The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

Has anybody heard anything from Shelter yet?

Having worked with them three previous times ('11, '14 & '16) I had expected to hear from them by now. As a previous volunteer I'm pretty sure I've usually had a priority registration date via email by the end of February.

Also re-registered with them (just in case), so if anyone has heard anything either way could you please reply.

I'm getting a bit edgy here. Will probably email them if I haven't heard by the end of the week.

@marathonstevethanks for the replys. I have been invited back every festival since I first did it in 2011, so they didn't appear to mind that I would rather go with a ticket when I can. I got my deposit back last time so am pretty sure I didn't muck up my reputation somehow (though I did have a knackered wrist so some of the heavy lifting was beyond me last time).

Your second reply is a bit ambiguous: Do you mean you didn't get an application this time from Recycling or from Shelter (or both). Shelter just usually email me a priority date and a link to apply through their website.

Do you have an email for recycling or is it too late for them?

I may email Shelter tomorrow, though they did reply to a tweet on 27th Feb that "events team will be in touch from the end of February to people who have registered" so I don't want to appear too pushy.

Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker, newbie poster. 

I got an Oxfam shift yesterday (yay!). Now I wasn't fully aware of the training requirement (dumb I know) and wanted to know if anyone had any experience of not being able to make this? I live in Singapore and will be arriving in the home in the UK the Sunday before the festival.

9 minutes ago, Led festivals said:

Hey everyone,

I got an Oxfam shift yesterday (yay!). Now I wasn't fully aware of the training requirement (dumb I know) and wanted to know if anyone had any experience of not being able to make this? I live in Singapore and will be arriving in the home in the UK the Sunday before the festival.

Should be an option to book onto an online course? 

2 hours ago, Led festivals said:

Hey everyone,

As others have said, there should be an online training option that works for you. 

Also, for other festivals, they sometimes do on site training just before the festival starts so this may be an option.  I've been to one of these for Bestival on Isle of Wight where they done the training course close to the festival site the day before the festival began.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:30 PM, MrZigster said:

Has anybody heard anything from Shelter yet?

Having worked with them three previous times ('11, '14 & '16) I had expected to hear from them by now. As a previous volunteer I'm pretty sure I've usually had a priority registration date via email by the end of February.

Also re-registered with them (just in case), so if anyone has heard anything either way could you please reply.

I'm getting a bit edgy here. Will probably email them if I haven't heard by the end of the week.

I see the wait list is up so it should be soon

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury/waiting_list

any problems then send me a PM and I will ' have a word direct with Avalon '

of course he may tell me to fuck off but seeing we have been friends 30 Years I doubt it.

I suspect the delay was over the WBC Contract which I know was only signed on Monday - it was a close run thing and I am sure Avalon has been holding back as that would have more than doubled their bars and would have had a huge impact on the number of Volunteers. 

it will all come out in the wash Mark

16 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I see the wait list is up so it should be soon

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury/waiting_list

any problems then send me a PM and I will ' have a word direct with Avalon '

of course he may tell me to fuck off but seeing we have been friends 30 Years I doubt it.

I suspect the delay was over the WBC Contract which I know was only signed on Monday - it was a close run thing and I am sure Avalon has been holding back as that would have more than doubled their bars and would have had a huge impact on the number of Volunteers.

it will all come out in the wash Mark

Well. That's a bit distressing (to say the least)!

"Sorry. All places for volunteering at this years Glastonbury have now been filled".

I haven't heard a dickie bird from them, despite having re-registered well within the time limit and then emailing them on Tuesday asking if I had somehow missed the boat.

I checked their Twitter feed earlier this evening and came away with the feeling that things were still in the pipeline regarding everyone, but having seen that page I'm not so sure now.

I hope you're correct about things coming out in the wash Brian.

Has anybody else heard (or not) anything regarding places with Shelter?

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Well. That's a bit distressing (to say the least)!

"Sorry. All places for volunteering at this years Glastonbury have now been filled".

I haven't heard a dickie bird from them, despite having re-registered well within the time limit and then emailing them on Tuesday asking if I had somehow missed the boat.

I checked their Twitter feed earlier this evening and came away with the feeling that things were still in the pipeline regarding everyone, but having seen that page I'm not so sure now.

I hope you're correct about things coming out in the wash Brian.

Has anybody else heard (or not) anything regarding places with Shelter?

it is possible its a old page { they dont have any date on it } 

Have Faith - if places had been handed out ' this area would be full of posts '

just hang in there.

7 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

it is possible its a old page { they dont have any date on it }

Have Faith - if places had been handed out ' this area would be full of posts '

just hang in there.

Yes. Quite. I am still fairly (vaguely?) optimistic in a No News Is Good News type of way.

Doesn't help that the first line-up poster came out today.

Did I mention feeling edgy?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone arriving on the Monday 24th who will be driving to the site has a spare seat? I'll be coming from Worcester, but I'd even appreciate a ride from the train station if you're not coming from my direction! Will give a lil bit for petrol/chuck you a few beers! Cheers :)

24 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Strange that you haven't heard yet

Has anyone? As far as I can ascertain, not yet.

But you're right. It is strange. As I've said on another thread they have always been red hot at replying to emails in the past.

26 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

But you're right. It is strange. As I've said on another thread they have always been red hot at replying to emails in the past.

This may not help but it says on here you need to cancel by 29th March 2019 if you can't make your place. 9 days isn't a big window to do so if they haven't even issued invites to date.....

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury/volunteer_guidelines

29 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I pinged them an email to see if there was any updates since registering and got a generic response email and no follow up. That was a week ago or so.