When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Russia has said the first batch of the world’s first Covid-19 vaccine would be rolled out within two weeks and rejected as “groundless” safety concerns aired by some experts over Moscow’s rapid approval of the drug.

"Groundless" in that concerns are literally based on facts around how trialling a vaccine works :lol:

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

No you are exactly right, we seem to be in the exact same position.

Im thinking about doing a seaside holiday at the end of august with a friend. I’m nervous but it might be good for me to start easing back into life again.

Good luck to you as well, hopefully we can both make some progress to improve our mental health.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks ... I was thinking about a distraction technique I use with nieces and  nephews when they were upset and I think it’s time to start using similar on myself and try to stop me overthinking this too much ... definately time to do things that I enjoyed 6 months or so ago ... but maybe in a slightly more cautious fashion :) 

There is some really good distraction techniques around!! I am using them lots at the moment with adults and children at work!!! Calm and Mind And Headspace have some good stuff!! Some of the strategies aimed at young people the 11 to 16 year old age group are simple and effective and work equally as well for adults!!  The Works have some good books tht are also not expensive!! 
Remember everyday you get through is an achievement especially when things are changing so much all the time!! 

Just now, funkychick2007 said:

There is some really good distraction techniques around!! I am using them lots at the moment with adults and children at work!!! Calm and Mind And Headspace have some good stuff!! Some of the strategies aimed at young people the 11 to 16 year old age group are simple and effective and work equally as well for adults!!  The Works have some good books tht are also not expensive!! 
Remember everyday you get through is an achievement especially when things are changing so much all the time!! 

Thank you very much for the advice. 🙂

7 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Thanks ... I’ve started booking a few things .. so I can target positives ... badminton tomoro and and showhawk duo in Bristol in May ... it’s a while yet but a gig is something to build to ... before Glastonbury of course :) 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

the stage 3 safety tests are currently in progress..... its a stolen oxford vaccine isn't it ?

It’s very similar! Actually, the Russian one uses a human adenovirus, the Oxford one uses the chimpanzee version (mainly because when the human version was used for SARS vaccines, our immune systems destroyed the vaccine). The Chinese one they rolled out to their military looks almost exactly the same as the Russian one, so if it’s copied from anywhere, then probably from China! The irony...

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s very similar! Actually, the Russian one uses a human adenovirus, the Oxford one uses the chimpanzee version (mainly because when the human version was used for SARS vaccines, our immune systems destroyed the vaccine). The Chinese one they rolled out to their military looks almost exactly the same as the Russian one, so if it’s copied from anywhere, then probably from China! The irony...

but....shouldn't all this stuff be shared openly anyway?

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

My reading is that they are basically doing a big old stage 3 trial test with 'volunteers' and hoping for the best

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

but....shouldn't all this stuff be shared openly anyway?

Yeah, it would be easy to copy the Oxford one as it’s all published (I think I remember some story about Russian hackers and vaccines and wondering what they were hacking since they could read everything online anyway!). Obviously companies that are making them will hold the intellectual property rights for them, but a lot of the platforms are using similar technology. 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

My reading is that they are basically doing a big old stage 3 trial test with 'volunteers' and hoping for the best

Yup....and hedging bets that with at least some expert knowledge and input it's more likely to be good than not.  Shame is that they're using real lives as the bargaining chips.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Yeah, basically their phase 2/3 is a live roll out of the vaccine (whether they plan the kind of scrutiny those enrolled in a trial would get is another matter!)...they could get lucky, it’s not a revolutionary vaccine design and others like it have been used safely before in previous trials...I think the rabies vaccine is the only one using the technology that is currently licensed (and not for humans). I just don’t like the idea of skipping approval steps just cos we are in a hurry. 

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I love that clip! He’s obsessed alright. My wife’s family in NJ are all Trump voting Republicans (lovely people, but we are poles apart politically)...when they say the word China, they whisper it! (They’ve never been of course, they just get their info on it from Fox News and the Donald)...

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m confused about this. Did 5000 people not die or are they blaming cause of death on something else. 

They died 28 days after being found positive. (Which how a lot of countries do it)

Some car accidents, some older people dying from pre existing conditions?

As per this, it seems its been overstated a lot in the last month. 

8 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Got to disagree with you there. 

People need to work especially with a recession on the way. Shutting factories down is the wrong path. Pubs are a lifestyle choice. You can survive without them. 

I’d prefer not to have my industry shut down because people are being irresponsible when they’re drunk. 

I don’t actually think factories should shut, I just don’t think pubs should either.

My point was that the main outbreaks are happening in places like factories, not pubs. It’s stands to reason that if you have people working in close quarters with each other for 8+ hours a day, day in day out then if somebody has it the risk of spread to hundreds of people is  extremely high.

Although track and trace is harder within pubs, people tend to go for a couple of hours, they don’t spend 8+ hours there and come into contact with the same people day in day out.

People who work in pubs can’t work from home either, but why are people who work in factories more important? We don’t actually need a lot of the things produced bu factories, people just want them, the same way they want to go to a pub and want a pint.

During lockdown nobody actually needed garden furniture, or hot tubs, or exercise equipment, or home brew kits or all the other things that sold out, they just wanted them.

We can do without a lot of things pubs included, but I don’t see why some people’s jobs are more important than others, especially when pubs aren’t actually the problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1