When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

There is no way they can plan for any of this ... huge numbers must remain at home for it to be anything like close to being safe ... 10% of public transport can be used for it to be safe ... if people had cars it just won’t be possible to use them because the traffic situation will just make things impossible in cities  .. 

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Kier just owned Boris on dropping the international comparison slide.

Yes, he absolutely did. Another strong showing from Starmer. Then to bring up that Dr that distanced himself from Boris was great too. 

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes, he absolutely did. Another strong showing from Starmer. Then to bring up that Dr that distanced himself from Boris was great too. 

This tweet sums up the exchange for those not watching:

Why has the Govt stopped publishing a daily international league table of deaths, Starmer asks? Johnson: "International comparisons with other countries, I am advised, are premature". Why publish it for the 7 previous weeks then, asks Starmer, because we're now second top? #PMQs

29 minutes ago, Homer said:

This tweet sums up the exchange for those not watching:

Why has the Govt stopped publishing a daily international league table of deaths, Starmer asks? Johnson: "International comparisons with other countries, I am advised, are premature". Why publish it for the 7 previous weeks then, asks Starmer, because we're now second top? #PMQs

Excellent stuff. I wish this was more heavily publicised, though very good to see the Sun's political editor tweeting it 

17 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Despite my best efforts - I locked myself down more than I week before the official date, I picked up the virus around 12 days ago. It’s more likely to have been from a contaminated surface I think. Maybe at Boots picking up a prescription. Never been closer than 3-4 metres from anyone. I’ve had a dreadful 7 days and only starting to tell people about it now, when I think I’m getting better. Worst was two days veering from puddles of sweat to violent shivering. 

I’ll share a little moment, maybe it will resonate with someone, maybe it’s just embarrassing: in the middle of one night last week I accepted that if I was to die I was ok with that and I wasn’t afraid anymore. It was the most spiritually uplifting moment of my life. 

Bloody hell mate, that sounds awful.  Really glad to hear you're on the mend.

All the best.

17 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Despite my best efforts - I locked myself down more than I week before the official date, I picked up the virus around 12 days ago. It’s more likely to have been from a contaminated surface I think. Maybe at Boots picking up a prescription. Never been closer than 3-4 metres from anyone. I’ve had a dreadful 7 days and only starting to tell people about it now, when I think I’m getting better. Worst was two days veering from puddles of sweat to violent shivering. 

I’ll share a little moment, maybe it will resonate with someone, maybe it’s just embarrassing: in the middle of one night last week I accepted that if I was to die I was ok with that and I wasn’t afraid anymore. It was the most spiritually uplifting moment of my life. 

Oh mate glad you are feeling better. I've had illnesses though where the pain has been so bad that I've had the if I die, so be it moment. It is actually quite a peaceful feeling although for me I have always feared living and being a burden more than death anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Look at that. Starmer within an hour has requested the PM come back to correct at error he made at PMQs. It’s this level of detail that I love.

They have responded. I don’t have the legal knowledge or intelligence but surely Starmer will pull this apart as well?

C188A5AE-8FA4-4C2E-B324-D8DE5FA76645.png

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

They have responded. I don’t have the legal knowledge or intelligence but surely Starmer will pull this apart as well?

really wouldn't be getting in to these fights with Starmer. If there's one thing he will always own the government on, it's this sort of thing.

5 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Realistically visiting all these different places shouldn’t be an issue, as long as it’s only with your own household. It’s likely that some places will still get very busy, but as all the evidence suggests this is not where the risk is. It’s even doubtful there is much risk in places like the supermarkets, the major spread happens in enclosed spaces over an extended period. There are even situations where people in the same household have not got it, but even so this is where the risk is - being cramped together inside for extended periods.

Where the new changes all fall down is if people go to these places and meet up in large groups with other households and friends etc, which unfortunately is bound to happen. As with most things it’s generally a small minority being selfish that ruin it for everyone.

This is the point of view from one of the local mountain rescue teams, it's a fairly extreme example, but after reading about people needing rescuing by other teams or lifeboats this weekend, absolutely possible

At a more everyday level, it'll be harder to distance in shops etc with extra people around.

