The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

27 minutes ago, incident said:

Then when you arrive at the Oxfam campsite on Monday/Tuesday you register, get given all the other stuff you need, and get wristbanded. At that point you're free to explore the festival site.

Hi all

Do you know if Oxfam volunteers can arrive to site on either Monday or Tuesday or do you have to be allocated early shifts to arrive on Monday?

My friend is working with FMS and travelling from the South East on Monday morning so it would be really good to travel together.

I wasn't sure if it is necessary to email Oxfam and see if this is possible or if it's fine to just turn up on Monday.

31 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

Hi all

Do you know if Oxfam volunteers can arrive to site on either Monday or Tuesday or do you have to be allocated early shifts to arrive on Monday?

My friend is working with FMS and travelling from the South East on Monday morning so it would be really good to travel together.

I wasn't sure if it is necessary to email Oxfam and see if this is possible or if it's fine to just turn up on Monday.

Both Monday and Tuesday are official arrival days for the regular shift - when you filled out your profile (assuming you've done that), you would have selected either Monday or Tuesday arrival - if you need to change this, probably best to E-Mail them.

They do strongly prefer you arrive on whichever day you selected as especially if you arrive a day early, they would need to break open the storage boxes with all the stuff for the Tuesday people in order to get you accredited which might take a while and leave you in limbo for a bit.

If you're allocated Early Shifts, the arrival day is Saturday with all shifts finished before the festival opens.

20 minutes ago, incident said:

Both Monday and Tuesday are official arrival days for the regular shift - when you filled out your profile (assuming you've done that), you would have selected either Monday or Tuesday arrival - if you need to change this, probably best to E-Mail them. 

Don't remember an option to put my arrival day in when I did my profile? 

7 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Fair enough - I'm basing that on how it's worked in previous years as I've got a ticket this time. Hopefully someone with more up to date knowledge can provide a better answer.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Fair enough - I'm basing that on how it's worked in previous years as I've got a ticket this time. Hopefully someone with more up to date knowledge can provide a better answer.

Phew, was worried I'd missed something then! 

31 minutes ago, incident said:

They do strongly prefer you arrive on whichever day you selected as especially if you arrive a day early, they would need to break open the storage boxes with all the stuff for the Tuesday people in order to get you accredited which might take a while and leave you in limbo for a bit.

If you're allocated Early Shifts, the arrival day is Saturday with all shifts finished before the festival opens.

10 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Thank you both for your replies.

I also don't remember anything about arrival day and I've just checked my profile and can't see anything about it there now.

48 minutes ago, hurdy said:

37 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

Thank you both for your replies.

I also don't remember anything about arrival day and I've just checked my profile and can't see anything about it there now.

There is a tick box on the application that asks if you are available for an early shift. I was lucky at Boardmasters to get 2 of my shifts out of the way before the festival started! :)

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 16.28.45.png

Edited by StoneCircle

2 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

There is a tick box on the application that asks if you are available for an early shift. I was lucky at Boardmasters to get 2 of my shifts out of the way before the festival started! :)

Sure, I understand that. 

I wanted to confirm that you can still arrive on Monday even with the regular shifts.

I'll ask on the Oxfam FB group.

Cheers.

35 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

46 minutes ago, hurdy said:

If it's like previous years, this information will be requested in a few weeks.  However, this is the first Glastonbury since the new application and info system was installed last year, so who knows.

Early shift at Glastonbury is different from the other festivals they do.  Early shift at other festivals tends to be arriving a day early i.e. when they have a limited early opening of the show (like at Boomtown last year) or to support getting the main shift on site and registered.  At Glastonbury, the early shift is arrive on Saturday, work Sun, Mon, Tues, then free for the whole show.  I've done it in the past, and it is amazing, but you are on site for a long time.

For regular shifts, you should be able to arrive on Monday or Tuesday, your choice.

19 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

If it's like previous years, this information will be requested in a few weeks.  However, this is the first Glastonbury since the new application and info system was installed last year, so who knows.

Early shift at Glastonbury is different from the other festivals they do.  Early shift at other festivals tends to be arriving a day early i.e. when they have a limited early opening of the show (like at Boomtown last year) or to support getting the main shift on site and registered.  At Glastonbury, the early shift is arrive on Saturday, work Sun, Mon, Tues, then free for the whole show.  I've done it in the past, and it is amazing, but you are on site for a long time.

