When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Obviously with cases on an upwards trend at the moment, I was wondering if anyone can predict what the government will do next, if cases continue to increase?

The ideal situation is that we can turn this around and suppress the virus again and turn increasing cases into decreasing cases, but in the event we can’t, then what happens?

Its not in uncontrollable levels at the moment, but I don’t have much faith in the contact tracing scheme, it doesn’t seem to be working as efficiently and effectively as it could. I know the government have always talked about local measures regarding local outbreaks, but the “local measures” in greater Manchester don’t seem to be working. In greater Manchester people are banned from meeting indoors yet they can go to the pub, and I’ve just seen an article on sky news where a reporter went undercover and 9 out of 10 pubs weren’t complying with contact tracing and social distancing. If we scale this up to the rest of the country, how the hell are we going to keep this virus under control? I went past a barbers today in my town and neither customers nor staff had masks or visors! This is exactly how community transmission can start to escalate if the relevant precautions and guidance isn’t adhered to. I thought masks in barbers were now mandatory anyway... but no one seems to be following.

If cases keep increasing, what will the government do next? I know their plan is “local lockdowns” but what if cases are collectively rising in clusters all across the country? What will the measures be. With schools reopening in 3-4 weeks it’s important we keep this under control. I wonder if it starts to get really bad masks could become mandatory on high streets for the public like in other countries, but I think they should be mandated for shop, pub and restaurant workers first as a priority. If these businesses aren’t protecting their staff and customers it’s going to lead to outbreaks, and I haven’t seen any outbreaks in restaurants publicised yet, but I’ve seen lots of outbreaks in pubs, and perhaps that’s because they aren’t adhering to social distance and hygiene guidelines. My friends were in Blackpool last week and they said they went into a pub, the tables were dirty, plates and cutlery were dirty, no hand sanitiser or PPE for staff and no contact tracing... so they left. If the authorities don’t start addressing these businesses slipping through without relevant precautions I can’t see how we are going to control increasing cases.

@crazyfool1 on the subject of masks for shop workers, how is it at your store now? I think last you said was they are having words with other colleagues and percentages have been increasing, which would be good if that’s the case!

Edited by FestivalJamie

As i'm sure you will have read, NZ found some community cases last night. Some of the response has been amazing - we all get an emergency message within a few hours to inform on the level of lockdown that will apply, the lockdown is applied in less than 24 hours, people start wearing masks and companies start letting people work from home again. The bad - panic buying is worse than the first time the virus appeared, when will people learn. 

We have been very lucky here so far and it must be so obvious to people that no one starved or had to wipe their butts with tree bark but still the same old actions occur.

I can only imagine what its been like for people in the UK and other badly affected places, the stress does really take a toll and i read this thread to ensure (or try) to fully understand what everyone is going through and how they are coping. 

This thread like all (almost) all of the things related to good Glastonbury going folks is truly amazing!

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Obviously with cases on an upwards trend at the moment, I was wondering if anyone can predict what the government will do next, if cases continue to increase?

The ideal situation is that we can turn this around and suppress the virus again and turn increasing cases into decreasing cases, but in the event we can’t, then what happens?

Its not in uncontrollable levels at the moment, but I don’t have much faith in the contact tracing scheme, it doesn’t seem to be working as efficiently and effectively as it could. I know the government have always talked about local measures regarding local outbreaks, but the “local measures” in greater Manchester don’t seem to be working. In greater Manchester people are banned from meeting indoors yet they can go to the pub, and I’ve just seen an article on sky news where a reporter went undercover and 9 out of 10 pubs weren’t complying with contact tracing and social distancing. If we scale this up to the rest of the country, how the hell are we going to keep this virus under control? I went past a barbers today in my town and neither customers nor staff had masks or visors! This is exactly how community transmission can start to escalate if the relevant precautions and guidance isn’t adhered to. I thought masks in barbers were now mandatory anyway... but no one seems to be following.

If cases keep increasing, what will the government do next? I know their plan is “local lockdowns” but what if cases are collectively rising in clusters all across the country? What will the measures be. With schools reopening in 3-4 weeks it’s important we keep this under control. I wonder if it starts to get really bad masks could become mandatory on high streets for the public like in other countries, but I think they should be mandated for shop, pub and restaurant workers first as a priority. If these businesses aren’t protecting their staff and customers it’s going to lead to outbreaks, and I haven’t seen any outbreaks in restaurants publicised yet, but I’ve seen lots of outbreaks in pubs, and perhaps that’s because they aren’t adhering to social distance and hygiene guidelines. My friends were in Blackpool last week and they said they went into a pub, the tables were dirty, plates and cutlery were dirty, no hand sanitiser or PPE for staff and no contact tracing... so they left. If the authorities don’t start addressing these businesses slipping through without relevant precautions I can’t see how we are going to control increasing cases.

@crazyfool1 on the subject of masks for shop workers, how is it at your store now? I think last you said was they are having words with other colleagues and percentages have been increasing, which would be good if that’s the case!

This is in no way a criticism or attack, I’m genuinely interested. This thread has given me so much insight to what people actually feel at the moment. Even though I don’t post much, I read this thread every day. 

So, we are all worried, concerned, unsure where this is all going... wondering when this shit is going to end if you like.

But from the tone of your posts you seem more worried than most.  Are you that worried for yourself, family, others, general society? 

I hope you don’t mind me asking! 

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Shut the pubs.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Shut the pubs.

