A little poll to get a feel for where efestivaler's 'heads are at'

Chrisp1986

A little poll to get a feel for where efestivaler's 'heads are at'  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options best describes you?

• I am trying on Thursday as I would rather get the coach.
    • I am trying on Thursday but would rather have general sale.
    • I am waiting until Sunday.

17 hours ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Everyone’s circumstances are different, but for me any chance of a ticket has to be worth a try!

Having said that...

The only year I had a coach ticket the bus never arrived due to weather related chaos and I ended up taking the train instead.  Got to the site and tickets were still with the driver who was sat in a lay-by somewhere having exceeded his driving hours.

Ticket office still wouldn’t let me in even though they had been in contact with the driver and knew I had a valid ticket.

Tickets eventually arrived around midnight after the driver had a nice nap.

This tale gives me the heebejeebees.... That is not how you want to start your weekend 

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Possibly needs a fourth voting option?

Along the lines of:

I will be trying on Thursday with never any intention of going by coach, but am in fact just doing a dress rehearsal for Sunday and thereby clogging up the queue and bandwidth for genuine coach wanters and am deffo waiting 'till Sunday. (though that's possibly easy for me to say as I have a work option as back up).

Plus pretty much everything @Pinheadhas stated in this thread is true in my experience.

I was recently introduced to a person at work whos crowd are quite apparently quite prepared to do the, "get whatever coach tickets we can on the Thursday, we would rather not have to, but that's what it's come to to get in...", type thing. They honestly don't seem to mind dropping the cash to do the "get Glasgow coach tickets even though we're in Kent", thing.

"We drove a couple of cars to Castle Cary from Kent. Got a train back to Kent. Then we all got a train to London from Kent. In order to get a plane to Glasgow. in order to get a coach to Glastonbury". is honestly what they told me. Really thought that type of thing may have been an urban myth I'd picked up from a certain forum I frequent, but they convinced me that that is the lengths that they will go to.

Not very green and kind of defeats the point doesn't it?

It always really bugs me on the Friday when you see multiple people posting saying "Didn't want coach tickets, but just logged on to see how busy/easy it was". Really frustrating for those of us trying.

Have to say though I think your second example is still on the extreme side and I bet the amount of people doing this is minimal. Parking is pretty limited at Castle Cary and it would require a heck of a lot of funds plus extra time off work.

Persuaded my sceptical group to go for the coach this year although they would rather go for the Sunday sale (we probably will anyway after disappointment tomorrow).

I've done the coach a few times and it can be a lottery regarding traffic, 09 and 16 being the worst but hey ho, it beats not getting a ticket at all.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, Pinhead said:

Coaches kind of defeat the point of what Glasto is trying to achive I think. Loads of people I know going for coach tix this year as the allocation has increased, but will drive (or travel at least) to where the pickup is. That means more journeys - ergo more carbon surely?

True, but it does reduce the traffic on those tiny country roads near the site. One bus instead of twenty cars makes quite a difference.

Edit - only now flicking through the rest of the thread. This point was of course covered already.

Personally I have never owned a car, so the See coach is actually easier than general public transport in that you are amongst folks who don’t frown upon you travelling with a big pack.

Edited by Watergirl

15 hours ago, lukethekid said:

How are you getting all your garys in to the festival having to travel through an airport?

If I've interpreted this correctly:

The person in question is not a gary type, and given that, I presume that none of his party are either, but, given that it is an internal flight there shouldn't be any Border Force types checking to see whether there are any garys in the party ;).

16 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Possibly needs a fourth voting option?

Along the lines of:

I will be trying on Thursday with never any intention of going by coach, but am in fact just doing a dress rehearsal for Sunday and thereby clogging up the queue and bandwidth for genuine coach wanters and am deffo waiting 'till Sunday. (though that's possibly easy for me to say as I have a work option as back up).

Plus pretty much everything @Pinheadhas stated in this thread is true in my experience.

I was recently introduced to a person at work whos crowd are quite apparently quite prepared to do the, "get whatever coach tickets we can on the Thursday, we would rather not have to, but that's what it's come to to get in...", type thing. They honestly don't seem to mind dropping the cash to do the "get Glasgow coach tickets even though we're in Kent", thing.

"We drove a couple of cars to Castle Cary from Kent. Got a train back to Kent. Then we all got a train to London from Kent. In order to get a plane to Glasgow. in order to get a coach to Glastonbury". is honestly what they told me. Really thought that type of thing may have been an urban myth I'd picked up from a certain forum I frequent, but they convinced me that that is the lengths that they will go to.

Not very green and kind of defeats the point doesn't it?

And this is kind of what I have had from some. Not a reason to diss the idea of coaches and the advantages they bring to local traffic management for example, but yeah the 'greenness' is maybe getting eroded by the pick them up anywhere in the UK crowd. Dont get me started on the coach ticket speculators either- grr.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:36 AM, Charm said:

Only trying for the main sale, I want to go for coach but Mr Charm says no. 

If I fail I’m not going for the resales, will be escaping to Ibiza during festival week, went there during the fallow and this year, had a fantastic time, it’s a good Glastonbury replacement for me. 

Charm x

Youve been to shedloads of Glasto's tho haven't you - would that then be the first that youve missed since the 80s?

On 10/1/2019 at 9:05 AM, mazola said:

First year trying for coach for me, need to give myself as many chances as I can after nearly missing out last year.

Coach, Sunday, Oxfam, Resale, then hammering Oxfam again up until the last minute (which is how I got there last year)

Heh, pretty mucj my plan minus the coach. Are you on the Oxfam Priority list?

