When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

29 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Good piece in the Atlantic. Governments telling people not to meet loved ones is like telling teenagers not to take drugs or have sex. Teaching them how to do it safely will be far more impactful.

I think that only goes so far- any indoor time with anyone older is dangerous at the moment, so a realistic assessment of the risks over christmas is better but it needs to come from 'boris' not the 'boring square scientists' 

So, roll out goes well and the NHS staff, care staff and over 70s sre vaccinated by end of Jan. Death rate reduces by 70%

Do you support reopening in that situation without social distancing but with masks on public transport/indoors when not eating and having to isolate with track and trace?

Edited by zahidf

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Good piece in the Atlantic. Governments telling people not to meet loved ones is like telling teenagers not to take drugs or have sex. Teaching them how to do it safely will be far more impactful.

Yup.  No point ordering people OR shaming them. You have to find a way to bring them along with you.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So, roll out goes well and the NHS staff, care staff and over 70s sre vaccinated by end of Jan. Death rate reduces by 70%

Do you support reopening in that situation without social distancing but with masks on public transport/indoors when not eating and having to isolate with track and trace?

There will be restrictions in place until at least Easter as many of us have said on here.

8 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Couldn't have put it better myself 

I'm actually beyond caring about the theatre of it - I just want to see as good a deal as possible and don't even care if he comes out of it looking like a hero. Realistically they've already won the next election so it makes very little difference on the domestic political side of things

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm actually beyond caring about the theatre of it - I just want to see as good a deal as possible and don't even care if he comes out of it looking like a hero. Realistically they've already won the next election so it makes very little difference on the domestic political side of things

I don't think them winning the election is a sure thing, we could end up with a hung Parliament again which could lead to the Tories being kicked out of government. *fingers crossed*

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It aint about him looking the hero, its about him and his pals making $$$ by shorting the pound. The trouble is that they can make even more if he really does go through with it.

I’d still put my money on deal though. Hard to believe even Boris is daft enough to believe either the country or he personally can recover from the fallout of a no deal.

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don't think them winning the election is a sure thing, we could end up with a hung Parliament again which could lead to the Tories being kicked out of government. *fingers crossed*

yeah, who knows where we'll be in 2024...will Johnson still be PM? What state will economy be in? Will Starmer keep labour united? What will be going on in Scotland and NI? Will climate change become the main issue? Will we be at war with France over Herring?!

47 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Isn't that an argument for vaccinating the NHS staff asap instead of the over 80s then?

I've been thinking a lot about the dosing issue with the Oxford vaccine and now expect that to be the primary vaccine given to the NHS staff in the half dose/full dose configuration until it's been proven to work for the over 55 at that dosage. 

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, who knows where we'll be in 2024...will Johnson still be PM? What state will economy be in? Will Starmer keep labour united? What will be going on in Scotland and NI? Will climate change become the main issue? Will we be at war with France over Herring?!

Hold on... labour’s United?!

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I agree with sadiq. Close the schools

20201213_230952.jpg

Normally I endorse schools staying open in some capacity as they're essential for all young people but with a week till christmas I do like the idea, the last week of term before christmas is never actually used for anything productive so they may as well shut up shop for christmas and return in the new year 

24 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Normally I endorse schools staying open in some capacity as they're essential for all young people but with a week till christmas I do like the idea, the last week of term before christmas is never actually used for anything productive so they may as well shut up shop for christmas and return in the new year 

Considering the relaxation that they're now stuck with this would be the sensible move.

But because a Labour mayor suggested it, that makes it much less likely to happen...

7 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Closing schools isn't just about the kids it's the knock on effects around childcare for those who can't work at home, and if you can work at home it's incredibly tough to balance the two. 

they could close for the older kids I guess, year9+ maybe.

Anyway, doesn't look like they're going to.

In the end the kids have missed too much school and it's just making inequality worse...so maybe they're still the last things that they want to close. Economic damage can be fixed, but long term damage from all the missed schooling not so easy to fix.

Other places doing things differently. Where my brother lives in US the schools have been shut since March, whereas everything else is open....although now their cases are going through the roof. That's the US though which is really the most uncivilised nation on earth.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Other places doing things differently. Where my brother lives in US the schools have been shut since March, whereas everything else is open....although now their cases are going through the roof. That's the US though which is really the most uncivilised nation on earth.

They’ve managed to set records this year. Only half the number of school shootings compared to previous years.

Oxford authorisation this week then?

Murmurs yesterday suggesting there's a good chance of people being vaccinated with that one before Christmas so going by my reckoning that means it has to be authorised at some point this week to stand a chance? 

7 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Closing schools isn't just about the kids it's the knock on effects around childcare for those who can't work at home, and if you can work at home it's incredibly tough to balance the two. 

Got to disagree here. Working from home seems like a great way to save on childcare costs. Why pay a nursery when you can just look after your own kids on company time? 

• Downvote 1