When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

50 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think I watch these as if from the point of view of someone less politically engaged and/or who needs convincing - so from a lowest common denominator viewpoint that was not good for Starmer. We're mainly the converted on here 

Fair play. I think it’ll be viewed slightly differently. If it even matters, as most don’t pay attention to PMQs.

31 minutes ago, Homer said:

I thought Starmer got the best of it - but it was the closest PMQs since Starmer took over as Labour leader (and I'm including the Raab warm-ups)..

That’s a fair assessment. 

The polls are promising, but I'm reluctant to read too much in to them at this point. Just looking at that snapshot since last July you can see how it's swung wildly. And they had an enormous disapproval rating last summer and still won a big majority.

The key will be Labour and Starmer's approval ratings and it does seem like they're also on the up. Last year people were fucked off with the Tories but not flocking to Labour - that's what we need to happen now.

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

following on from a report that the uk is going to be hardest hit economy of the Developed nations .... How many questions does Starmer get at PMQs ? 

It's quite an impressive achievement- one of the worst fatality rates in the world AND some of the greatest economic devastation. Spectacularly shit at everything, yet 38-40% of the electorate will still back them regardless unless they 'betray' them regarding europe.

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Johnson's honeymoon well and truly over.....but what this govt will be judged on is how they deal with what comes next, we could be looking at a really bad downturn. Loads of people unemployed etc.

Just like Theresa May becoming defined by Brexit, Johnson will become defined by the Coronavirus pandemic. 

41 minutes ago, jparx said:

The polls are promising, but I'm reluctant to read too much in to them at this point. Just looking at that snapshot since last July you can see how it's swung wildly. And they had an enormous disapproval rating last summer and still won a big majority.

The key will be Labour and Starmer's approval ratings and it does seem like they're also on the up. Last year people were fucked off with the Tories but not flocking to Labour - that's what we need to happen now.

Also, a lot hinges on whether that Oxford vaccine is a success, if it is, expect the government approval to soar as they push "the greatness of british scientists" line (though they'll no doubt mess up vaccine manufacturing and distribution)

There were only two real options for working against this virus. You either go for the full lockdown like New Zealand, South Korea and Japan to maximise the safety of the people or you go the Swedish route of no lockdown and protect the economy. 

Instead of one or the other we’ve ended up with a half arsed lockdown which tanked the economy and failed to protect the people. Nice job. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I actually agree with this - its about honesty now- we're past the point where we can contain the virus (we had our chance and we've failed on that) but some honesty in "if you go to the pub, you might catch it" type terms would mean people have the information available to them to make decisions.

Sticking with inferring that it's safe because they have allowed it to open is dangerous 

Problem is it's not "if you go to the pub, you might catch it", it's "if you go to the pub, you might catch it and pass it on to your parents, grandparents and vulnerable friends and neighbours"