Please Do Not Visit Worthy Farm

parsonjack

5 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Lanes near me (Devon) are heaving today with camper vans etc 

Saunton Sands (popular N Devon surfing beach) carpark had to close due to chaoitc scenes. 40 cars blocking road trying to access it. People kicking off.Police involved.

Nice little swell today and was so tempted to go there myself.

9 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Saunton Sands (popular N Devon surfing beach) carpark had to close due to chaoitc scenes. 40 cars blocking road trying to access it. People kicking off.Police involved.

Brings back memories - used to surf there when I was at school there just outside Braunton back in '82 / '83. Was always an intensely popular beach.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Brings back memories - used to surf there when I was at school there just outside Braunton back in '82 / '83. Was always an intensely popular beach.

that the place with the jellyfish ? trying to picture it ... i know ive been there    

Well yeah there were sometimes jellyfish but is the same for all N Devon beaches imho. In the cliffside to the right, under the hotel, there used to be a rusty iron door to a cave behind we used to force to get in. Oh and an old pillbox we dug into - gone now I think - all very surftastic dude there nowadays..

Just now, Pinhead said:

Is BT technically still on?

I believe it is cancelled but as far as I can tell it is similar to Glastonbury being farmland & access is similar.

Good luck to them I say, Hampshire police aren’t the nicest.

11 hours ago, MJP said:

The usual policy is that it's okay to visit if you respect the land and farms.

Clearly this is not the time for the usual policy, but some people need to be told.

If I were GFL, I'd be getting signs made up to ask people to please sod off.

Signs don't work. Sunny for the first time here today since relaxing the lock down. Constantly having to ask people to sod off from my site (lake front, lovely spot but with equally lovely spots 100 yards in both directions) despite very obvious signs, barriers and hazard tape blocking the entrances.

4 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I believe it is cancelled but as far as I can tell it is similar to Glastonbury being farmland & access is similar.

Good luck to them I say, Hampshire police aren’t the nicest.

So that leaves Shambala still not officially cancelled so far as I can see.

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Signs don't work. Sunny for the first time here today since relaxing the lock down. Constantly having to ask people to sod off from my site (lake front, lovely spot but with equally lovely spots 100 yards in both directions) despite very obvious signs, barriers and hazard tape blocking the entrances.

Many tourists seem to have developed a strong sense of entitlement since lockdown dont they. Second wave now locked in I reckon...

Edited by Pinhead

38 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Many tourists seem to have developed a strong sense of entitlement since lockdown dont they. Second wave now locked in I reckon...

To be fair, it's not just tourists. In the first couple of weeks, when the weather was good and there weren't really any tourists about (maybe the odd second home type, but really not in any number) we had people, presumably locals, doing the same. But after some at times quite angry confrontations they largely seemed to get the message. Today was just on a different level though. 

12 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

We’ve had 2 or 3 of our annual work forums there, absolutely stunning venue! When they were assigning rooms myself and 3 mates jokingly requested “penthouse”. We got given a cabin of our own overlooking the beach. The request was firmly tongue in cheek but paid off!

Back on topic - my old housemate who lives in Exeter went to Saunton Sands today. I think this is the problem that’s been created by now allowed people to visit beaches. Were  there any restrictions on how far you could travel to beaches etc? Still in lockdown here so a bit behind on the rules.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

When they were assigning rooms myself and 3 mates jokingly requested “penthouse”. We got given a cabin of our own overlooking the beach. The request was firmly tongue in cheek but paid off!

Result!

I'm going to remember that approach, should a similar opportunity arise in the time / space continuum that I travel in - or even on.

8 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

We’ve had 2 or 3 of our annual work forums there, absolutely stunning venue! When they were assigning rooms myself and 3 mates jokingly requested “penthouse”. We got given a cabin of our own overlooking the beach. The request was firmly tongue in cheek but paid off!

Back on topic - my old housemate who lives in Exeter went to Saunton Sands today. I think this is the problem that’s been created by now allowed people to visit beaches. Were  there any restrictions on how far you could travel to beaches etc? Still in lockdown here so a bit behind on the rules.

I'm very near Saunton. It would take me 10-15 minutes to get there with no traffic, and I haven't been there since lockdown. I've been to a dog walking beach on the estuary, which is closer, once since mid-March. 

I'm very aware I'm lucky to live in the countryside and on the coast. I'm not suggesting the beaches belong to local people (pitchfork is staying in the shed). Tourism is important to us down here. 

But driving an hour to go to the beach on the hottest day of the year is stupid and irresponsible. At a guess, there must be around a million people living within an hour of Saunton but the car park can accommodate about 200-300 cars. I've seen loads of footage which shows absolute chaos and very little social distancing, as it just isn't possible with so many people trying to get into such a small space. This was the case at several other local beaches too. 

People do seem to be entitled, selfish and not prepared to sacrifice a day or two on the beach for their own wellbeing and that of others. 

I think it's a pretty sad reflection on society.  

On top of all that, it's got worse this morning - I've been sent pictures by a few people showing people camping near to the beaches. In one case there were three cars/vans of people who'd travelled from Bournemouth (you've got your own sodding beaches!) and had camped in a private lane, and other cases where people simply pulled into farmers' fields, camping amongst crops and on pasture. 

I'm all for individual liberty, but people should practise it in a thoughtful way and travelling hours for a jolly during a pandemic doesn't strike me as  socially responsible.