Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

4 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Had a week off running, not by choice really just got to busy with work to find the time. First run back last night and it hurt. Crazy how quickly I’ve dropped off and lost fitness, or maybe it was just a placebo effect and my head was stopping me from performing better. Will be out for another hill run tonight to punish those legs!

Yes frustrating how quickly we lose it. I am expecting getting back to Pilates once the gyms open to me like starting from scratch. 

36 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes frustrating how quickly we lose it. I am expecting getting back to Pilates once the gyms open to me like starting from scratch. 

Terrifying how 7 days off has impacted me. Before my week break my last run was 19km and I didn’t get out of breath once. Last night during a 6km I sounded asthmatic! 

Just now, The Clearest Blue said:

Terrifying how 7 days off has impacted me. Before my week break my last run was 19km and I didn’t get out of breath once. Last night during a 6km I sounded asthmatic! 

when I get back to the pool ... Im not expecting to be able to  swim .... let alone do my usual 2k .... after 18ish weeks away ... ive lost count now :( 

59 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Although I find the good news is that if you've had your fitness in the past it seems to come back quicker. I don't know if it's muscle memory or just mentally knowing that you have been able to do it in the past makes it a bit easier. 

Definitely this.  The body finds it much easier to get back to somewhere it's been before than to do it from scratch.  The longer you leave it the trickier it is, but it's definitely noticeable.

Couple of sessions and you'll be back on it :)

As we're in no rush to get back to the gym I've just ordered spare training wheels for myself and Mrs Q to use on the turbo trainer.  She's got the Les Mills on demand membership, and their spin classes are pretty good so that's going to be the alternative. Bit of a pain in the bum as it's meant ordering new wheels, tyres and cassettes, but that means we can just switch wheels on and off if we're on the road or in the garage without having to faff around changing tyres.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Although I find the good news is that if you've had your fitness in the past it seems to come back quicker. I don't know if it's muscle memory or just mentally knowing that you have been able to do it in the past makes it a bit easier. 

This is definitely the case for me. I started running in 2007, I was completely unfit and couldn't jog for more than a minute at the start. I love running when I'm into a routine, but often in winter I'll let it slip, sometimes for 3 months. Yet when I go back out for that tentative first mile or two, I can always do it without stopping (lungs are usually fine, it's the tight muscles and lactic acid that get me!).

My tried and tested method of tricking myself into it in those lazy days is to just put my gear on - if I'm not feeling it then I can just change back. By the time I'm lacing up my shoes I'm always raring to go!

I feel like I've got my running mojo back finally which is good as I like to enjoy my runs rather than some kind of form of punishment. 

I have started getting stitches in the last couple of weeks though which is something I never used to struggle with. It must be something I'm eating/ drinking so I'm going to have a little trial and error to see if I can get rid! 

For everyone who is getting back on it, it will come back. You don't lose as much as you think fitness wise and you will definitely not be starting from scratch! 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

Decided that last week's training session wasn't quite taxing enough (joys of 3rd team!) so going to add in cycling there and back instead of taking the car to get the cardio up. About 20km each way, should do the job :)

I go for a cycle the morning I do footie training (only about an hour though!). I do weights when I get back as well mind.

We are only doing drills due to the rules, so doesn't feel all that taxing.

3 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Thinking about getting a running watch, preferably one that works with Strava and budget friendly, any ideas? 

Couldn't in all good conscience recommend a Fitbit as I send my less than year old one off to be repaired as it hasn't been working properly since it was about 6 months old and not working at all now at 10 months old. 

My husband has finally joined Garmin after trying a few that have proved less than ideal after a few months. He likes his Garmin so far. 

3 hours ago, Homer said:

I go for a cycle the morning I do footie training (only about an hour though!). I do weights when I get back as well mind.

We are only doing drills due to the rules, so doesn't feel all that taxing.

Sounds similar tbh. The drills really aren't that hard as it's 3rd team, so I came out of last week's session without having really broken sweat.  Not knocking it and it's good to be up there, but I'm one of (if not the) fittest in that group of players and I want to make sure I'm getting a workout, but the session just didn't really give me that.

Sod's law I'll turn up tonight and they'll have decided to ramp it up, so I'll be cycling home blowing out of my arse and cursing my arrogance! :lol:

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Thinking about getting a running watch, preferably one that works with Strava and budget friendly, any ideas? 

I've had a fitbit ionic for about a year now and I probably wouldn't recommend it. The stats and built in GPS are nice, but it was very buggy for a long time. They seem to have ironed out the bugs a bit now but it's left a bit of a sour taste.

4 hours ago, Waterdeep said:

I've had a fitbit ionic for about a year now and I probably wouldn't recommend it. The stats and built in GPS are nice, but it was very buggy for a long time. They seem to have ironed out the bugs a bit now but it's left a bit of a sour taste.

That's the one I have/had. Bought last August and since December it has been a pain at just syncing my steps. By February I was having to uninstall it and re-install it about once a week. Since May it just stopped syncing completely and when I uninstalled it, it wouldn't let me re-install it and last week it stopped functioning even as a watch so yep I'd give it a miss!! 

28 minutes ago, Homer said:

Went for a run at 9am and almost killed me. Only 5k but was already 21 (London). Not recommended!

Makes me glad I got out before work at 6am, I probably wouldn't have gone otherwise! 

Saturday is my long run day so I've got to try and motivate myself to get out early! 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, The Clearest Blue said:

Had a week off running, not by choice really just got to busy with work to find the time. First run back last night and it hurt. Crazy how quickly I’ve dropped off and lost fitness, or maybe it was just a placebo effect and my head was stopping me from performing better. Will be out for another hill run tonight to punish those legs!

You wouldn't have lost any fitness in a week. Either you were just in a bad diurnal rhythm place, you're generally under par or it was psychological. Takes 2w to see any real fitness drop off.

Coming back to this thread after a bit of time off. Just booked my first race for 2021 - the Brighton Half. Due to a number of factors I’ve been training as much as I should in recent months and have put on a few extra pounds that need shifting.

A new running project is always the best way for me to get motivated.

52 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Anybody managed to sign up to any 10ks or half marathons this year? 

I know most have been cancelled, but wondering if there’s any later in the year still? 

The Paras 10 I signed up for that was meant to be in may has been deferred to November I think, which should make it....interesting. 

Think that's the only one. My local half n Sep doesn't look like it, and the Forest of Dean half I was supposed to in March is pretty much written off until next year.