The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

On 3/23/2019 at 10:25 AM, glasto-worker said:

Please note ' I have no connection to this Company ' but I am sure that some will be interested - please fully read the terms and conditions ' before applying '

https://ctmstaff.uk.com/

8352_o.thumb.jpg.14bea5323c9acc65b69a2615595f0e9f.jpg

I remember a few years back they never asked for a deposit, but the downside was that they camped outside of the festival and they did not issue wristbands until the Friday. Mind you most people would have finished their allotted hours by then as most of the work is Tues to Friday,

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

So do we know of anyone who has gotten confirmation emails from wateraid? besides the guy who says he got offered a toilet job?? 

Couple of friends are waiting to hear.... they seem to think when registering that they would be told even if they were unsuccessful 

On 3/28/2019 at 1:24 PM, LadyP said:

Got my shelter place this morning, well chuffed!! I worked for DC in 2016 which was fine, but I’m delighted to have got a bar spot this year, really looking forward to it. I’ve said so many times after previous festivals that I really wish I’d spent more time in Avalon, looks like this year I will! 

Just for the avoidance of confusion - the company you work for to raise money for Shelter is called Avalon, but they run bars all over the site.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, Havors said:

So do we know of anyone who has gotten confirmation emails from wateraid? besides the guy who says he got offered a toilet job?? 

Couple of friends are waiting to hear.... they seem to think when registering that they would be told even if they were unsuccessful 

I had until Monday to turn it down so I guess they are waiting until then to offer the places out for people who’ve turned it down/ not responded to those who are still waiting. Then once they have filled the positions they will let everyone know if you’ve been unsuccessful.

I turned it down today. I’m not being a snob, I spent two years as a chalet host and have cleaned my fair share of pebbledashed and pube covered toilets. I just can’t justify losing such a large chunk of 4 days of a 5 day festival, especially considering walking times, and heading back to camp for post shift showers (definitely required). 

Dont think there will be much call for shifts on the Wednesday, so will be thurs-Sunday as well.

Fingers crossed for the resale for me now.

Hello all, I am volunteering at Glastonbury on the recycling crew for the first time and looking forward to it, the email was sent at uni and I quickly put my name down and got a last minute place last week. So excited, does anyone know how far you stay from the festival? All the best to everyone going maybe see you there haha X

April-marie 

Xxxxxxxxxx

33 minutes ago, April marie said:

Hello all, I am volunteering at Glastonbury on the recycling crew for the first time and looking forward to it, the email was sent at uni and I quickly put my name down and got a last minute place last week. So excited, does anyone know how far you stay from the festival? All the best to everyone going maybe see you there haha X

April-marie 

Xxxxxxxxxx

Have they sent out your shifts then April Marie ?

3 minutes ago, April marie said:

No not yet Steve, I have a meeting at the uni on the 24th, we have been told am shifts, have you done it before? 

X do you know where we camp to? 

t1573173359_glastomap.thumb.jpg.6e2571d15b62652fd523db36b9acb29a.jpg

Tom's field usually next to the farm and the first aid field. Access to crew showers and the food tent etc. 

I'm volunteering with Oxfam this year and wanted to ask a few cheeky questions.

Can you get into areas or use shortcuts around the site that the general public cant if you flash your volunteer band?  I'm sure I heard someone mention that they could skip the queues in the SE corner by doing this.

Also can you get into the non-public crews bars if you are a volunteer?

25 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Can you get into areas or use shortcuts around the site that the general public cant if you flash your volunteer band?  I'm sure I heard someone mention that they could skip the queues in the SE corner by doing this.

The answer boils down to "it varies".

There are paths/shortcuts that you can use with a staff wristband (especially near staff camping areas), but there's plenty you can't (most notably, you can't officially go into the interstage area). Don't know about SE corner.

Likewise with bars, some will accept all or most crew, some won't, and many will change the rules as suits them at that moment. It's worth using the Tuesday to do some recon and collect try and collect wristbands for each of the bars to protect yourself against a policy change.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

The answer boils down to "it varies".

There are paths/shortcuts that you can use with a staff wristband (especially near staff camping areas), but there's plenty you can't (most notably, you can't officially go into the interstage area). Don't know about SE corner.

Likewise with bars, some will accept all or most crew, some won't, and many will change the rules as suits them at that moment. It's worth using the Tuesday to do some recon and collect try and collect wristbands for each of the bars to protect yourself against a policy change.

Collect wristbands??

3 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Collect wristbands??

Before gates open to the public, there tends to be less of an issue getting access to bars as it's rightly assumed that nearly everyone on site is crew so minimal checking is done. At this point, some of the bars will issue their own wristbands (definitely Block 9 do, can't remember which others), and if you can grab one of those it'll ensure you can still get access once the gates are open and the security gets tighter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, incident said:

Before gates open to the public, there tends to be less of an issue getting access to bars as it's rightly assumed that nearly everyone on site is crew so minimal checking is done. At this point, some of the bars will issue their own wristbands (definitely Block 9 do, can't remember which others), and if you can grab one of those it'll ensure you can still get access once the gates are open and the security gets tighter.

Fantastic tip thanks - love this forum!

On 3/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, Havors said:

We got confirmations about 10 days ago but I suspect we were some of the first (this is my 11th year volunteering for WaterAid). As I understand it everyone should be notified by the end of this week. I do know that whilst there were a lot more places this year due to the expansion of water points there were many more applications so not everyone is going to make it.

13 hours ago, Led festivals said:

Are Oxfam stewards also denizens of Tom's field, or do they have another haunt?

We are in a different field, about 10 minutes walk off site from PGB

4 hours ago, ohmygod said:

As others have said, it depends.  There isn't actually a volunteer band as such - we get Easy Pass Outs, because we're staying outside the fence, which are mainly (with a couple of exceptions) only issued to crew and volunteers.

You won't get away with skipping the queue to the SE corner, as a rule, unless your blag is strong.  They have good reasons to keep the foot traffic management strict in that area.

30 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

As others have said, it depends.  There isn't actually a volunteer band as such - we get Easy Pass Outs, because we're staying outside the fence, which are mainly (with a couple of exceptions) only issued to crew and volunteers.

I’m working with Shelter this year and camping outside of the main fence.

can you explain to me what an easy pass out is and how it differs to the normal ones?

Tbanks ?

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I’m working with Shelter this year and camping outside of the main fence.

can you explain to me what an easy pass out is and how it differs to the normal ones?

Tbanks ?

Easy Pass Out (EPO) is just a specific type of (mostly) crew wristband. Basically anyone with an EPO wristband can go through the main festival gates easier, as they're not required to show a ticket or collect/hand back a passout.

• Upvote 1