How do you feel?

Matt42

2 hours ago, carlosj said:

I want to add a post here to mourn the sudden passing of Jeffie this last Sunday, and pass the news on to other eFesters. He was in my ticket group, and was the one who got through in 2019 to get us tickets for 2020-22, I'll be raising a glass in the fields next June. He introduced me to a lot of the festival before I even got tickets for the first time.

@jeffie

That is shocking and saddening news carlosj. I never met the bloke, but had a bit of banter with him on here from time to time. RIP

2 hours ago, carlosj said:

I want to add a post here to mourn the sudden passing of Jeffie this last Sunday, and pass the news on to other eFesters. He was in my ticket group, and was the one who got through in 2019 to get us tickets for 2020-22, I'll be raising a glass in the fields next June. He introduced me to a lot of the festival before I even got tickets for the first time.

@jeffie

I'm really sorry to hear this. Haven't seen him around here in a long time but we used to have a bit of banter back in the day. RIP and my condolences to you and his loved ones.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

On 9/8/2021 at 1:59 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Currently far too bamboozled myself to be able to offer any advice. I can, and do wish you all the best though. I get the going around in circles type thing you mention. It's not a very pleasant position to find oneself in. I've got to confess that pressing the big red button is still very much an option for me. It'll certainly stop the circular motion. If you are wondering then the big red button is me going on the attack if my wife is insulted by my brothers too ie. following in my dad's path. Just how much shock and awe do I reign down on them, sort of thing? If I were to do it. Welcome to my circular argument. 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:12 AM, gigpusher said:

Sorry you've been having such a tough time but pleased the house fears are alleviated for now at least. Think quite a few of us understand the treading water feeling. As I said to a friend recently people seem to have either survived or thrived during the pandemic and I am definitely in the survived category. Unfortunately a lot of older people don't plan for the future. They probably don't want to accept that they need to. I suspect future generations will get better at it as we live the consequences of watching what happens when you don't. Hang in there. It won't last forever. 

Thank you both for your replies, Always good to know I'm not alone feeling stuck in a rut.

I am certainly myself guilty of not planning well for my future. Some people tell me they think I'm pretty intelligent, but if that was the case I would surely be retired by now. Without any of these worries. Crap with money me.

And I was right not to celebrate too early. The £86k isn't going to be backdated (you can't start to count spending on care until April 2023, by which time my mum's costs will already have been close to £40k). And it's only the care aspect of costs that is going to be counted. Not food or accommodation or etc..

So typical lying tory obfuscation as usual then.

So fuck it. I'd sooner borrow £86k and gift it to my mum than lose the house I think. (I may need to think this through).

I certainly find it weird that "The Labour Party voted against a tax rise to fund the NHS and Social Care". I get why I think (It's not going to work really/there are better ways to approach the issue/hits working people/etc), but as a sentence that is somewhat surreal.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:36 AM, MrZigster said:

Thank you both for your replies, Always good to know I'm not alone feeling stuck in a rut.

I am certainly myself guilty of not planning well for my future. Some people tell me they think I'm pretty intelligent, but if that was the case I would surely be retired by now. Without any of these worries. Crap with money me.

And I was right not to celebrate too early. The £86k isn't going to be backdated (you can't start to count spending on care until April 2023, by which time my mum's costs will already have been close to £40k). And it's only the care aspect of costs that is going to be counted. Not food or accommodation or etc..

So typical lying tory obfuscation as usual then.

So fuck it. I'd sooner borrow £86k and gift it to my mum than lose the house I think. (I may need to think this through).

I certainly find it weird that "The Labour Party voted against a tax rise to fund the NHS and Social Care". I get why I think (It's not going to work really/there are better ways to approach the issue/hits working people/etc), but as a sentence that is somewhat surreal.

I’m not sure if I’ve made massive assumptions here, so please forgive me if I’m way out! However, from comments you have made are you 60+ and live in the same house as your mother?

If so, it looks like the current regulations disregard the value of the house when means testing for care purposes. Therefore, it looks like the home would not need to be sold to pay for care. You shouldn’t be made homeless. Perhaps contact Age UK for more info?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-a-care-home/do-i-have-to-sell-my-home-to-pay-for-care/

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I’m not sure if I’ve made massive assumptions here, so please forgive me if I’m way out! However, from comments you have made are you 60+ and live in the same house as your mother?

If so, it looks like the current regulations disregard the value of the house when means testing for care purposes. Therefore, it looks like the home would not need to be sold to pay for care. You shouldn’t be made homeless. Perhaps contact Age UK for more info?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-a-care-home/do-i-have-to-sell-my-home-to-pay-for-care/

Appreciated. But. Trust me, I'm pretty sure I have checked out all of the avenues.

Current regulations disregard the value of the house only when it comes to "in home" care. Should anyone have to go into a home then the value of said house comes into the equation.

I am 53 and three quarters years old.

I could also stay if I were disabled. Hmm. Now which limb do I need least?

On 9/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, MrZigster said:

Appreciated. But. Trust me, I'm pretty sure I have checked out all of the avenues.

Current regulations disregard the value of the house only when it comes to "in home" care. Should anyone have to go into a home then the value of said house comes into the equation.

I am 53 and three quarters years old.

I could also stay if I were disabled. Hmm. Now which limb do I need least?

Had a couple of knowledgeable people 'round to help us negotiate part of the minefield that is the above today.

Turns out they reckon that we (read my mum) can get £60 per week Attendance Allowance. Which could be backdated to today. If approved (though the assessor seems to think that these things generally get routinely initially rejected and have to be appealed).

Which she could have been claiming since at least December! Which she was told. Won't listen to anyone my mum.

