When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

bloody hec, that sounds good. Got room for one more?

We've done that the past 2 winters, work here in the summer and hide over there in winter.

Sadly just got back mid march this year and all work was cancelled.

Thankfully we got alternative work the last 6 months and just about had enough now!

Edited by Paul ™

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

With all due respect, is it really proportionate for a 91 year old to be in a “virtual lock in” for 6 months and counting at that age? I’m aware that Covid is far more likely to have dire consequences at that age (although not sure what her general health is like. A healthy 91 year old would still be odds on favourite against the virus), but I’m also aware that when you get to that age you never really know what’s around the corner and spending your says locked in could mean that you don’t get to spend the final years of your life around your loved ones. Obviously it’s a matter for individual risk assessment, but an elderly relative of mine recently passed away from heart failure after shielding for months and I can’t help but feel that we might as well have just visited her during the lockdown, given that even in the worst case scenario where she caught covid and passed away from it, it’s have only shortened her life by a few months and she would have gotten to spend her final months around us. 

Well, that’s a fair question but ultimately it’s up to her. She’s still pretty sharp for 91. My Mum and Dad have been getting her shopping, she’s had a couple of family visits in the Garden and been to the Pub for Tea once. IDK maybe it’s given her a focus. But yeah, I’m surprised she’s been so cautious as I’d have thought she’d be better off savouring her time but point is, it’s up to her to do that. Now the thing she’s been planning for and looking forward to is under threat by Government edict.

37 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm not sure how old you are, but in my experience this fragmenting over Christmas happens naturally over time anyway. We used to have huge family Christmases as a kid. Now it's just four of us usually.

Edit: Mind you, this would massively depend on the size and location of your family so ignore me...

No that's what's been happening, pretty much for the last 10 years. Most years one cousin has been either in Colombia or Spain, then my cousin who lives in Wales would be year on/year off with his wife and now children. My brother and his wife would always be there for at least part of it but the other would have been with her family. 

Until last year though, it was always the majority of us together, with one or two smaller satellites elsewhere. I know it's very sentimental of me - and I'm 29 (and the youngest of my generation of cousins) - but being with my family, my whole family, is always my favourite place to be. Because we aren't one of those families that all live in each others pockets, or even within an hour of each other, it was always special when we could get together. That would be Christmas and Easter. The last few years we've managed to get the even wider family together with renting big houses for significant birthdays but I'm still just getting used to the idea that us all being together in one place is now not even an annual guarantee, but an occasional joy every few years. 

Edited by WestCountryGirl

3 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Then feel free to isolate until you feel safe to come out. 

I have 20 guys who work for me. None of us have missed a single day due to covid - we have worked closely together all through the pandemic. I will be telling anyone who says I can't spend time with my family to fuck off - and I will deal with any consequences. 

Isolate ? I’m not isolating ... I’m just choosing that I don’t put undue risk on my loved ones ... if my choice is that I do other things that’s up to me ... to add that risk to my elderly parents ... I don’t feel is a choice I want to make at the moment ... I’m seeing them next week when my risk to them is at its lowest ... Christmas means jack shit to me ... and it’s when I will be highest risk . You choose that it’s worth doing .. that’s also fine enjoy 

As someone who’s a bit of a lockdown sceptic by the way, I’m comparatively okay with the rule of six. I mostly have individual small groups of friends rather than one big group, and even my biggest group is like 8 people so it should be pretty easy to rotate who I see between them. My big worry is overnight stays get banned next. 

31 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I can’t disagree ... how can we stop it though ? Without protest ? That’s not acceptance by the way ... I presume they need to vote for the powers to continue ... 

Hopefully there needs to be a vote. However ‘Emergency Powers’ tend to be pretty sticky, and his is a Government that clearly has very little regard for Parliament when it suits them. So IDK, hopefully it’ll turn out I was wrong to be concerned. I’d say *not* cheering them on and asking them to be harsher would be a very good start though.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That opinion poll showing most people favour more restrictions doesn’t mean that the people who voted yes will he planning to follow them

People want more restrictions that won't actually impact them.

I'm sure the same people that were blaming numbers increasing in May on Muslim families flouting the rules for Eid are the same ones saying they will break the rules if they're still in place over Christmas.

If there is going to be any doubt over large Christmas gatherings then the government need to be making this clear now before people and companies start spending massively on an event that may not even happen as planned. 

It doesn’t mean they have to cancel the spending but make it clear that gatherings should be kept small. 

Normally by now, the work xmas party plans are being discussed. This isn’t on the cards at all. I’m actually wondering if my work will actually go through with the usual annual shutdown. I’d certainly prefer to work if the option is there. 

There could also be the choice to shut down other stuff to allow more movement at Christmas. Schools will already be out, offices could be shut down again for a couple of weeks, maybe they make the hard call and shut down pubs and shops over the Christmas week also.

Would be interesting doing that though, as it would be saying a lot more clearly: infections will go up as you're all seeing your families, so we're shutting other stuff to be able to deal with that. Which means it's not safe to see your families, some of you will get sick. Just we can treat you.

(Of course, frontline NHS workers won't be seeing their family at Chrimstas because they'll have to work extra hours so the rest of you can take "personal risks" but they got two months of applause, what more do they need)

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There could also be the choice to shut down other stuff to allow more movement at Christmas. Schools will already be out, offices could be shut down again for a couple of weeks, maybe they make the hard call and shut down pubs and shops over the Christmas week also.

Would be interesting doing that though, as it would be saying a lot more clearly: infections will go up as you're all seeing your families, so we're shutting other stuff to be able to deal with that. Which means it's not safe to see your families, some of you will get sick. Just we can treat you.

(Of course, frontline NHS workers won't be seeing their family at Chrimstas because they'll have to work extra hours so the rest of you can take "personal risks" but they got two months of applause, what more do they need)

Shutting pubs and shops over christmas?!

I reckon they will have these rules in place, but won't be enforced at all.

1 minute ago, zero000 said:

Job spec for the covid wardens: https://uk.jobtome.com/job/covid-marshall/f206e76535a7d1991a4bae4046036cfe#gref

“Must have a SIA licence”. There’s going to be a load of bouncers patrolling the streets isn’t there?

It does mean a new avenue of employment for a lot of event stewards who have missed out on a summer of festivals. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

They aren’t going to stop, they’re just going elsewhere. And being sneaky about it.

Practicalities aside. It is starting to make me feel uncomfortable just how much control people are willing and happy to give to the Government (an incompetent, untrustworthy one at that) over this.

And now we get this....

So are they like the green police Glastonbury used to have? 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Shutting pubs and shops over christmas?!

I reckon they will have these rules in place, but won't be enforced at all.

Yup. Something will have to give. If they want to allow unlimited movement and meeting in homes for families, they'll need to reduce the rate elsewhere. With "family" and "consumerism" being the two big pillars of Christmas it'll be a tough choice!

Are any other countries applying this 6 max rule? I don’t get where there hasn’t been an agreed, tried and tested approach that is being rolled out Internationally.

We’re all fighting the same enemy here, so would have thought we could have come together across the globe to find a ‘best fit’ method in effectively surprising it. Not every country for themselves.