The Red Wine Box (quality & offers)

The Other Steve

On 5/9/2019 at 3:38 PM, The Nal said:

This is an old reliable. Got me through many Glastos. 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297427179

Although Im looking to posh it up this year if I can find some of this malbec. Waitrose do it. 

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/argentina/mendoza/the-beefsteak-club-malbec-mendoza-argentina-2016-13568

I have a memory of tempranillo being light and thin. Granted, I tend to have shiraz or cabernet sauvignon, but what do you reckon as a comparison? Mind you, if I'm not eating, maybe a lighter wine would be better. And if we're talking cheese, surely we need baguettes?

15 hours ago, carlosj said:

I have a memory of tempranillo being light and thin. Granted, I tend to have shiraz or cabernet sauvignon, but what do you reckon as a comparison? Mind you, if I'm not eating, maybe a lighter wine would be better. And if we're talking cheese, surely we need baguettes?

Compared to shiraz/cab sure but tempranillo is medium bodied at a minimum. I remember it being fine. But not 100% happy I suppose if Im looking elsewhere. 

I tend to drink quite a bit of it so cab sauv isnt a runner. 

43 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Compared to shiraz/cab sure but tempranillo is medium bodied at a minimum. I remember it being fine. But not 100% happy I suppose if Im looking elsewhere. 

I tend to drink quite a bit of it so cab sauv isnt a runner. 

Not seen it in any boxes unfortunately but have yet to find a disappointing Carmenere from Chile

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Appreciate this is about red wine, but... It's my wife's 40th while we're Glastonbury so would like to get her some fizz, (champagne is primarily pinot noir, so am still on topic). In 2009 we paid far too to have fizz from one of the wine vans for her 30th. 

Does anyone know of any (decent) fizzy wine sold in non glass I could take? 

On 6/19/2019 at 7:05 AM, Homer said:

I just grabbed 3L of red from Lidl for Shindig recently and it was surprisingly drinkable (even straight out of the bag in the early hours). This one presumably (box didn’t last long - as seems to happen at festivals for some reason):

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Red-Wine-3660.htm?articleId=10047

Agreed this is perfectly drinkable. Just sto ked up on a couple of boxes

• 3 years later...
On 5/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, The Other Steve said:

I forgot I created this thread until just got a notification about it.  So what's the 2023 best wine box deals for that perfect glass of red watching your favourite band?

Looking for a box under £20. Wondering about McGuigan’s black label Shiraz (Sainsbury’s) nowhere near a Waitrose sadly.

I concur with an earlier post, the Sainsbury's house boxes are superb. My current favourite is the Shiraz and IMO pretty tolerant to temperature change.

PXL_20230523_071724157.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 3:20 PM, The Other Steve said:

The red wine box is an essential item for me at each festival and wondered whether there were any recommendations on decent ones to try and any good offers out there?

Not boxes but cans, Waitrose are doing 4 for the price of three on cans of wine and pre mixes. The Beefsteak Malbec is a real winner, works out at just under £7.50 per litre, it usually costs £8 a bottle of 75 cl.