Glastonbury fan 'loses £16k' over VIP tickets

dulcificum

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

That's not for me to judge, but you're getting confused with how I would feel if someone lost that amount of money with a normal job, with how I feel about someone with a huge amount of money that got most of what he paid for, but feels aggrieved that he hasn't had the moon on a stick. Do I think he has a right to feel upset that he didn't get exactly what he thought he paid for? Yep. Should he have some form of recourse against what is obviously a gang of fly-by-nights? Of course. Am I going to lose sleep over it? No. Will I lose sleep over other more pressing issues? Yes. 

Spot on

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Don't put words in my mouth please. 

I've made it repeatedly clear I don't hate the rich.

I've also made it repeatedly clear that those with the power to improve society should be held to account to do so.

Think how far we have come since the industrial revolution in terms of building a fairer society. That came from the politics of holding the rich and powerful to account.

We need to continue that work. Or would you rather go back to the dark and satanic mills?

Of course I agree with all of that but what has any of it got to do with the guy who paid £16k for Glastonbury tickets? How does this "rich people being held to account" mantra relate to the original argument here?

Just because we think that people shouldn't hate the rich, doesn't mean we don't believe in a fair society. People seem to have a weird idea of what "fair" means though.

12 minutes ago, Superscally said:

That's not for me to judge, but you're getting confused with how I would feel if someone lost that amount of money with a normal job, with how I feel about someone with a huge amount of money that got most of what he paid for, but feels aggrieved that he hasn't had the moon on a stick.

Doesn't matter how much you earn, you deserve to get what you've paid for. Nobody is asking you to lose sleep over a guy who didn't get VIP access to glastonbury but if you're not going to lose sleep over a guy losing £16k for vip access then you shouldn't lose any sleep over somebody with a "normal job" losing £250 if they didn't get their normal tickets delivered to them. It's not different because one has more money than the other.

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Of course I agree with all of that but what has any of it got to do with the guy who paid £16k for Glastonbury tickets? How does this "rich people being held to account" mantra relate to the original argument here?

Just because we think that people shouldn't hate the rich, doesn't mean we don't believe in a fair society. People seem to have a weird idea of what "fair" means though.

Non of it relates to the bloke directly. It was thread drift. I made that clear too.

We haven't discussed what the vision for a "fair" society is. Probably best to leave that for another day ?

I’m interested to know what classifies you as “rich” and why it is only these people who should be held to account as having the power to improve society. 

You could argue that anyone who can afford £250 for a festival ticket is rich. Or anyone with a computer or smart phone. 

So what is this arbitrary level of wealth that is being applied here?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Doesn't matter how much you earn, you deserve to get what you've paid for. Nobody is asking you to lose sleep over a guy who didn't get VIP access to glastonbury but if you're not going to lose sleep over a guy losing £16k for vip access then you shouldn't lose any sleep over somebody with a "normal job" losing £250 if they didn't get their normal tickets delivered to them. It's not different because one has more money than the other.

No it's different because one paid the regular price for normal tickets and went to the effort of registering, making sure he was available at 9am on ticket day, spent time trying to get tickets and being lucky. This guy put NONE of that effort in, he tried to get in by buying tickets that should not have been for sale THAT is why I for one won't worry about him. He took a gamble and lost, that's the way it goes sometimes.

8 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

I’m interested to know what classifies you as “rich” and why it is only these people who should be held to account as having the power to improve society. 

You could argue that anyone who can afford £250 for a festival ticket is rich. Or anyone with a computer or smart phone. 

So what is this arbitrary level of wealth that is being applied here?

asked this several pages back and still none the wiser !!  many people would class you as rich to be able to afford £250 for a ticket when they don't have a pot to piss in. 

and people assuming the guy in question is wealthy, "oh he's a director, must be loaded, must earn a bomb !" I'm a company directory, a million miles from being wealthy or earning a bomb. 

39 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

No it's different because one paid the regular price for normal tickets and went to the effort of registering, making sure he was available at 9am on ticket day, spent time trying to get tickets and being lucky. This guy put NONE of that effort in.

He might have tried on T-day and been unsucessful like some of my mates. They'd have bought a VIP ticket if they had the money, are they dab people?

39 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

This guy put NONE of that effort in, he tried to get in by buying tickets that should not have been for sale THAT is why I for one won't worry about him.

As has been pointed out in this thread already, we all spend money on things every day which save us time and provide convenience. Is anybody who hires a cleaner wrong?

41 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

He took a gamble and lost

No he didn't. He didn't enter a raffle he bought something from a company which he had every reason to believe was reputable.

37 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

and people assuming the guy in question is wealthy, "oh he's a director, must be loaded, must earn a bomb !" I'm a company directory, a million miles from being wealthy or earning a bomb. 

I'm also a company director. Not a good enough one to be able to afford VIP festival tickets but if I was I'd be quite annoyed if people looked down on me because of that.

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

He might have tried on T-day and been unsucessful like some of my mates. They'd have bought a VIP ticket if they had the money, are they dab people?

