When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

OH NO! has he not had a vaccine?

BBC suggesting he's had it for a while and was being treated at home for the 'last few weeks', so guessing he picked it up before his post-vaccine immunity kicked in.  What a kick in the teeth.

Hope he does ok 🤞

9 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

They do, there’s tons of places making vaccine now, Sanofi, Bayer and others are going to contract manufacture vaccine, without Lonza, none of us would be getting Moderna any time soon and Catalent, Rovi and others have massive fill & finish contracts. But even Pfizer had to shut down to make adjustments to facilitate the kind of production required (and I know from friends in the company they were shifting production of other things right back in the summer to get ready for making vaccine at certain sites). It just doesn’t seem to have occurred to the EU that there needed to be some additional investment in making sure all the capacity was fit for purpose. I think they just figured we have the infrastructure already so we just need to book the doses, but nothing on this scale with this level of coordination required has been tried before and I think they took their eye off the ball. 

Exactly. Having ordered vaccine on a huge scale the EU just sat back and expected it to happen to their totally unrealistic trameframe. Then rather than rationally explaining to EU citizens that building vaccine production takes time they have chosen to be defensively confrontational. Surely there must be some rational voices in the EU who recognise the scale at which AZ can deliver. 

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

They do, there’s tons of places making vaccine now, Sanofi, Bayer and others are going to contract manufacture vaccine, without Lonza, none of us would be getting Moderna any time soon and Catalent, Rovi and others have massive fill & finish contracts. But even Pfizer had to shut down to make adjustments to facilitate the kind of production required (and I know from friends in the company they were shifting production of other things right back in the summer to get ready for making vaccine at certain sites). It just doesn’t seem to have occurred to the EU that there needed to be some additional investment in making sure all the capacity was fit for purpose. I think they just figured we have the infrastructure already so we just need to book the doses, but nothing on this scale with this level of coordination required has been tried before and I think they took their eye off the ball. 

It's weird because the UK did the opposite. You'd think they'd have decided to do that!

This was interesting as to why the EU had messed up%

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-coronavirus-vaccine-struggle-pfizer-biontech-astrazeneca/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah... that headline is bullcrap.  He's seen 1-3 doses thrown away (and he's vague if its every day) and from that, he assumes thousands are being wasted every day

Whereas we have stories here and elsewhere of all extra doses being used for extra lists and for NHS staff getting extra doses. 

That headline is such exaggerated crap it makes my blood boil honestly. Maybe he should have a word with his clinic and get them to open up a waiting list like other places have?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Thing is most places are making sure these extra doses are being used, it's been widely reported tbh so whilst I can't say it isn't happening in this case I don't think its a wide spread that they are throwing anything away - they are ringing around to get them used up

Just now, shoptildrop said:

Thing is most places are making sure these extra doses are being used, it's been widely reported tbh so whilst I can't say it isn't happening in this case I don't think its a wide spread that they are throwing anything away - they are ringing around to get them used up

Yeah that story is rubbish. Smells of someone trying to have a go at the vaccine programme by scaremongering 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/martin-lewis-urges-everyone-go-4937881

Everyone working from home should get online and claim back £124, according to Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis.

Its £62 or £64 for most people. I don't remember which. Its only £124 if your a higher rate tax payer. 

They have just simplified it for people this year - normally you have to do it multiple times a year..  i let the government keep my home workers relief. Speaking to HMRC multiple years is not to taken lightly.. they are only marginally better than when I has to deal with he SLC..  

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Vaccination update:

F88BBEDB-541B-4751-8584-7DB5B46975CE.jpeg

Don't know if this has been answered before, and apologies if it's a stupid question, but- what happens in late February/March when it's second dose time? Do we suddenly drastically increase the vaccination rate (so half the people vaccinated are 2nd dosers, and half or 1st dosers), or does 1st dosing grind to a halt/hugely diminish. I know we steadily increased the vaccination rate, but do we eventually reach a saturation point where all we're doing is 2nd doses for a few months?

Also what happens with people who don't show up for 2nd doses (or even 1sts)- do they keep getting booked/invited back, or is it a case of moving on? How many chances do people get?

23 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah... that headline is bullcrap.  He's seen 1-3 doses thrown away (and he's vague if its every day) and from that, he assumes thousands are being wasted every day

Whereas we have stories here and elsewhere of all extra doses being used for extra lists and for NHS staff getting extra doses. 

That headline is such exaggerated crap it makes my blood boil honestly. Maybe he should have a word with his clinic and get them to open up a waiting list like other places have?

It makes me angry too. I've been volunteering at a vaccine centre this week and it's my understanding that the Pfizer vaccine can be stored for a couple of days at fridge temp once thawed (not sure exactly how many days). Considering it's a 7 day a week operation, it's not as if they get to Friday and have a whole bunch of vaccines that can't be used over the weekend, which result in mass waste. I have seen no vaccines go to waste on the shifts i've covered, and most of them have been closing shifts so I've been there when the last person leaves the building.

I've honestly been so impressed with what I've seen. The hub I'm based at (a library in London) is averaging around 1000 vaccines a day and the NHS staff / the army who are running it are doing a fab job. I did hear whispers on my first shift that when the vaccine roll out first began, there were some spare vaccines that ended up being given to the Fire Brigade (whose station is literally next door to the library) but many of them have been drafted in to help drive ambulances in London lately and have been working throughout the entire pandemic, so I think that's perfectly fine. 

Like you say, if the clinics that this doctor has been based at are not using their common sense, he needs to raise that with them and not assume the entire country is operating in the same way. I have no doubt that when the roll out first began and vaccine centres were finding their feet with everything, that there would have been some wastage. But we're several weeks into this now and I trust that the NHS know what they're doing and should be applauded for it.

Also, the number of people who have asked me this week if there are any spare vaccines going and can they come back at the end of the day.....I swear, if a vaccine centre ever finds themselves with left over shots they need to get rid of, all they need to do is poke their head outside the door and yell and someone will come running. (Not saying they should do this, a waiting list that includes priority groups makes much more sense but honestly, there is no excuse for wastage at this point).

Edited by PM87
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Don't know if this has been answered before, and apologies if it's a stupid question, but- what happens in late February/March when it's second dose time? Do we suddenly drastically increase the vaccination rate (so half the people vaccinated are 2nd dosers, and half or 1st dosers), or does 1st dosing grind to a halt/hugely diminish. I know we steadily increased the vaccination rate, but do we eventually reach a saturation point where all we're doing is 2nd doses for a few months?

Also what happens with people who don't show up for 2nd doses (or even 1sts)- do they keep getting booked/invited back, or is it a case of moving on? How many chances do people get?

I think if supply doesn’t increase then you would see more of the daily vaccinations being made up of 2nd doses rather than 1st. But the plan would be that we can move onto 2nd doses as the new vaccines get approved and come online. 

• Upvote 1