2020 headliners

jj200

8 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I think if Fleetwood aren't playing, Emily should squash the rumours (no pun intended) and nip it in the bud ASAP - every person I know going will be devastated if they aren't playing, so better to get that out of the way.

Are they even the prevailing rumour though? On the radio yesterday they were all quite confidently stating Paul McCartney as if it was a done deal, and we were out with pals who've never been and they seemed sure he'd already been announced for the Saturday night.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Was she though? Is there any rumour of her being at the festival that can't be traced back to Gonzo of this parish and his late night cider bus nonsense?

Why I oughta......!

Only other evidence is that she seemed to be with Stella McCartney that weekend and she was definitely there on the Sunday, cos she designed Billie Eilish'd costume and watched the gig from the barrier 

For reference, other slebs I've seen at the G include Tilda Swinton and Martin Clunes.

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Are they even the prevailing rumour though? On the radio yesterday they were all quite confidently stating Paul McCartney as if it was a done deal, and we were out with pals who've never been and they seemed sure he'd already been announced for the Saturday night.

Two were pre booked and Macca wasn’t one of them since he was meant to play 2019. 

I doubt they’ll have three massive headliners. 

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah with literally anybody I've spoken to about it that's not on this forum (i.e. average Glastonbury punters, as opposed to diehards on a forum, and there's much more of the former).

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, but my take is that once the tour is over they’ll be done for a while. They tend to come out every few years for a mega tour then go back into hibernation.

that mega tour sometimes has big gaps though, as well as one-offs.

this 2018/2019 tour had a break from the middle of December until February.

In 2017 they played 2 gigs in July in the US and nothing else for the year.

In 2016 they played a one-off gig in July.

2015 they played up until July, then took a break until October.

2013 they played until early July, took a couple months off until mid-Sept, then toured for another 6 weeks until end of October when they wrapped up the tour. They then played 3 gigs in Vegas around New Years and then went back into hibernation until Sept and another tour.

If they're capable of taking a couple of months off in the middle of a tour (when most bands would just tour all that time and finish earlier), or playing for only 6 weeks at a time, or playing a couple of gigs without being on tour, then I  definitely wouldn't rule out Glastonbury, perhaps with a small string of dates next summer too.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Why I oughta......!

Only other evidence is that she seemed to be with Stella McCartney that weekend and she was definitely there on the Sunday, cos she designed Billie Eilish'd costume and watched the gig from the barrier 

For reference, other slebs I've seen at the G include Tilda Swinton and Martin Clunes.

Clunes (with a guest appearance from Neil Morrissey) for 2020? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

A bit out of the loop here. I've only just braved coming back to these forums now I actually have tickets for 2020.

So what we saying

Friday - 1975

Saturday - Macca

Sunday - Taylor Swift

Macca is very unlikely. (Fleetwood Mac and lton John seem like frontrunners at the moment).

1975 on Friday is very possible.

Swift on Sunday is highly likely.

3 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Saturday - Macca

I think Neil said Nick categorically ixnayed Macca to his face so we're unsure on who the third one might be if Taylor and 75 are the other two. Fleetwood Mac seem to be going dormant, maybe it's Elton, maybe Springsteen feels like another crack of the bat, maybe it's somebody we've not discussed.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Mick Fleetwood has never struck me as being particularly flexible.

I dunno.  I watched a documentary on BBC4 a few weeks back and he seems to sit in with pub bands in Hawaii in the reg.  And of course there were rumours of him playing the Acoustic a few years back with his solo band.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno.  I watched a documentary on BBC4 a few weeks back and he seems to sit in with pub bands in Hawaii in the reg.  And of course there were rumours of him playing the Acoustic a few years back with his solo band.

I watched him play the bongos for what felt like forever this summer. He still insists on getting his own way sometimes.

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, but my take is that once the tour is over they’ll be done for a while. They tend to come out every few years for a mega tour then go back into hibernation.

Christine McVie turns 77 next year - there can't be too many more mega tours remaining tbh.

They'll play, mark my words.

2 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Also aiming to call it a day, will Glastonbury be his swansong?

No dates at all between April and September. Surely his crew will be working elsewhere. Would take a run of dates to work alongside Glastonbury to get the machine to work. Not impossible but complicated

Wonder if Fleetwood Mac were originally lined up back in the Spring, which prompted the "definitely not Macca" line, but they've since dropped out/changed their touring plans for 2020 and Macca is being lined up to replace? I took Macca's radio 2 comments to mean "we're not touring next year, but we've been asked to do Glastonbury and we're thinking if it would be possible to do Glastonbury as a one off show". 

Almost definitely reading too much in to it, but there y'go. That's what this thread is about init.

Edited by jparx