For regular shifts, you should be able to arrive on Monday or Tuesday, your choice.

Thank you! :-)

WBC Coach times for Tuesday 25th June - 

Birmingham 3pm 
Bristol 12 noon 
Bristol 5pm 
Cardiff 3pm 
Leeds 2pm 
Clowne 3pm 
Liverpool 2pm 
Manchester 2pm 
Glasgow 9am 
London 12 noon 
London 3pm 
London 5pm 
Not Applicable

if you know you have a place ' this year they are sending a e-mail to everyone on their list ' and you should contact your organiser if you have not received it

other years ' they would ask organiser's to make a Group booking '

its new people working in the staff office so don't panic if you have not received a e-mail.

Not 100% sure on this, but I've been under the impression that most of the CTM roles are for paid staff rather than volunteers and as they are essentially responsible for all vehicle related stuff outside the site, some of the roles can be quite far away from the festival (including at B&W showgrounds or controlling access roads) - so there's a good chance you end up with 5x12 hour shifts instead of 3x8 hours. Check carefully what you're signing up for - they may have some volunteer roles as well on more friendly terms.

54 minutes ago, incident said:

Not 100% sure on this, but I've been under the impression that most of the CTM roles are for paid staff rather than volunteers and as they are essentially responsible for all vehicle related stuff outside the site, some of the roles can be quite far away from the festival (including at B&W showgrounds or controlling access roads) - so there's a good chance you end up with 5x12 hour shifts instead of 3x8 hours. Check carefully what you're signing up for - they may have some volunteer roles as well on more friendly terms.

Ah right, thanks! Will read everything!!!! 

So if I have paid my glasto deposit for oxfam stewarding and have green tickets in all my application including reference and a training session booked, am I guarenteed a place with them? Just I’ve had no confirmation email from them.

Just want to be doubly sure before I cancel my general sale ticket with with seetickets before fri (I know, I know ?)

2 minutes ago, Splodge said:

So if I have paid my glasto deposit for oxfam stewarding and have green tickets in all my application including reference and a training session booked, am I guarenteed a place with them? Just I’ve had no confirmation email from them.

Just want to be doubly sure before I cancel my general sale ticket with with seetickets before fri (I know, I know ?)

Yes, you are.

Essentially - your place is confirmed by virtue of paying the deposit when you first apply - at that point, there's only a handful of things that could cause your place to get pulled -

- Not providing the necessary information (ie not filling out the profile)
- The reference not coming back or coming back bad (which you've got past)
- Not getting trained in time for the festival.
- If something causes the Festival to pull the contract with Oxfam (which isn't happening with Glastonbury)

So as long as you attend training, there's no obstacles.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yes, you are.

Essentially - your place is confirmed by virtue of paying the deposit when you first apply - at that point, there's only a handful of things that could cause your place to get pulled -

- Not providing the necessary information (ie not filling out the profile)
- The reference not coming back or coming back bad (which you've got past)
- Not getting trained in time for the festival.
- If something causes the Festival to pull the contract with Oxfam (which isn't happening with Glastonbury)

So as long as you attend training, there's no obstacles.

Fab - thanks. That’s just what I wanted to hear.

It’s kinda weird to be cancelling a ticket, but volunteering allows me to be there with my mates rather than going solo.

The more I look into it the more I’m seeing the benefits of volunteering, seems to be an amazing way of doing the festival. Can’t wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splodge said:

The more I look into it the more I’m seeing the benefits of volunteering, seems to be an amazing way of doing the festival. Can’t wait.

Me too! Some of my mates got coach tickets in October and then the rest of us missed out on the general sale so I signed up for Oxfam. As it turns out, most of the rest of them got sorted in the resale but I’m more than happy to be volunteering. 

After years of going as punter I’m looking forward to seeing it from another aspect plus being on the farm for a week with my best mate who’s working with FMS, crew parties and exploring all areas will more than make it worth while. 

And it’s supporting one of my favourite charities.

Bring it on! 

I'm volunteering with Oxfam this year. Fourth Glasto for me but first time volunteering, and going solo. Looking forward to experiencing it from a different angle. Heading down on the Monday and catching the Oxfam shuttle from Bristol. So excited to see the site while it's relatively empty!