Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

8 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Very tight...I stretched and put ice on it last night. But it just doesn't feel right, I hope with some more rest it will heal up.

I'd avoid stretching it out if it's feeling pain.  If you've got a strain or a little tear, stretching will likely make it worse!  Think it's what we were talking about the other week, learning by feel that difference between tight and damaged 

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd avoid stretching it out if it's feeling pain.  If you've got a strain or a little tear, stretching will likely make it worse!  Think it's what we were talking about the other week, learning by feel that difference between tight and damaged 

The physiotherapist I saw gave me a set of stretches to do every evening but I think I've probably been over zealous and overstretched! Lets hope a weekend of doing nothing will encourage it to heal :)

A rubbish couple of weeks, put a bit of timber on due to eating out a lot and not really being able to do much exercise with the new addition to the family.  Possibly developed a few extra dad muscles though but need to get back on the cardio again and shift a few pounds.  Sore achillies hasn't helped either.  Plenty of time to pick back up before Glasto 2021 though and the crappier weather helps with less chance of sitting in the garden and having a few drink.

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

Just treated myself to a Garmin Forerunner 245 music, hopefully it won't be long until I can put it to use. 

Awesome! I got one for my husband for his birthday and he loves it!

I think I might need to treat myself too... I deserve it haha :) 

15 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

The physiotherapist I saw gave me a set of stretches to do every evening but I think I've probably been over zealous and overstretched! Lets hope a weekend of doing nothing will encourage it to heal :)

Yeah, sorry I meant that stretching it out immediately after feeling pain like it sounds like you did on your run might be a bit counterproductive. Not trying to tell you your physio's got it wrong! :lol:

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

Awesome! I got one for my husband for his birthday and he loves it!

I think I might need to treat myself too... I deserve it haha :) 

I'm looking forward to it! 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Yeah, sorry I meant that stretching it out immediately after feeling pain like it sounds like you did on your run might be a bit counterproductive. Not trying to tell you your physio's got it wrong! :lol:

Ahh yes that is actually quite smart! Haha. I'll see how it feels and be careful not to over stretch it. 

So I went back to my boxing gym on Tuesday, I let my ego get the best of me and went straight back in on the weights that I used pre-lock down... any way now I've done something to my neck and can't fully turn my head and it's pretty painful! 😩

Does anyone have any advice on how to treat it? The internet (Dr Google) says rest but I was just wondering if anyone has had similar and sped up recovery? I've been for a couple of runs since but as it turns out having a mobile pain free neck is actually needed for running!  

7 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

So I went back to my boxing gym on Tuesday, I let my ego get the best of me and went straight back in on the weights that I used pre-lock down... any way now I've done something to my neck and can't fully turn my head and it's pretty painful! 😩

Does anyone have any advice on how to treat it? The internet (Dr Google) says rest but I was just wondering if anyone has had similar and sped up recovery? I've been for a couple of runs since but as it turns out having a mobile pain free neck is actually needed for running!  

Iburofen, gentle mobility exercises.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Just went to the gym with a hangover and did 40 mins of cardio machines and it actually sorted me out. Not sure what that's about.

Me and my mate used to often play squash the morning after a heavy night. Definitely sorted me out. 

We then used to go have another couple of pints. 

3 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Posted this in the When will this shit end but parkrun is planning to come back end of October in England: https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2020/09/07/return-of-parkrun-announcement/

I really hope they can do this safely.

My local parkrun regularly had 500+ runners, not sure how that would work safely. Staggered start times?

Oosh, ramping up the training properly now.  Had our first PT session in the park on Friday, still suffering from DOMS in the hamstrings today! Lots of kettlebell work, burpees and nasty shite like that.  Does the job though.  Got out in the downs last night for the first loaded run since January, 15lb/7kg bag + boots, 12km in just under 90 mins with 285m of climbing.

Figure if I stick with it then come the gates opening next June I should be able to run fully laden across the farm to get the best camping spot! :lol:

Does a friendly 5-a-side kickabout (leisure centre outdoors AstroTurf pitch - that we pay to hire out) count as an ‘organised team sport’?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/sport-pilots-to-be-reduced-in-capacity-to-1000-people-socially-distanced
They’ve also said parkrun can still go ahead.

Edited by Ryan1984

57 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Does a friendly 5-a-side kickabout (leisure centre outdoors AstroTurf pitch - that we pay to hire out) count as an ‘organised team sport’?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/sport-pilots-to-be-reduced-in-capacity-to-1000-people-socially-distanced
They’ve also said parkrun can still go ahead.

I’d say yes it does ... by making a call to make the booking of the pitch that makes it organised .... whereas a kick about at a local park might not be ... as that’s quite an easy way to sidestep the rules .... take a  ball but meet up with friends ... doesn’t matter how often the ball gets kicked 

18 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

That’s what I thought (especially as an exchange of money is involved). Now, if the kids who don’t pay who play on the pitch next to us show up it’s a different story...

yep indeed although in reality if I were in the other group id be pretty miffed if the police imposed powers on my group .... although  I really cant see it happening .... the police are gonna be stretched enough