Just a drop in the ocean financially that though. Will pay for a couple of days of carers a week.

Bloody stubborn old people.

I really hope I don't end up/(have inherited being) that daft when/if I get that old.

19 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Had a couple of knowledgeable people 'round to help us negotiate part of the minefield that is the above today.

Turns out they reckon that we (read my mum) can get £60 per week Attendance Allowance. Which could be backdated to today. If approved (though the assessor seems to think that these things generally get routinely initially rejected and have to be appealed).

Which she could have been claiming since at least December! Which she was told. Won't listen to anyone my mum.

Just a drop in the ocean financially that though. Will pay for a couple of days of carers a week.

Bloody stubborn old people.

I really hope I don't end up/(have inherited being) that daft when/if I get that old.

I just need to point out that stubborn young people exist too. And then there are those who 'suffer' the same ailment and lie in the middle ground. There are even more people that float stationary in the upper and lower quartile ranges.

And now we interrupt this bulletin to bring you a lame 'stubborn' joke - which is, this:

JOB INTERVIEW

(Interviewer) - Tell me one of your weaknesses?

(Interviewee) - I can be very stubborn.

(Interviewer) - Will you please elaborate?

(Interviewee) - I will not!

First born is due in seven weeks. Starting to feel a little overwhelmed and worried that nothing is going to be ready by the time baby comes home - also thinking too much about the tiredness and money worries to come but extremely excited. Any tips for helping the wife deal with the latter stages of the third trimester?

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I just need to point out that stubborn young people exist too. And then there are those who 'suffer' the same ailment and lie in the middle ground. There are even more people that float stationary in the upper and lower quartile ranges.

And now we interrupt this bulletin to bring you a lame 'stubborn' joke - which is, this:

JOB INTERVIEW

(Interviewer) - Tell me one of your weaknesses?

(Interviewee) - I can be very stubborn.

(Interviewer) - Will you please elaborate?

(Interviewee) - I will not!

Spud's Job Interview.

• Upvote 1

Had my first gig back on 9th Sep to see Biffy at Glasgow Green.

I have been so ill ever since. Just remember, you may not get Covid, but there are lots of other bugs out there which your body hasn't been used to for a long time! Had some viral thing with my sinuses. My full face was throbbing. Feeling better than I was now but still not back to 100% 😞

On 9/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, carlosj said:

@jeffie

Very sad news. Wishing all his family and friends love and strength and when/if I ever get back to the farm I'll raise a glass to him. 

7 hours ago, bamber said:

Spud's Job Interview.

That scene is a particular favourite of mine. In fact, at my last formal job interview I sort of replicated it a little. I don't think I quite managed to talk so much bollocks but I did take a shed load of speed prior to the event.

PS - I got the job.

5 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I have been so ill ever since. Just remember, you may not get Covid, but there are lots of other bugs out there which your body hasn't been used to for a long time! Had some viral thing with my sinuses. My full face was throbbing. Feeling better than I was now but still not back to 100% 😞

Oh, that just sounds shite mate. Well, maybe apart from the Biffy gig. I don't know of them and I wasn't at the gig, so simply have no idea. One of my mates was double jabbed and got covid recently, and he got it bad. He's the first person that I actually know personally as a friend to really suffer. he told me on a call that he genuinely thought that he was going to die on three separate occasions. there may not have been the need for the word 'separate' back there, thinking about it. 

Anyway, wishing you back to 100% sooner than later.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, Tartan_Glasto said:

The daddy of all 'freshers' flu is doing the rounds atm

Edited by oneeye

Struggling considerably at the moment. It's my mum's funeral next week (a full six weeks since she died, due to the delayed postmortem, which has felt like forever). Everything about the planning for that has been stressful, often needlessly due to other family members. There is now a delay to the coffin being delivered - no idea if that is related to the wider disruption or just unlucky but it is really not helping.

On top of that, my friend with cancer has just found out two of her kids have covid during chemo week. They've been taken to her mum's for a few days and she has been double jabbed but really was hoping not to see a real world test of the vaccines in clinically vulnerable people. Terrified she will get it and hoping for the best.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Struggling considerably at the moment. It's my mum's funeral next week (a full six weeks since she died, due to the delayed postmortem, which has felt like forever). Everything about the planning for that has been stressful, often needlessly due to other family members. There is now a delay to the coffin being delivered - no idea if that is related to the wider disruption or just unlucky but it is really not helping.

On top of that, my friend with cancer has just found out two of her kids have covid during chemo week. They've been taken to her mum's for a few days and she has been double jabbed but really was hoping not to see a real world test of the vaccines in clinically vulnerable people. Terrified she will get it and hoping for the best.

Fingers crossed for you … it doesn’t always transmit across households so there is hope it won’t .. that’s the issue we unfortunately get with high prevelance … Im hoping similar for a friend 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Fingers crossed for you … it doesn’t always transmit across households so there is hope it won’t .. that’s the issue we unfortunately get with high prevelance … Im hoping similar for a friend 

Thank you, appreciate it. I'm hoping the vaccines do their job. And you're right- that's the downside of just letting the virus rip through school children I guess. Hope your friend is okay too.

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hello Zoo Music Girl,

I can't offer you any specific advice on those two situations. I do know that there are very few people who wouldn't struggle faced with what you are dealing with. I think that they call that group that wouldn't either sociopaths, psychopaths, or both.

The thing is, I guess, if you want to 'grow' as a person, then you have to accept that the education' isn't always going to come from a welcome source.  

Sorry, that's the best that I can currently say / have the ability to say - with the exception of me wishing you to stay strong and concentrate on the positives in your relationship with your mom, and be there as best possible for your friend.

Maybe that makes some sense.

• Upvote 1