As has been pointed out in this thread already, we all spend money on things every day which save us time and provide convenience. Is anybody who hires a cleaner wrong?

No he didn't. He didn't enter a raffle he bought something from a company which he had every reason to believe was reputable.

If he tried and failed to get regular tickets and then had a second bite of the cherry because he has plenty of money is that fair? Michael Eavis doesn't seem to think so that's why he has gone to such lengths to stop touting.

The company he dealt with are touts, high end touts no doubt but what they are doing is not in keeping with the festival's ethos,  he took a chance by dealing with these people, read their T&Cs, if he had done so he would have seen there are no guarantees with them.

7 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

He did take a gamble whether he knew it or not.

Why keep sweating this? Its a matter between him and the company with recourse to the civil courts if he chooses.

8 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Is a company selling black market tickets reputable?

I doubt they make a point of telling people their sources aren't legit :)

Their website is actually very projessional...

https://www.windinglake.co.uk/home/faqs/

If you know the festival well, especially if you hang around this forum then you know it's a risk because you know there are no "official" VIP tickets and you know that nobody except GFL is allowed to sell tickets, but none of my friends would.

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Looks like we're all company directors here. Me too!

Sentence one. Correct, unless you're buying something linked to unethical behaviour. Then it becomes a grey area. In this case it was a gamble whether you are able to see it or not, as they're not a licenced ticket vendor... He gambled and lost. I nearly did that on a lower scale but instead decided to work for charity. If I had gambled I wouldn't be moaning to the papers about me paying some money and not get a ticket, I'd be calling myself a dickhead. Remember, the bulk of what he paid for was the accomodation. I'm fully aware he wouldn't have bought the accomodation without the ticket, but he did and if the t's and c's state that ticket delivery on the Wednesday was guaranteed and he has written proof then that's fair enough, he'll get his money back. Therefore stop crying about it to the papers. If they don't, he should have asked for and read them, or not dealt with a dodgy business. Do we need to exhibit sympathy for the plain stupid, is what I'm saying? 

Sentence two. Incorrect. The reality is that wealth is parabolic. If your splurge is 250 quid, it becomes less likely that you have another 250 quid to splurge than someone who is prepared and able to splurge 16k. Therefore I have less sympathy for someone who is probably able to console himself on a beach in Mauritius. If he couldn't afford to do that twice, then it makes him more stupid for gambling. So maybe not in the way you were thinking I was thinking, but it is different. Of course it is. Hence the dangers of commenting on a forum. Don't take offence. I think you really should let this lie now.

19 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

If you know the festival well, especially if you hang around this forum then you know it's a risk because you know there are no "official" VIP tickets and you know that nobody except GFL is allowed to sell tickets, but none of my friends would.

But if you go to the tickets page on the Glastonbury website it says it right there.

so either he did try for tickets in the regular and would have seen that. Or he didn’t, relying instead on wealth to get him in.

22 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

He didn't deal with windinglake, he dealt with Hello Front Row. Windinglake do actually have tickets for sale with accommodation as part of their deal with the festival, these tickets are non-transferrable too. If he didn't look into all this before parting with £16k he must be stupid. (or stupidly rich).

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

He didn't deal with windinglake, he dealt with Hello Front Row. Windinglake do actually have tickets for sale with accommodation as part of their deal with the festival, these tickets are non-transferrable too. If he didn't look into all this before parting with £16k he must be stupid. (or stupidly rich).

I thought that too.

In reality without all this arguing. . if someone offers something for a fee and that something doesn't materialise then the person who paid for the service has the use of claiming the money back through the small claims court 

If this chap had paid whatever .. before he did I'd like to think he done due diligence on the company he was buying from... I got my facts wrong earlier as I thought it was a reputable company he purchased from 

If he did pay this amount then I would assume he has a relatively well paid position and he would know to check out the company first.. easiest way is companies house .. IF everything is sound then the next step is submitting a MCOL to recoup his loss, well the is what I'd do anyway 

I never understand why people go to the press for anything ... certainly I'd be looking for my money through the proper channels 

15 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

In reality without all this arguing. . if someone offers something for a fee and that something doesn't materialise then the person who paid for the service has the use of claiming the money back through the small claims court 

If this chap had paid whatever .. before he did I'd like to think he done due diligence on the company he was buying from... I got my facts wrong earlier as I thought it was a reputable company he purchased from 

If he did pay this amount then I would assume he has a relatively well paid position and he would know to check out the company first.. easiest way is companies house .. IF everything is sound then the next step is submitting a MCOL to recoup his loss, well the is what I'd do anyway 

I never understand why people go to the press for anything ... certainly I'd be looking for my money through the proper channels 

I'd assume that he has tried to go through the normal channels and seems to have met with resistance. Going to the press can encourage a more reasonable response. My girlfriend works in production on BBC local radio and has done quite a lot of work with a consumer programme which is predominantly used by older people who are reluctant to go down legal avenues when they feel they have been screwed over and its amazing the change in tone when the threat of negative publicity becomes apparent.