When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But what's the alternative? 

We stop treating COVID, there are impacts to that too. Economically a hell of a lot of people will just lock themselves away until they can get the vaccine, so there would still be mass job losses. 

In my ideal world we would have done a New Zealand and minimised this a lot more much earlier. We didn't and so we have always had to balance economy and health. Health to be honest will be screwed for decades to come because of this anyway. I personally know so many people who are waiting for serious operations and would never be waiting this long if it weren't for COVID. I think Andy Burnham has a valid point though because a lot of the industries that suffer are a high proportion of minimum wage workers and many on zero hours contracts or a small number of hours contracts (but in normal times they always get enough overtime to make a full time job) Those people need proper financial support. 

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That’s why the financial support needs to be adequate money is going to be number 1 worry I would think  ... I’ve little knowledge of the economy and debt ... but can we not just pay it off when this shit has ended ? If we need to ... ? 

I kind of agree with you. At the end of the day money is a construct and if we had decent moral people leading the world they'd just say let's write this off as a bad year like they did with lots of 3rd world debt as a result of the drop the debt campaign but they won't because some countries have been better than others and any competitive advantage will be used. It's also not just money though. A lot of business owners are going to lose their businesses and even though it is ridiculous circumstances some will feel that sense of failure keenly. A lot of people in these industries work in them because they are extroverts. Being told to stay at home alone for months on end with inadequate income and support will be too much for some. Then there are people at the other end of the spectrum who are working harder and longer hours than ever and that takes its toll as well. 

I don't know that there is a right answer of how we do things. Every county in the world has had its challenges and nobody has done it perfectly but we do seem to be living in a country that's doing its best to do it most imperfectly!! 

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

A lot of business owners are going to lose their businesses and even though it is ridiculous circumstances some will feel that sense of failure keenly. A lot of people in these industries work in them because they are extroverts. Being told to stay at home alone for months on end with inadequate income and support will be too much for some. Then there are people at the other end of the spectrum who are working harder and longer hours than ever and that takes its toll as well.

again money though isn't it ... thats what we all need to survive thats unfortunately the crux of it all ... even creatives cant survive without money ... those businesses and people need to be there and ready once this shit starts drawing to a close ( and it will we just have a bump to get over ) the creativity isn't suddenly going to disappear it will be bottled and ready to go with some new ideas .... the sense of failure I dont think will be so bad if they can be ready to go again .... 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

again money though isn't it ... thats what we all need to survive thats unfortunately the crux of it all ... even creatives cant survive without money ... those businesses and people need to be there and ready once this shit starts drawing to a close ( and it will we just have a bump to get over ) the creativity isn't suddenly going to disappear it will be bottled and ready to go with some new ideas .... the sense of failure I dont think will be so bad if they can be ready to go again .... 

I watched a really good show on YouTube last night about what’s next with the economy, it’s with Grace Blakeley if you are interested?

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I watched a really good show on YouTube last night about what’s next with the economy, it’s with Grace Blakeley if you are interested?

yep im always interested in being informed more :) thanks , Its been obviously shit times for all and myself .... I hate my work and dont feel safe one bit .... and at the end of the week I think to myself im glad thats another week ive survived .... but what im trying to do is look at things in the longer term , im fortunate that my job is secure and im in a decent financial position .... but I have a job and longer term im going to be looking at what might be coming up in terms of trying something completely new 

Edited by crazyfool1

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

After watching today’s debate it’s clear that a lot of people are making some serious money out of this crisis. I wouldn’t be surprised if the government are deliberately dragging it out so their buddies can keep getting their big consultancy fees. 

There needs to be a major inquiry on how this money is being spent. 

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the government are deliberately dragging it out so their buddies can keep getting their big consultancy fees.

I was pondering this the other day, milk it for as long as they can and then throw hancock under the bus.

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep im always interested in being informed more :) thanks , Its been obviously shit times for all and myself .... I hate my work and dont feel safe one bit .... and at the end of the week I think to myself im glad thats another week ive survived .... but what im trying to do is look at things in the longer term , im fortunate that my job is secure and im in a decent financial position .... but I have a job and longer term im going to be looking at what might be coming up in terms of trying something completely new 

It’s fairly long but I found it interesting. 

15 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

I was pondering this the other day, milk it for as long as they can and then throw hancock under the bus.

I've got a funny feeling that proper, normal governmental decisions will start around February, or whenever the logistical/food/medical supply issues are dealt with after Brexit... 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This sort of thing really makes my blood boil, killing thousands of innocent people, while siphoning cash from the the taxpayers to help their mates, I honestly don't know how this bunch of layabout, privileged c*nts can sleep at night. I hope they rot in hell

4 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

This sort of thing really makes my blood boil, killing thousands of innocent people, while siphoning cash from the the taxpayers to help their mates, I honestly don't know how this bunch of layabout, privileged c*nts can sleep at night. I hope they rot in hell

In another period of time this was basically high treason. Stealing from the crown usually meant your head on a chopping block. 

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s per consultant. Apparently there’s over 1000 management consultants involved in TiT

There’s only one tit I can think of. 

D1164496-3A35-4DF8-A7DB-83C98AF26021.jpeg

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've got a funny feeling that proper, normal governmental decisions will start around February, or whenever the logistical/food/medical supply issues are dealt with after Brexit... 

I hope you're right but I worry that without EU regulations this is merely the sign of things to come and as always it will be the poorest who foot the bill and suffer. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I still don't get how they've spent £12 billion on that sack of s*** though, even with those ridiculous fees- what has the money actually gone on?

1000 consultants at 1.5 million a year is 1.5 billion gone instantly. That’s if they were paid for a years work up front. 

There’s multiple levels of outsourcing which the government won’t divulge the details of. 

The debate today has certainly raised a lot of questions and hopefully the ethical journalists of this country can dig up some answers over the next day or two. 

Hopefully a petition asking to investigate the spending on Serco will also appear not that they ever do much good. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I still don't get how they've spent £12 billion on that sack of s*** though, even with those ridiculous fees- what has the money actually gone on?

The app is really quite useless. Someone I live with is being told to self isolate for 11 days after matching a positive contact. No one else in the house has had a similar notification despite us all having been in the same place when said contact took place. I know it's common sense now that the rest of us also isolate but assuming we didn't live together we wouldn't have known

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

1000 consultants at 1.5 million a year is 1.5 billion gone instantly. That’s if they were paid for a years work up front. 

There’s multiple levels of outsourcing which the government won’t divulge the details of. 

The debate today has certainly raised a lot of questions and hopefully the ethical journalists of this country can dig up some answers over the next day or two. 

Hopefully a petition asking to investigate the spending on Serco will also appear not that they ever do much good. 

Agreed- it's still a crazy, crazy amount, something has gone seriously wrong there, beyond even the usual levels of 'money for mates'