8 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

And this is kind of what I have had from some. Not a reason to diss the idea of coaches and the advantages they bring to local traffic management for example, but yeah the 'greenness' is maybe getting eroded by the pick them up anywhere in the UK crowd. Dont get me started on the coach ticket speculators either- grr.

Yep.

The party I am on about all have two registrations. If they are successful on the Thursday, they will still try again on the Sunday with their second reg.no., as they would rather transport themselves and lose the £10/£20 Thursday deposits. Cheaper than doing the "Live in Kent - Coach from Glasgow", thing.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Yep.

The party I am on about all have two registrations. If they are successful on the Thursday, they will still try again on the Sunday with their second reg.no., as they would rather transport themselves and lose the £10/£20 Thursday deposits. Cheaper than doing the "Live in Kent - Coach from Glasgow", thing.

Pretty sure they cancel al tickets for these type of people

9 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

They cancel one ticket if you end up with two, the one that was purchased last - it happened to me last year as one of the groups I was in had an old registration number for me that was still valid.

I'll be hitting the coach-sale Thursday but only for Leicester/Nottingham as going to city where you don't have group members to coach down is unethical (its not green and stops people in that city getting the coach).

To be honest - the state I was in for the Monday drive back this year, it would probably be safer for all, My Sunday all-nighter + a 6 hour drive home was potentially lethal.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

They should filter that out on the database ideally tho I bet they dont...

27 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

8 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

They cancel one ticket if you end up with two, the one that was purchased last - it happened to me last year as one of the groups I was in had an old registration number for me that was still valid.

I'll be hitting the coach-sale Thursday but only for Leicester/Nottingham as going to city where you don't have group members to coach down is unethical (its not green and stops people in that city getting the coach).

To be honest - the state I was in for the Monday drive back this year, it would probably be safer for all, My Sunday all-nighter + a 6 hour drive home was potentially lethal.

What if your second registration is under a different name and address? Would be pretty hard to screen against I'd imagine. They'd have to check every single photo against every other single photo wouldn't they?

I myself somehow ended up with a second registration as MRS First Name/Last Name, rather than MR First Name/Last Name. Address, Postcode and Photo are still the same. They may check for that kind of double up, which maybe what happened to @PenrhosI guess?

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

If I've interpreted this correctly:

The person in question is not a gary type, and given that, I presume that none of his party are either, but, given that it is an internal flight there shouldn't be any Border Force types checking to see whether there are any garys in the party ;).

Played for both Liverpool & Everton 

626F7371-7E90-4E42-9652-1BB7ACBDABF0.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

What if your second registration is under a different name and address? Would be pretty hard to screen against I'd imagine. They'd have to check every single photo against every other single photo wouldn't they?

I myself somehow ended up with a second registration as MRS First Name/Last Name, rather than MR First Name/Last Name. Address, Postcode and Photo are still the same. They may check for that kind of double up, which maybe what happened to @PenrhosI guess?

Duplicate names / postcodes easy to identify - incorporating face recognition would be expensive (and error prone). With same names, different addresses registrations they began checking against the electoral role didnt they (as some were even trying Shepton Mallett in order to get into the locals sale at one point years ago).

On 10/1/2019 at 9:02 AM, AmazingAbby said:

I'm still in two minds. The boyfriend dreads the idea of a coach but it is another chance at going. I've never seriously tried for the coach I normally end up stuck on trains/metros at 6pm!

We used to dread it but we've got into it. No dodgy hungover driving and it forces you to pack light. There are some definite benefits. I just wish they'd tell you the coach times a lot earlier. 

5 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

We used to dread it but we've got into it. No dodgy hungover driving and it forces you to pack light. There are some definite benefits. I just wish they'd tell you the coach times a lot earlier. 

Being able to sleep on the way back would be a godsend! We'd also avoid the grumpy bickering we end up doing the whole walk back to the car/slow drive out because we're so tired and everything's over. Not knowing the timings and everything is the only crap part I'm annoyingly over organised about trip planning so it doesn't sit well with me but I'm sure I could suck it up if it means going over not.

Going for coach, would be travelling via coach even if we get General sale but want to give ourselves the best chance. Coach is perfect for us, the station in Liverpool is basically right at the bottom of our street & there's nothing more satisfying than knowing that you'll be in bed within 5 minutes of getting off the coach on the Monday. Only thing I'm slightly worried about if we get lucky today is the prospect of being allocated a shite time slot - but "In is in"!

Another plus of getting lucky today is that our other group will have a few extra heads on Sunday if they don't manage to bag tonight!

Edited by BOBBY_FIRMINO

15 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Youve been to shedloads of Glasto's tho haven't you - would that then be the first that youve missed since the 80s?

I didn’t attend 09-14 and only started getting lucky in sales from 2015, mates had always got mine for previous festivals and as my Glastonbury gang has now dwindled to 2, I’m the only one seriously trying. I’m also guessing my newbies will be pretty useless on the day and having a back up plan feels good.

Wishing you lots of luck. 

Charm x 

13 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

These type of people....... Are the same as you and I old son.. They are just trying to make sure they get the golden ticket.. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Charm said:

I didn’t attend 09-14 and only started getting lucky in sales from 2015, mates had always got mine for previous festivals and as my Glastonbury gang has now dwindled to 2, I’m the only one seriously trying. I’m also guessing my newbies will be pretty useless on the day and having a back up plan feels good.

Wishing you lots of luck. 

Charm x 

Didn't realise that - thought it was one of the few 'unbroken lines' on here tbh. And good luck to you to - like you there is a much smaller contingent of people from my circle going now (as we're all old farts :)), but certainly seems popular here at work this year....