Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

19 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Oh Cool, good luck! What position do you play? I've just signed up for the local team.

Midfield - though it seems that my box-to-box days of old are behind me and it has been decreed that I am in the holding role! Last season (my first at this club), I used to get a tad frustrated as I'm a bit fitter than most of the other midfielders and abandon my post at times, but I think I might just roll with it this time.

How are you getting on with it?

Just did weights. Good news is that football today has been brought back from 1.30pm to 1pm to apparently combat the heat!

12 hours ago, Homer said:

Midfield - though it seems that my box-to-box days of old are behind me and it has been decreed that I am in the holding role! Last season (my first at this club), I used to get a tad frustrated as I'm a bit fitter than most of the other midfielders and abandon my post at times, but I think I might just roll with it this time. 

Centre half soon then mate! Speaking from experience!

Went to a BBQ at my mate's on Friday evening that turned into an 8 hour session culminating in me finishing off a bottle of jura. 

Kinda scuppered any chance of exercise over the weekend. Booked in for a swim at lunch though, and then will hopefully get back to the gym tomorrow. Still rather disappointed in myself. 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:02 AM, Homer said:

How are you getting on with it?

Just did weights. Good news is that football today has been brought back from 1.30pm to 1pm to apparently combat the heat!

I've always liked the idea of playing as a box to box Midfielder (stamina is quite good) but due to my pace I've always naturally drifted to the wing. I'm really enjoying the training, so will just keep plucking away in hope that I can break into the team.

Edited by Kalopsia

15 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Well I’ve gone completely arseovertit Yesterday and broken 2 fingers. Still... I don’t run on my hands so back out training tomorrow 🏼🙂

9CC422EC-7ACB-4C77-AD0B-9147610A1DB7.jpeg

Going to trump you on that, at least visually. Cycled up to  the top of the Quantocks tody. On the way down on a steep single track tarmac road over cooked a corner and my bike slid out from under me. Left hand side from ankle to shoulder black and blue with a generous helping of gravel rash. Thankfully nothing broken this time. May upload pics tomorrow...if I'm able to actually drag my sorry arse out of bed! :)

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

9 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Going to trump you on that, at least visually. Cycled up to  the top of the Quantocks tody. On the way down on a steep single track tarmac road over cooked a corner and my bike slid out from under me. Left hand side from ankle to shoulder black and blue with a generous helping of gravel rash. Thankfully nothing broken this time. May upload pics tomorrow...if I'm able to actually drag my sorry arse out of bed! :)

Ffs must be a day of bike accidents my friend turned up at mine ... he’s an x gb cyclist ... not fallen off for 20years rang me to say he’d come off ... thought he was winding me up as he was riding my bike and was returning my iPad ... exactly the same injuries although we thought for a bit his previously pinned shoulder had gone ... his gf picked him up and took him to a and e ... will tell him about the damage to my bike tomoro ... now probably isn’t the best time as he’s feeling a little sorry for himself ... just down my pathway !! 

Edited by crazyfool1

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Managed to run 10km in 51 minutes after work last night, which I'm pretty pleased with however I've got a slightly sore hamstring at the moment which feels fairly innocuous at the moment but I don't want it to worsen, any tips? Are foam rollers a good purchase? 

Rest it for a couple of days. Foam rollers are good though you need good arm strength to do your hammies as need to support half your body weight on em! Good stretching/yoga important.

35 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Rest it for a couple of days. Foam rollers are good though you need good arm strength to do your hammies as need to support half your body weight on em! Good stretching/yoga important.

Might ask a physiotherapist to take a look too, my hamstrings have always been tight, thanks for the advice. :) 

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Im playing an hour of singles badminton tomorow ... that’s gonna be tough ... my first real excercise since lockdown although I’ve done a fair bit of walking :) 

Our local leisure centre still won’t allow badminton at the moment - not played since March! 

Workout at lunchtime was not fun, did the same workout last week with no rest during sets, today struggled to complete one full set without getting a breather in.  Had to rinse out the gym gear afterwards as well.  The before and after weigh in was interesting though.

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Our local leisure centre still won’t allow badminton at the moment - not played since March! 

singles is allowed under the government restrictions and doubles from 2 households .... i normally play at a club and thats gone to pot for the moment because the hall is being used for gym classes ... that might be the issue ... https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/return-to-play/

Edited by crazyfool1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:23 AM, John the Moth said:

Well I’ve gone completely arseovertit Yesterday and broken 2 fingers. Still... I don’t run on my hands so back out training tomorrow 🏼🙂

9CC422EC-7ACB-4C77-AD0B-9147610A1DB7.jpeg

Oh no! Did you fall over running? 

I've only done it once and felt like a kid again with grazes on my hands! It stings like a bitch!..Obviously broken fingers are also very painful!

I did a 24 mile walk on Sunday in the heat which was pretty brutal, I'm sticking to 5/ 10 ks before work this week with a boot camp Friday and long run (16km) Saturday once it's cooled down. The heat just completely saps my energy and I find it hard to push myself. 

4 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Might ask a physiotherapist to take a look too, my hamstrings have always been tight, thanks for the advice. :) 

Sports massage too!!

Know a cracking one on the Wirral. She's evil. The best type. Well, evil massage anyway, she's a nice person! 

Edited by Superscally

7 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

Oh no! Did you fall over running? 

I've only done it once and felt like a kid again with grazes on my hands! It stings like a bitch!..Obviously broken fingers are also very painful!

I did a 24 mile walk on Sunday in the heat which was pretty brutal, I'm sticking to 5/ 10 ks before work this week with a boot camp Friday and long run (16km) Saturday once it's cooled down. The heat just completely saps my energy and I find it hard to push myself. 

Yeah? Problem is I pitched sideways so full weight on to one hand, fingers first. Scan shows I’ve actually bust 3. Surgery tomorrow 😱

17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

singles is allowed under the government restrictions and doubles from 2 households .... i normally play at a club and thats gone to pot for the moment because the hall is being used for gym classes ... that might be the issue ... https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/return-to-play/

I think our one is using the space for a socially distanced gym.