Any outbreaks in pubs are relatively small and few and far between, most large and more serious outbreaks are in things like factories, shouldn’t we therefore be shutting those instead?

Edit: A quick google of ‘coronavirus outbreak U.K.’ Shows the most recent outbreaks within the last day or two have been in a prison, a fabric factory, a bed factory, and amongst staff in a Tesco, but yeah shut the pubs anyway. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’ve just seen an article on sky news where a reporter went undercover and 9 out of 10 pubs weren’t complying with contact tracing and social distancing

I don't think you need to go undercover to discover that's what's happening. :P 

Edited by eFestivals

Yes! We're the best country in the world!!!!!!!!

Next stop, no deal Brexit!

Quick- look- there's a boat with 6 people on it over there trying to get in illegally, everyone focus on that!!!! That's the real danger!

Edited by Mr.Tease

Just now, steviewevie said:

I guess the worry with pubs is when weather gets colder and people are inside more.

I’d agree, but maybe cross that bridge when we come to it, especially since this is the 6th consecutive day temperatures have been over 34 degrees. Shut the pubs now and people will just go back to moaning about people cramming on to the beaches anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’d agree, but maybe cross that bridge when we come to it, especially since this is the 6th consecutive day temperatures have been over 34 degrees. Shut the pubs now and people will just go back to moaning about people cramming on to the beaches anyway. 

yeah, I agree. Would be a disaster for many pubs to shut them now. I went to a pub for first time since pandemic the other day and they were doing a good job I thought.

Edited by steviewevie

16 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yes! We're the best country in the world!!!!!!!!

Next stop, no deal Brexit!

Quick- look- there's a boat with 6 people on it over there trying to get in illegally, everyone focus on that!!!! That's the real danger!

Yeah the dingy / dinghy did it!

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I agree. Would be a disaster for many pubs to shut them now. I went to a pub for first time since pandemic the other day and they were doing a good job I thought.

Yeah same, I haven’t been to any where I thought they were doing a bad job. Went into London yesterday for the first time and it was very eerie. All of the pubs were empty inside (probably to be expected due to the horrific temperatures) but any outside seating was half empty at best. Sat outside at one pub simply because it had a funny sign saying something like ‘wanted, customers - buy a pint to apply’ We only wanted a snack but the waitress was almost desperately trying to get us to order £20 each worth of food because of the eat out to help out scheme so they must really be struggling even with that. Also noticed quite a few pubs still shut as they’ve either gone bust or not viable to open. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I actually don't think the government is going to do much at all if cases keep increasing beyond local lockdowns. Boris basically said there won't be another national lockdown and I reckon they'll just suck it up and accept more cases, particularly if there are less deaths. And if there are less deaths/hospitalisations now due to better treatments then maybe this is the right call? Who knows.

I really can't see them shutting pubs. Despite what was said. 

I think we're in for a rocky road for the next few months basically. 

Personally I'm finding this part of the process particularly stressful. It was more straightforward in a lot of ways when everything was shut. Now I find myself trying to manage risk constantly with regards to visiting people, getting public transport etc. Two people very close to me are suffering with cancer and it's a constant struggle between seeing them and not putting them at risk so I just don't feel I can do anything that much that's normal as I'm always worrying about exposure and passing it on to people I really don't want to.

Just venting really, but it sucks to have so little trust in the government to handle a situation as serious as this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah same, I haven’t been to any where I thought they were doing a bad job. Went into London yesterday for the first time and it was very eerie. All of the pubs were empty inside (probably to be expected due to the horrific temperatures) but any outside seating was half empty at best. Sat outside at one pub simply because it had a funny sign saying something like ‘wanted, customers - buy a pint to apply’ We only wanted a snack but the waitress was almost desperately trying to get us to order £20 each worth of food because of the eat out to help out scheme so they must really be struggling even with that. Also noticed quite a few pubs still shut as they’ve either gone bust or not viable to open. 

I guess those london pubs are relying on office workers who are all staying home...and tourists who aren't coming...

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I mean the CMO was the one to talk about shutting other areas to accommodate schools opening but what does he know hey!?

but, to be fair...he is more worried about health care than the economy. It's a balance, right?

What happens will depend on numbers. If get local outbreaks, then they will have lockdown restrictions, like Manchester, or if worse like Leicester. If problem becomes more national then I'm guessing they will have to start imposing more national lockdown restrictions again which will involev restrictions on meeting up inside etc...and I guess if need to close places first to go will be pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc. But, will these places get bailed out? I don't know. Economy is so screwed as it is.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but, to be fair...he is more worried about health care than the economy. It's a balance, right?

What happens will depend on numbers. If get local outbreaks, then they will have lockdown restrictions, like Manchester, or if worse like Leicester. If problem becomes more national then I'm guessing they will have to start imposing more national lockdown restrictions again which will involev restrictions on meeting up inside etc...and I guess if need to close places first to go will be pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc. But, will these places get bailed out? I don't know. Economy is so screwed as it is.

Exactly, the CMO is concerned with health outcomes only, Sunak as an example will be concerned with the economy only, which is fine as it’s their respective jobs. The balance has to be struck somewhere in the middle. 

42 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I really can't see them shutting pubs. Despite what was said. 

Me neither.

The norm is to offer bread and circuses*. Spaffer has made clear there'll be no more bread, and the govt gets the circus' of pubs and more for free.

(* or Premier League Football, as it's called nowadays :P )