Not sure if it's been busier. My housemates think it has, but I'm not sure. It's been getting gradually busier over the last couple of weeks anyway. I don't think it'll be too bad, but everyone remembers the weekend before lockdown and is terrified of a repeat.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Starmer will tear this apart. The Speaker could demand the PM comes back to correct the record too. 

That advice was in place on March 12th when transmission in the community was in place. It wasn’t updated till the 13th.

Edited by Ozanne

32 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

This is the point of view from one of the local mountain rescue teams, it's a fairly extreme example, but after reading about people needing rescuing by other teams or lifeboats this weekend, absolutely possible

At a more everyday level, it'll be harder to distance in shops etc with extra people around.

Not sure if it's been busier. My housemates think it has, but I'm not sure. It's been getting gradually busier over the last couple of weeks anyway. I don't think it'll be too bad, but everyone remembers the weekend before lockdown and is terrified of a repeat.

I know you acknowledge that it’s an extreme example, but a lot of it seems to describing the intricacies of a mountain rescue which is no doubt complicated at the best of times. I appreciate Covid would make it much harder, but I’ve got to take issue with point 14. The guys foot is hanging off half way up a mountain, he’s in agony but they can’t give him pain relief due to risk of contamination? So they have to reset it without it and put him through excruciating pain.

As with a lot of things when it comes to Covid (cancer patients being denied treatment, operations being put back etc) something more serious is ranked as a lower importance.

I get what they’re trying to do with this post, I really do. But a lot of the guidance around Covid is just that, guidance. It’s going to be impossible to stick to all of the time, like on public transport at the moment. If somebody breaks their leg up a mountain and their life is at risk some common sense needs to be used regarding how it’s dealt with.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I know you acknowledge that it’s an extreme example, but a lot of it seems to describing the intricacies of a mountain rescue which is no doubt complicated at the best of times. I appreciate Covid would make it much harder, but I’ve got to take issue with point 14. The guys foot is hanging off half way up a mountain, he’s in agony but they can’t give him pain relief due to risk of contamination? So they have to reset it without it and put him through excruciating pain.

As with a lot of things when it comes to Covid (cancer patients being denied treatment, operations being put back etc) something more serious is ranked as a lower importance.

I get what they’re trying to do with this post, I really do. But a lot of the guidance around Covid is just that, guidance. It’s going to be impossible to stick to all of the time, like on public transport at the moment. If somebody breaks their leg up a mountain and their life is at risk some common sense needs to be used regarding how it’s dealt with.

The point is though, none of it is an issue if you don't go up the mountain. You don't need to go up the mountain. You don't need to come to the Lake District from Manchester, or Birmingham, or London or where ever. Doing so potentially makes things worse. The writer was taking things to the nth degree to make a point. I don't know anyone on that particular team, but I do know some on other teams. And they'd go out if they could when called. But some are shielding, some are medics

Its not just mountain rescue, there just aren't the facilities open to service a big influx of people, if it were to happen.  Or medical facilities to cope with a potential increase in cases. We already have the 3rd highest rate in the country, (and the highest not far away in Barrow) although it's not clear how much of that is down to increased testing. Not to mention an older than average population

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

The point is though, none of it is an issue if you don't go up the mountain. You don't need to go up the mountain. You don't need to come to the Lake District from Manchester, or Birmingham, or London or where ever. Doing so potentially makes things worse. The writer was taking things to the nth degree to make a point. I don't know anyone on that particular team, but I do know some on other teams. And they'd go out if they could when called. But some are shielding, some are medics

Its not just mountain rescue, there just aren't the facilities open to service a big influx of people, if it were to happen.  Or medical facilities to cope with a potential increase in cases. We already have the 3rd highest rate in the country, (and the highest not far away in Barrow) although it's not clear how much of that is down to increased testing. Not to mention an older than average population

I do 100% appreciate all of that, as I said I understand why they have laid it out like that and what they are trying to do. They don’t want people going there and causing this type of issue in the first place and this is an attempt to discourage people, it makes sense. I think sometimes though there is a risk with Covid of chucking the baby out with the bath water. Taking it to my own extreme nth degree, it’s like somebody stepping off the pavement to maintain two metres and getting run over by a lorry.