When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

In northern Italy they were deciding who lived and who died by having to decide who could go on a ventilator and who couldn't. That's being overwhelmed. Thankfully we didn't reach that level in spring and hopefully we don't now. 

We just shipped them off to care homes and let them all die. 

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I can’t imagine Chris Whitty can look at today’s numbers with a straight face and tell Boris to dither for another weekend before announcing the traffic lights system. At very least they need to put the entire country into tier 2 and then selected hotbeds into tier 3, IMO 

By the sounds of it you will only enter tier 2 if you go above 100 per 100,000. My local news Look East has been saying a lot of MPs from my region are unhappy for the idea of harsher restrictions for the whole country as areas around here are currently much lower than the effected areas so I can't see Boris risking their support even if it is a life or death decision 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

By the sounds of it you will only enter tier 2 if you go above 100 per 100,000. My local news Look East has been saying a lot of MPs from my region are unhappy for the idea of harsher restrictions for the whole country as areas around here are currently much lower than the effected areas so I can't see Boris risking their support even if it is a life or death decision 

Is that measured in terms of actual positive tests or prevalence though? I’d imagine pretty much the whole country is secretly > 100

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Is that measured in terms of actual positive tests or prevalence though? I’d imagine pretty much the whole country is secretly > 100

or it soon will be anyway ... I predict in less than 2 weeks the south will be above those levels ... looking at the current rate of growth 

It's so stupid that at the beginning september they'd put place in local lockdown for 40 + infections per 100,000. Those measure haven't worked in the majority of places but now because the north is soooo bad, the government haven't added further restriction for places that has less than 100 cases per 100 thousand. 

How long till everywhere is seeing similar rates to the north

30 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I can’t imagine Chris Whitty can look at today’s numbers with a straight face and tell Boris to dither for another weekend before announcing the traffic lights system. At very least they need to put the entire country into tier 2 and then selected hotbeds into tier 3, IMO 

He is waiting for Abracadabra Stratton to start, so that she can break the bad news and answer the difficult questions, leaving him to spout on about our green future in 10 years time, who knows it might give  him some more time on his twitter account.

Edited by Cherry Tree

16 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

It's so stupid that at the beginning september they'd put place in local lockdown for 40 + infections per 100,000. Those measure haven't worked in the majority of places but now because the north is soooo bad, the government haven't added further restriction for places that has less than 100 cases per 100 thousand. 

How long till everywhere is seeing similar rates to the north

Feels like the elephant in the room is that they don’t want a national lockdown and don’t want a local lockdown that includes London, so they’re basically moving the goalposts about how bad an area needs to be to get put into local lockdown 

This is a really bleak topic, but I was looking into the argument about suicide due to lockdown. 

I can't seem to find any recorded or released data about suicides in 2020 in the UK.

Obviously ONS has posted data from last year, showing suicide has increased in the uk the last ten years, but nothing about directly resulting from the pandemic. 

In fact only data I can find suggests that the first quarter of the year wasn't as high as previous years, but the ONS data said that there'd be delays due to covid and publishing data like this. 

I know it's a depressing subject, but if anyone has the info I would like to know as it's important to weigh these things thinking about lockdown.

8 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

This is a really bleak topic, but I was looking into the argument about suicide due to lockdown. 

I can't seem to find any recorded or released data about suicides in 2020 in the UK.

Obviously ONS has posted data from last year, showing suicide has increased in the uk the last ten years, but nothing about directly resulting from the pandemic. 

In fact only data I can find suggests that the first quarter of the year wasn't as high as previous years, but the ONS data said that there'd be delays due to covid and publishing data like this. 

I know it's a depressing subject, but if anyone has the info I would like to know as it's important to weigh these things thinking about lockdown.

If we’ve eroded society to the point that even one person feels that life isn’t worth living, that’s the worst tragedy of the lot :( 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If we’ve eroded society to the point that even one person feels that life isn’t worth living, that’s the worst tragedy of the lot :( 

I completely agree, my fear is that the longer things go on for with this there will be a far greater number of people feeling this way. By no means am I implying we should swing the doors open and let Covid rip through to allow life back to normal but this adds to the even greater balancing act we as a society face with the pandemic 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I completely agree, my fear is that the longer things go on for with this there will be a far greater number of people feeling this way. By no means am I implying we should swing the doors open and let Covid rip through to allow life back to normal but this adds to the even greater balancing act we as a society face with the pandemic 

Spot on. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Spot on. 

This is the issue I have with the way social media and the media in general act with the virus, when theres a million different core points being said at once you have no clue how to feel, who to believe and just how far away the light at the end of the tunnel is. This is when people start to feel the way you have described.

Personally I'm an optimist and hope for things to get better soon but it's the little things for me like talking of banning households mixing that gets to me, my mental health can be mixed from time to time and seeing friends and family in a safe way really keeps me going, that and having things to go to like gigs or comedy events. Without these for a prolonged period of time I can see myself struggling, no matter how optimistic I try to be

4 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

But my point is the idea of protecting people from feeling this way by not locking down. Is that a valid argument. As the same could be said for not locking down. 

How many people may feel suicidal if a loved one died. How many people will feel that way because the government didn't protect their job, or support them at all. 

I think too many people make the effect of covid synonymous with the effects of a lockdown. How many businesses are stuggling right now, in place with little restrictions because people don't feel safe enough to go or they haven't got enough capacity for pre-pandemic business. 

It's all an absolute tragedy, most of my friends have felt this way or a similar at some-point in their lives and we're not even 25 yet. But I just wonder if not locking would actually reduce mental health issues of that degree, or if that is misunderstanding the cause of the problem. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

I remember the days when people said they were working because rising cases were slowing, then last weekend happened 😱 memories. 

Yes last thursday and friday, where it seemed like the cases were going down each day and that perhaps the government knew what they were doing with those measures. 

But nope turns out they lost 15,000 cases in microsoft excel and that cases had been rising exponentially and now probably will more because there was tons of people who should of been isolating, not doing so for up to a week.

Maybe the government wanted to give us a little false hope before plunging us back in our vaults