kalifire

Brexit at Glasto?

10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Indeed. Would guess Scottish Indy must be up to 50/50 by now.

but love for the major austerity it will cause is still the same 0% / 100%. :P 

Edited by eFestivals

Indeed. Would guess Scottish Indy must be up to 50/50 by now.

If the vote ever comes again the silent majority who care about the economy of Scotland will outvote the flag waving loudmouths , hopefully. Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake   

There is a view that the SNP are keen on immigration and remaining in the eu rather than stirring up division and xenophobia with our neighbors.

Funnily enough Brexit Britian is just as keen on immigration as Scotland.

Most people seem to have missed it (and I've just failed to find it), but there's a recentish explicit comment to camera by Rees-Mogg that immigration levels are remaining the same but with more immigration from India and Africa.

And the whole of the SNP's campaign is about stirring up division and xenophobia with Scotland's neighbour. Just because you agree with what they're doing doesn't make it not that.
(the farage-ists reckon it's not them doing the stirring, too ;) )

You’ll be aware of how the eu ref vote went in Scotland. 

nationalism is nationalism is nationalism. There is only one type of nationalism, which is only about false exceptionalism.

I do agree that Brexit will aid the Indy cause. 

my take is that's as wrong as it gets. 

Brexit shows Scotland what getting to indy would be like, and how there'd be big and painful consequences from breaking existing ties.

I reckon Indy's best chance is when the UK is within the EU - because the painful consequences will be much lower.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake  

Sturgeon reckons that all regions of the country should have to say yes before a referendum is valid.

Oh, hang on, that's only with referendums where she's not keen on the outcome.

:P 

Edited by eFestivals

To be fair, when Brexit was announced at Glastonbury a few years ago, even though I thought it was a joke for a while (mate who told me had taken loads of acid), it did make the day more interesting, entertaining and funny. Everyone was giving it large about how they don't agree, and taking more drugs to forget about it. I found some pretty cool chaps from Berkshire who had all voted out and they were chuffed, giving me free booze and coke for a while. In fact, they pretty much talked me round about the whole business. No one will ever forget where they were when it was announced right? Where better to be than at Glastonbury.