When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

Denmark giving up on AZ altogether.

Without the J&J and AstraZeneca jabs, experts warn that Denmark’s vaccination program might not be completed before the end of the year.

J&J accounted for 8.2 million of Denmark’s vaccinations. Even better, only one jab is necessary to vaccinate. On its own, it could have covered the whole country … and Latvia. Its withdrawal was unthinkable.

But its departure leaves Denmark with only Pfizer and Moderna in its arsenal.

“We can get to the finish line with Pfizer and Moderna,” Professor Jan Pravsgaard Christensen from the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at the University of Copenhagen told DR.

“But then I think we will not be completely vaccinated until the end of 2021.”

Idiots. This will cost a lot more lives than any risks associated with using the available vaccines

• Upvote 1

Just now, zahidf said:

Without the J&J and AstraZeneca jabs, experts warn that Denmark’s vaccination program might not be completed before the end of the year.

J&J accounted for 8.2 million of Denmark’s vaccinations. Even better, only one jab is necessary to vaccinate. On its own, it could have covered the whole country … and Latvia. Its withdrawal was unthinkable.

But its departure leaves Denmark with only Pfizer and Moderna in its arsenal.

“We can get to the finish line with Pfizer and Moderna,” Professor Jan Pravsgaard Christensen from the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at the University of Copenhagen told DR.

“But then I think we will not be completely vaccinated until the end of 2021.”

Idiots. This will cost a lot more lives than any risks associated with using the available vaccines

Denmark to stop use of AstraZeneca vaccine permanently

Denmark will permanently cease to administer AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine, broadcaster TV 2 reported on Wednesday, citing unnamed sources.

The move will delay Denmark’s vaccination roll-out by a few weeks, TV 2 said.

50 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm normally a very social person and not a week goes by without going to a big football match or a gig and no summer without a couple of festivals or trips to a big city with my girlfriend.  

Even I'm a little bit apprehensive about everything opening up again, one because I'm not vaccinated (I'm 39) and secondly because like others I've not done much socially in the last 15 months or so. 

Got a couple of trips to the pub booked to ease me back in and hopefully I can do a few low key things in bigger crowds before I go to any Euro 2020 games or festivals later this summer. 🙂

You can wait until you're vaccinated. We're a similar age and it's what we're doing. Not compulsory to get back out as soon as things open, it can feel like everyone is, but as I've said before, the fact that you can actually get in and book spaces in pubs running at 50% capacity or less means lots of people are still at home. It's just a matter of watching yourself to ensure you do actually ease back in once vaccinated!

48 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm fine with all outdoor stuff - no anxiety at all about beer gardens or meeting in people's gardens. I don't even know how I'll feel about the indoor side of things - if prevalence is low still at that time then I won't be too worried. I've got it in my head that I'm playing a long game anyway so for me there's the April easing then the June ones, and nothing will really change for me in between. I'll do the minimum between the mid May and mid June dates as my small contribution to not spreading the virus so if the good stuff gets delayed I'll at least feel like I did what I can. Obviously bad for businesses if everyone does that, but I'm not that bothered about what May brings so there's no point me doing stuff I wouldn't normally want to just because I can, whereas loads are really excited about the indoor stuff

If our advance bookings are anything to go off, that's not gonna be an issue. 

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You can wait until you're vaccinated. We're a similar age and it's what we're doing. Not compulsory to get back out as soon as things open, it can feel like everyone is, but as I've said before, the fact that you can actually get in and book spaces in pubs running at 50% capacity or less means lots of people are still at home. It's just a matter of watching yourself to ensure you do actually ease back in once vaccinated!

Yeah I went to the gym yesterday and was genuinely shocked at how empty it was - fully expected bedlam but it was quite quiet. Very nice experience, my 3 year old son was so excited to be back in the swimming pool.

Guess we will find out what happens when we mix vaccines sooner rather than later...

People aged under 60 who have been given a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine in Germany will receive a different jab for their second dose, federal and regional health ministers agreed Tuesday, AFP reports.

Germany announced on March 30 that it would no longer offer the two-dose AstraZeneca vaccine to people aged under 60 due to concerns over a possible link to rare cases of blood clots.

DPA news agency said ministers agreed at a meeting that people in the younger age group who received a first AstraZeneca dose before the March 30 announcement will be offered either the BioNTech-Pfizer jab for their second dose, or the Moderna vaccine.

