Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds...

gooner1990

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not sure there’s any perhaps about it. Consensus has been on here for a while that he’s a done deal.

Apologies!

I couldn’t see a thread and the Cornwall one only got announced yesterday.

Saw him twice in 2018 (London & Oxford) then in Tokyo in 2019 (I was in Asia for two weeks on holiday) brilliant each time but I wonder if he’ll tweak his usual set list for a more Oasis themed singalong.

I really enjoyed seeing NGFHB. Some of the solo stuff is really strong and then the Oasis tunes to close was a load of fun. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I do like Noel. His 75 minute set at Mad Cool flew by and it was a perfect festival set, wedged between two of the acts I specifically went to see. It was a really fun interlude of sorts and I think will work well on the Pyramid. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I really enjoyed seeing NGFHB. Some of the solo stuff is really strong and then the Oasis tunes to close was a load of fun. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I do like Noel. His 75 minute set at Mad Cool flew by and it was a perfect festival set, wedged between two of the acts I specifically went to see. It was a really fun interlude of sorts and I think will work well on the Pyramid. 

I agree with this, Noel will be good warming the crowd up for Macca. His recent solo output has been strong and he'll break out the big Oasis singalongs - DLBIA, Masterplan, HTWA...

It'll be good.

1 minute ago, reflekting said:

1000x he is better than Liam live and the solo stuff is far better. Not sure I understand the hype with Liam's new output, sounds the same as Beady Eye, in some ways even worse. Noel's third album was a nice change up for sure. 

I try not to do a direct comparison as it's not a case of taking sides or one being better than the other, but based on the setlists he'd definitely be my preference for the greater focus given to his non-Oasis material

15 minutes ago, reflekting said:

1000x he is better than Liam live and the solo stuff is far better. Not sure I understand the hype with Liam's new output, sounds the same as Beady Eye, in some ways even worse. Noel's third album was a nice change up for sure. 

I refer the jury to exhibit A;

"She fell, she fell, right under my spell,
Hold up, pretty baby, come on.
She danced, she danced, right into my hands,
Hold up, pretty baby, come on."

Seen Noel a couple of times. Both as a supporting act, IOW sub for Springsteen and support for U2 stadium show. Enjoyed both and crowd sang along to Oasis tunes very happily. Would not bother going to one of his own gigs but he will put on a good show if subbing. He seemed to get his ranking and played his part. Subbing Macca would appear ideal.

Just now, gooner1990 said:

NG is not silly, he will know with a large audience in front of him and watching at home (esp if leading into Macca) to put on a good show with plenty of Oasis singalongs..

Not as many as you'd think I reckon. He'll wheel out a couple to keep the crowd happy, but he's got the confidence in his solo material not to just be a nostalgia set

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not as many as you'd think I reckon. He'll wheel out a couple to keep the crowd happy, but he's got the confidence in his solo material not to just be a nostalgia set

When I’ve seen him over the last couple of years you usually get 4-5 Oasis numbers each gig.

His solo material has, in my opinion, been very good, especially the last album which is his most interesting body of work to date. I've seen him live three times and always enjoyed them. And certainly these days he tends not to attract the 'Pretty Green and ridiculous sideburns' crowd that Liam attracts so the atmosphere doesn't have that slightly sinister tone that latter day Oasis gigs had.

I think he'll go down a treat on a sunny Saturday evening (fingers crossed!) before the Pyramid main course