aah, 2017...what a Glastonbury that was. 

My favourite out of the 5 i've been to. I had a pretty shitty 2015 and really thought that I was over Glasto, or it just wasn't fun anymore and then 2017 blew everything out of the water. Atmosphere was spot on all weekend.

Glasto Diary Friday 2011:  Slept til 7am then up and prepare for work.  Second bar shift 9am til 3pm.  Lots of cleaning and pouring beer.  Played guitar on stage and played also with the stage.  Cam carefully arrived 2pm.  Quick curry at 4pm then bumbled off to see The Wombats at Other Stage.  Then to Pennards to meet Anna etc.  Chatted to Katey on phone through Biffy and then saw the amazing Morrissey at Pyramid in the rain near the front instead of plan A which was to sensibly rest. (Thanks to Rich for the obvious and very welcome worldly words of advice).  Another quick meal before sorting the evenings bands with Anne and Cam.  11:30pm, off to work again for third bar shift and second of the day.  Heard U2 and Brit Floyd in the background.  Playing tonight were Boxcar… and World Government who rocked it!  Quite a hard shift to get through technically but I really enjoy being in the “zone” and all turned out good in the end.  Memorable sayings: “I love you more than magic and unicorns” and “Kangaroos are basically massive rabbits”.  One punter to Anne, “Pint of larger and can I see your beaver”.  Quick as a flash reply: “steady on love, you’ve not even bought me a drink yet!”.  Had to evict a drunk muddy lost bloke in the ever pouring rain and did a juggling show (but not in that order).  Finished work at 6:30am, had breakfast and went to bed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

At this time on the 22nd June 2016 I was still in a car, crawling through Glastonbury town. It was actually probably right about now when I popped out of the car to go and use the bathroom of a very kind woman who opened her home to us beleaguered travellers so that we may relieve ourselves. 

I was so grateful. I actually sent a thank you card to her when I got home.

Stuck in the same queue as we watched as a few folk nipped out the car in front of us to use the facilities in someone’s house!  If I recollect the queue moved about ten yards in the time it took them to use the loo. I wasn’t as lucky, nipped out the car to use the gents behind a hedge!  We also left the queue and went into the Glastonbury brewers fayre,  had a meal and rejoined it at the same point, it hadn’t moved.  

And I would do it all again! 

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Stuck in the same queue as we watched as a few folk nipped out the car in front of us to use the facilities in someone’s house!  If I recollect the queue moved about ten yards in the time it took them to use the loo. I wasn’t as lucky, nipped out the car to use the gents behind a hedge!  We also left the queue and went into the Glastonbury brewers fayre,  had a meal and rejoined it at the same point, it hadn’t moved.  

And I would do it all again! 

Absolutely! As long as it was, I have some great memories of that car trip. Our group were in two vehicles, and at some point I hopped out of the front car to wander back a few and pop in on my friends, see how they were getting on. Chatted with them a few minutes and then the cars started moving again (just about!) so I thought i'd best get back to my assigned seat and stepped out. At that point, everyone sped up and they - both cars - must have moved 100 metres or so(!!!) even around a corner. I was trying to look super casual and cool as I ran-walked past all the other vehicles to get back to my mates 😂

2 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Absolutely! As long as it was, I have some great memories of that car trip. Our group were in two vehicles, and at some point I hopped out of the front car to wander back a few and pop in on my friends, see how they were getting on. Chatted with them a few minutes and then the cars started moving again (just about!) so I thought i'd best get back to my assigned seat and stepped out. At that point, everyone sped up and they - both cars - must have moved 100 metres or so(!!!) even around a corner. I was trying to look super casual and cool as I ran-walked past all the other vehicles to get back to my mates 😂

and then no doubt didnt move again for several hours :) .... we had a lovely lady bring us out cups of tea in China cups .... and probably the last time I visited a church was to use the facilities .... I then got interviewed by our local roving reporter Clinton Rogers about the traffic q .... sadly never broadcast ...

3 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I kid you not, we watched as an  identical incident happened in front of us. Had a laugh as we saw the traffic moving! If I remember it was in an area where the road was lined with cottage style houses!  Could it be? 😀

57 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I kid you not, we watched as an  identical incident happened in front of us. Had a laugh as we saw the traffic moving! If I remember it was in an area where the road was lined with cottage style houses!  Could it be? 😀

Err.. 😅 it could well have been! I've just reviewed the street view and yes there were houses at around the point I re-entered the car.

And if it wasn't me, I'm glad I wasn't the only one being a plonker and providing some mirth to other drivers on a very long and gruelling day!