Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why do you want to be Prime Minister Dave? "Because I think I'd be good at it"

May is mightily shit, but she was handed the shittiest stick any PM has had to hold and I don't think there's been any PM that could swing it.

May is a problem but the brexit problem is not May, it's brexit.

Her main mistake was calling an election- it made a shit, impossible situation/policy even more impossible- she was the author of her own demise.

I was thinking about her legacy- what exactly can she say she did? She hasn't done/achieved anything, and the one thing she decided would be her salvation (brexit) might not even happen.

Mind you, can't really think of anything Cameron could say he did, though I'm not sure if that's just my memory.

The worrying thing with May, is I thought she might pivot to revoking or something now she's due to step down, but I read today she's told the Tories she would rather no deal than revoke. She's got nothing to lose, so it's a big concern if she decided that's how she wants to go down.

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Her main mistake was calling an election- it made a shit, impossible situation/policy even more impossible- she was the author of her own demise.

I'm not sure that really made much of a difference. She called that election precisely because she knew she couldn't carry all of the tory MPs for one version of brexit, so was hoping for a bigger majority so the headbangers were sidelined.

She'd be nearer getting her deal thru but probably still wouldn't get it thru.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I was thinking about her legacy- what exactly can she say she did? She hasn't done/achieved anything, and the one thing she decided would be her salvation (brexit) might not even happen.

this is why I think she won't no-deal. If she does something sensible instead then she ends up in history as the PM who pulled us back from the brink, and not as the PM who threw us over the edge.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I read today she's told the Tories she would rather no deal than revoke.

I wouldn't read too much into what she's saying now. It's all being said to keep people on-side &/or pressure the ones who haven't been voting for her deal.

And of course between those two is a long extension, and she's been an expert so far at kicking the can down the road.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure that really made much of a difference. She called that election precisely because she knew she couldn't carry all of the tory MPs for one version of brexit, so was hoping for a bigger majority so the headbangers were sidelined.

She'd be nearer getting her deal thru but probably still wouldn't get it thru.

this is why I think she won't no-deal. If she does something sensible instead then she ends up in history as the PM who pulled us back from the brink, and not as the PM who threw us over the edge.

I wouldn't read too much into what she's saying now. It's all being said to keep people on-side &/or pressure the ones who haven't been voting for her deal.

And of course between those two is a long extension, and she's been an expert so far at kicking the can down the road.

Maybe she'll try and get the Tory right onside for a long extension (which they are against) by saying it's so they can prepare for no deal, then once they've agreed to it turn around and mess them over one more time. I'm really not sure anymore!

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

What bullshite is this?

Do some reading.

Every argument, by leavers or hard brexiteers or soft brexiteers or remainers is couched in "getting the best deal for the UK". No-one is talking about getting a fair deal for the UK, that's also fair for the rest of the EU, because they're just countries full of people just like us, and deserve to be treated no better or worse than we are. 

Not even remain campaigners are pointing out that remaining is also great for the EU and helps them too, because that line of argument is toxic.

And that's how you can tell the referendum result was accepted. Because everything is us and them. As if it matters where the hell someone is born.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No-one is talking about getting a fair deal for the UK, that's also fair for the rest of the EU

whoa! Hang on, that's precisely what remain is. The EU is mutually agreed.

The 'remain and reform' line is ... erm ... slightly arrogant, but then again it's not wrong to have your own ideas about the best way forwards.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

May is making a statement soon (she's holding the cabinet prisoner until she speaks- they're not allowed to leave or have their phones until after she's spoken). I wonder what key phrases she will use....?

i think the odds on phrases will be a lot shorter than the odds on the headliners :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

May is making a statement soon (she's holding the cabinet prisoner until she speaks- they're not allowed to leave or have their phones until after she's spoken). I wonder what key phrases she will use....?

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

If I had confiscated the phones off the teenagers in my class their parents would be on to the school demanding I be sacked! 

23 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Will the EU even allow it? Seems like she's trying to shift the blame for no-deal on to Labour.

Who knows? 

Can't see Corbyn falling for it tho, as he'd be agreeing to no-deal at the end of their talks if they don't have agreement, because there won't have been EU elections.

We'll soon have blatant confirmation if this is a ruse or not- basically if the right wing cabinet brexiteers don't quit, then it's clearly a con. if it's a genuine shift, then how could they possibly accept May essentially handing over the negotiating and decision making to Labour?

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Who knows? 

Can't see Corbyn falling for it tho, as he'd be agreeing to no-deal at the end of their talks if they don't have agreement, because there won't have been EU elections.

Not entirely sure what she's proposing- talks with Corbyn, when they fail, putting it to parliament on a series of options? The key is in the detail regarding no-deal, doubt labour will agree to the talks without assurances with regards to that. Interestingly she said she'd ask for a delay along as was necessary.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

whoa! Hang on, that's precisely what remain is. The EU is mutually agreed.

The 'remain and reform' line is ... erm ... slightly arrogant, but then again it's not wrong to have your own ideas about the best way forwards.

It’s what it is but very much not how it’s being sold. 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

there is a severe skills shortage in curry houses all over the country, which will only get worse because they don't pay enough to meet the entry requirements.

Whoa! Shit just got real.

If my curry supply is threatened in any way I'm going straight to Oxford Street to smash the place up.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:44 AM, kalifire said:

If the government extend Brexit day by three months, as they've implied they'd seek to do if parliament votes for an extension, that would schedule the new day the UK exits the EU for Glastonbury Friday.

In some ways, the farm would be a lovely place just to get away from all that. In another sense, it would be the perfect place to see some real time debate and discussion in Left Field.

Would this scenario impact your festival much?

Be the same as 2016 all over again I awoke to people crying very loud!

Jeremy corbyn was supposed to be doing his bit in 16 but apparently more important things cropped up!