Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

Nice results all round in the latest Delta Poll (which I will chose to take as gospel as I want it to be true!):

Interestingly, it's looking like remainers are now pretty much not evening bothering with the charade of a second referendum and are flocking to just a straight up revoke (which is kind of what I'm doing):

The worrying one is:

38% still want a no deal Brexit! That 38% will be immune to any arguments in a second referendum as they've already heard all the scare stories. It's a really worryingly high amount and the main problem is how it night impact party voting in a general election. it's why I think an ERG led Tory party would do better than one that's more centrist.

Also interesting is that a large chunk of Tory MP's and ministers are threatening to quit if May supports a permanent customs union, while another chunk would quit if she adopts no deal brexit and another chunk are threatening to block a general election. Struggling to see a way out of this for May, no wonder she's fixated on bringing her deal back again!

Edited by Mr.Tease

Theresa May was in Henley this Saturday (presumably just shopping with husband Philip) and I spotted her from the other side of the street and shouted "We still want a People's Vote".  She turned and looked at me (she looked like death warmed up) but said nothing.

• Upvote 1

It’s kind of astonishing that labour are only around 40% considering the absolutely disasterous handling of brexit by the current government. If the opposition had a real leader with a bit of backbone who had the stones to call out brexit for the moronic idea that it is the public would never have voted for it in the first place. He and his party are partly complicit in this mess. He says he believes in people power yet he refuses to represent the interests of the vast majority of labour members and voters who despise brexit. It’s pretty obvious a lot of them are unhappy. You could hear shouts of “where’s Jeremy Corbyn” at the march last week, a legitimate question considering he was presumably too afraid to show his face. I wonder if a general election begins to look like a certainty will they try and get rid of him? I think they should. He’s out of his depth as leader.

44 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

It’s kind of astonishing that labour are only around 40% considering the absolutely disasterous handling of brexit by the current government. If the opposition had a real leader with a bit of backbone who had the stones to call out brexit for the moronic idea that it is the public would never have voted for it in the first place. He and his party are partly complicit in this mess. He says he believes in people power yet he refuses to represent the interests of the vast majority of labour members and voters who despise brexit. It’s pretty obvious a lot of them are unhappy. You could hear shouts of “where’s Jeremy Corbyn” at the march last week, a legitimate question considering he was presumably too afraid to show his face. I wonder if a general election begins to look like a certainty will they try and get rid of him? I think they should. He’s out of his depth as leader.

He's following party policy, decided by members at conference. The vast majority of labour members do not want to change leadership. 

Labour are at 40% because there's a large percentage of people who support brexit (40-45% at least) and the tory party are seen as the party of brexit

Whoever was leader in 2016, they still would have been playing second fiddle to The official remain campaign (Cameron Osborne). The idea that if Burnham or Cooper were leader in 2016 we'd have voted remain, seems ridiculous to me personally 

Edited by Scott129
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

He's following party policy, decided by members at conference.

that's rather disingenuous bollocks.

The policy wasn't the preferred policy of those members, and was accepted reluctantly by those members at the insistence of the leadership and vote-away-your-car-jobs-and-then-protest-at-the-loss-of-car-jobs Len. 

31 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Lab have gotten fuck all capital from supporting this hairbrained racist policy.

The majority of the seats labour need to win an election are leave seats. LIke it or not, Labour has had to come up with a compromise. i really don't see how just calling for a second referendum the day after the first one, would have done labour any favours.

But whether we support their policy or not, I just profoundly disagree that somehow Corbyn could have stopped brexit when the numbers aren't there. At this stage its either accept a soft brexit or hard brexit/no deal imo

That is because Corbyn is not a leader. A leader would have a vision for the future and inspire the electorate to buy into it. Much as I like most of his policies he will not persuade people to buy into them. 

And taking him at face value they are not his policies but conferences. We need a leader who can be charismatic and persuasive. 

If he can’t sell his vision when he is up against this shower of shit he never will. 

Same with the referendum. He should have campaigned for what he wanted and let someone who was enthusiastic about Europe be the remain campaigner for the party

32 minutes ago, tarw said:

That is because Corbyn is not a leader. A leader would have a vision for the future and inspire the electorate to buy into it. Much as I like most of his policies he will not persuade people to buy into them. 

And taking him at face value they are not his policies but conferences. We need a leader who can be charismatic and persuasive. 

If he can’t sell his vision when he is up against this shower of shit he never will. 

Same with the referendum. He should have campaigned for what he wanted and let someone who was enthusiastic about Europe be the remain campaigner for the party

Did a good job of selling the vision at the last election, every chance he can get it over the line in another

3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

You realise that Tony Blair got 43% in the 1997 election, don’t you?

You’re basically saying ”if labour had a leader who promoted my views, they would be at 70% in the polls!” 

Look at the meltdown of centrist parties in Europe and around the world, I’m not convicted you’re correct

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

The majority of the seats labour need to win an election are leave seats. LIke it or not, Labour has had to come up with a compromise. i really don't see how just calling for a second referendum the day after the first one, would have done labour any favours.

But whether we support their policy or not, I just profoundly disagree that somehow Corbyn could have stopped brexit when the numbers aren't there. At this stage its either accept a soft brexit or hard brexit/no deal imo

The people that voted to leave in those seats were new voters and never labour voters. Corbyn has miscalculated.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

The people that voted to leave in those seats were new voters and never labour voters. Corbyn has miscalculated.

That’s not what the analysis shows. I’d love for there to be a simple way out of this without alienating a large chunk of the vote, but there isn’t. best stick with the current strategy, and let the Tories mess up and see if you can get either Norway or a second referendum at the last minute when people are ready to compromise/give up.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

That’s not what the analysis shows. I’d love for there to be a simple way out of this without alienating a large chunk of the vote, but there isn’t. best stick with the current strategy, and let the Tories mess up and see if you can get either Norway or a second referendum at the last minute when people are ready to compromise/give up.

Meh. We all know the people that voted to leave aren’t worth defending on this issue. Corbyn fucked it up.

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Meh. We all know the people that voted to leave aren’t worth defending on this issue. Corbyn fucked it up.

Piss off the leave voters too much and you’ll pay for it in the next election (they’ll flock to a Boris lead Tory party), allow the Tories to be the ones ‘betraying ‘ them, and you have a shot at consigning them to oblivion.