Ones to Watch in 2020

anditmakesmesmile

Blackwaters are a band to keep an eye out in 2020. Saw these at Tramlines for the first time, also they supported The Libertines at a few of their shows and they were on the BBC introducing stage at Leeds/Reading. Hopefully some big things for them next year. 

The OtW2020 playlist from everyone’s suggestions is now 38 acts strong. I’ve not included acts who have already released albums or those who have been active for more than three years but from whom 2019 saw fewer releases (suggesting the brightness of their light was already fading). 
It will be interesting to see how many make the lineup. 
Here is a link to the playlist.

• Upvote 4

Another vote for Kid Kapichi

I’d also add Lauran Hibberd 

From down under but yet to crack the UK, Benee has been doing good things in NZ and Australia and I’d expect she starts to make a splash soon.

Not strictly meeting the criteria as they released a debut Album in August, but Waax a great Australian Alt-rock band

From Scotland, Released a debut in October, Declan Welsh and the Decadent West. Maybe played Leftfield last year?

Edited by Gregfc15

20 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Porridge Radio,  Scalping,  The Comet is Coming,  Murder Capital, Audio Books,  Flaming Gods and Squid. I have seen all these bands at least twice and they get better.

I didn't realise The Comet Is Coming were on their 2nd album (plus 3 EPs) until a couple of months ago. I only discovered them via Glastonbury but definitely think their on an upwards trend! 

On 12/30/2019 at 2:24 PM, TKOCF said:

No clue what genre to even call these guys:

100 Gecs

I'd been meaning to listen to these for a while coz the album seemed to be everywhere but this description is what made me go for it in the end. Is it good? I've had the album on all afternoon and I have 0 idea if I'm laughing at it or with it. I think I've enjoyed it though? I had a similar thing with No Bra's latest one last month.

15 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I'd been meaning to listen to these for a while coz the album seemed to be everywhere but this description is what made me go for it in the end. Is it good? I've had the album on all afternoon and I have 0 idea if I'm laughing at it or with it. I think I've enjoyed it though? I had a similar thing with No Bra's latest one last month.

It's quite absurd, you'll either hate it for being to memey or it'll win you over.

27 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I’m kind of in the same mind. It feel like music that’s not from this dimension, and it sounds awful but I was humming Money Machine at work today. 

11 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Audio Books

Love Audiobooks. This is my favourite song of theirs as well. They’ll be releasing a new album this year by all accounts. 

Although they’ve released an album already, they’re still newer than most of the acts mentioned. They’ve been barely going a year. So still think they count.

20 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

It's quite absurd, you'll either hate it for being to memey or it'll win you over.

20 hours ago, TKOCF said:

I’m kind of in the same mind. It feel like music that’s not from this dimension, and it sounds awful but I was humming Money Machine at work today. 

I think it'll get some more plays from me, not one I'll get out at a house party though ahah

On 1/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Love Audiobooks. This is my favourite song of theirs as well. They’ll be releasing a new album this year by all accounts. 

Although they’ve released an album already, they’re still newer than most of the acts mentioned. They’ve been barely going a year. So still think they count.

Yea Brill