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

J&J is the best vaccine of the lot, would be very good to buy up the unwanted ones from Denmark and fire them into young adults.

Best of the lot? What are you talking about? 

It’s got an average efficacy circa 65%. Id rather have any of the other vaccines as a single dose than the j&j. 

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Guess we will find out what happens when we mix vaccines sooner rather than later...

People aged under 60 who have been given a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine in Germany will receive a different jab for their second dose, federal and regional health ministers agreed Tuesday, AFP reports.

Germany announced on March 30 that it would no longer offer the two-dose AstraZeneca vaccine to people aged under 60 due to concerns over a possible link to rare cases of blood clots.

DPA news agency said ministers agreed at a meeting that people in the younger age group who received a first AstraZeneca dose before the March 30 announcement will be offered either the BioNTech-Pfizer jab for their second dose, or the Moderna vaccine.

I guess ToiletDuck knows more....but these vaccines just use different ways to trigger a similar/same immune response...so shouldn't matter, right?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I guess ToiletDuck knows more....but these vaccines just use different ways to trigger a similar/same immune response...so shouldn't matter, right?

well in theory but we are doing a Trial on it. Whereas they are just doing it....

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

It’s got an average efficacy circa 65%. Id rather have any of the other vaccines as a single dose than the j&j. 

Surely for under 30s it's enough though? They're not at any real risk from the virus and a small amount more spread (while everyone else is vaccinated especially the most vulnerable so it shouldn't really matter) to get them finished quicker with one dose sounds like it makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Figured that might be the case! Are you open this week or waiting til May?

Opening the cafe/bar in some form in a couple of weeks (either outside table service or takeaway, not been told which yet) then the accommodation on May 17th. Fully open (only opened half the rooms last year) but still no shared dorms yet. it's already getting noticeably busy in the Lakes this week. Nothing like it would be normally this time of year and nothing like it's going to get. This summer is going to be insane

7 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

The fact that it’s single dose makes it best. More convenient for everyone to just take one shot then get on with their lives. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The fact that it’s single dose makes it best. More convenient for everyone to just take one shot then get on with their lives. 

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely for under 30s it's enough though? They're not at any real risk from the virus and a small amount more spread (while everyone else is vaccinated especially the most vulnerable so it shouldn't really matter) to get them finished quicker with one dose sounds like it makes sense. 

I understand the upside of a single dose vaccine. The point is that it’s not a good vaccine and most other vaccines on the market would outperform it as a single dose. 

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Parents have just had their second jab ... brought forward 10days ... and it looks like the supplies seem to be increasing now again with extra volunteer shifts being added at local sites from tomoro onwards ... must be moderna having some effect ? 

My local centre isn't taking any volunteers at the moment. It's still operating, but there are no shifts available to book. And it's not that they are full cos normally full shifts show up on the website too

13 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

I understand the upside of a single dose vaccine. The point is that it’s not a good vaccine and most other vaccines on the market would outperform it as a single dose. 

Comparing efficacy rates from trials of different vaccines is a fools errand. Unless you actually trial them head to head in the same population at the same time with the same amount of virus circulating with similar prevalence of different variants and use exactly the same criteria for defining disease then they really can't be compared too accurately. Real world use and how effective they are gives a better indication of how they will perform, but that too is modified by the amount of virus that is circulating at the time (Pfizer had an apparent efficacy bump over OX/AZ, however, used side by side in the UK they perform almost identically). J&J had excellent results against the SA variant in their trial there (pretty much matching the efficacy against other variants), so saying it's a poor vaccine is pretty wide of the mark (all the vaccines are better than we hoped they might be). The main issue with it at the moment is that it was pencilled in for younger groups, however, they are the exact cohort that are low risk of complications from COVID yet are higher risk for complications from the vaccine (still under investigation obviously). I'd happily take it or any other vaccine I was offered. 

EU countries formally agreed on Wednesday to launch Covid travel passes as a step towards reopening to tourism this summer and will negotiate details with the bloc’s lawmakers in May, two diplomatic sources said.

Reuters reports:

The certificates would allow those vaccinated, recovered from Covid-19 or with negative test results to travel more easily in the EU, where restrictions on movement have weighed heavily on the travel and tourist industry for over a year.