The 1975 2020

Mash011

1 hour ago, circus92 said:

I find a lot of their stuff is like this - a lot of my favourites are tracks that I initially wasn't so keen on.  I am halfway through the new album as I type and feel this one will be exactly the same, but even still I am really liking it so far which bodes well.

One of the things that keeps me coming back to their music as a fan is how different their music can be. I rarely get bored of their songs, but if I do, there's so many other genres / styles that they've experimented with. For example, they've made TOOTIME and People, two vastly different songs. 

So for me this album can feel "messy' for me in parts, but in a great way. You can hear them playing and toying with different ideas on the tracks. Yet it still comes together as an impressive and cohesive album. I don't think I'll get bored of it due to how different each song is. It's like a musical journey through every style they're interested in, and I love it. 

It's definitely a "fan-service" album and it steals a lot of the good themes from I Like It When You Sleep. Probably a little heavy on the filler, and doesn't quite have an over-arching theme in the same way A Brief Inquiry had. I still quite like it, but it's not their best. 

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Given them a go every time a new album has rolled around and never found anything in there to interest me, can't see this record bucking that trend.

More or less the same for me, although I think my judgement is often clouded by how unbearable and cringey I often find Matty. Need to go back and give their stuff a proper listen, although I do remember being pretty unimpressed with A Brief History which is supposed to be their really good one, and I usually just get half way through one of their bloated albums and think ‘fuck this’. 

@FloorFiller

You really do have to put Matty's persona to one side lol

You definitely do have to give their stuff a "proper listen" to get it.  More than most bands I like, I find their stuff reveals itself over repeated listens and my favourites always change significantly after 4 -5 listens.  And yes, definitely agree on the bloat comment - I mean does anyone not skip "The Man Who Married a Robot" after the first listen.

Edited by circus92

I haven’t heard the new one but I’ll be surprised if it’s better than I Like It When You Sleep, which seemed to strike a good balance between trying out different genres and still mostly having great songs, even if a few could have been trimmed off the end. 

There might be more songs like this on the new one but I want a full album of stuff like this

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I haven’t heard the new one but I’ll be surprised if it’s better than I Like It When You Sleep, which seemed to strike a good balance between trying out different genres and still mostly having great songs, even if a few could have been trimmed off the end. 

There might be more songs like this on the new one but I want a full album of stuff like this

Absolutely love this - Epic song that just builds and builds.

Nothing like it on the new one except for "Having No Head" which is similar in length and the fact that it builds slowly and bursts into life halfway through.  It is very electronic whereas Lostmyhead was more guitar based.  Love both of them though.

There’s some definite high points but it’s also really fucking long.

I think this could have been edited down and it would have been stronger than their last. You have to sit through quite a lot to get to the good stuff.

I love the instrumentals but I think they sometimes add some unnecessary fat to the record. If it was a bit tighter I think it would be a stronger release.

Have been listening to this for a few days now (4 times through)

Thought I would do a quick review for anyone interested.

Overall I would rate this 7 out of 10.  I think it has definitely suffered a bit for being too long and therefore a little bit too much filler - could have done with a bit more quality control.  That being said for an album of 22 tracks, there are about 13-14 really good tracks which is still a really strong showing.  One of the things I love about the 1975 is the variety in their material, but I think they have overdone it a little bit this time which makes it a bit all over the place. Although if it was all the same style it would be criticised as being boring and more of the same, so I suppose you cant really win!   I also think they are using the autotune a bit too often - needs to be dialled back a bit.

Current Favourites - If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know), What Should I Say, I Think There's Something You Should Know, Having No Head

The second half is definitely stronger than the first half, so don't give up halfway through.

Overall really good album, and I expect as usual with them I will grow to like it more on further listens.

Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

"The 1975"  4
"People" 7
"The End (Music for Cars)" 5
"Frail State of Mind" 7
"Streaming" 6
"The Birthday Party" 8
"Yeah I Know" 4
"Then Because She Goes" 5
"Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America" 7
"Roadkill" 8
"Me & You Together Song" 8
"I Think There's Something You Should Know" 9
"Nothing Revealed / Everything Denied" 8
"Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)" 8
"Shiny Collarbone" 7
"If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)" 10
"Playing on My Mind" 6
"Having No Head" 8
"What Should I Say" 9
"Bagsy Not in Net" 8
"Don't Worry"  4
"Guys" 7

Went in to this not knowing what to expect what with the incredibly mixed reactions, and I actually really liked it, albeit with the huge caveat that it 100% should've been two separate albums - one of their more standard rock stuff, and another of the more glitchy electronic stuff. There are a fair few times on the album where the transition from one song to another is jarring as hell. I suppose that was kind of what they were going for with such a sprawling project with so many styles, but it hasn't really worked as a single album. Should've Use Your Illusion'd this bitch.

But anyway, I'll be giving their other stuff another go now as they've somewhat won me over, although still think they need to cut their albums down - it's not the 00's anymore and you don't need to fill the full 80 minute capacity of a CD.

Well, at no point did I feel it was too long or anything needed cutting. Switched it on and it kept me engaged throughout. The instrumentals are fantastic for transitioning between pop songs that might otherwise be repetitive. Just feels to me like a fully realised go at where Brief Inquiry failed. Even warmed to the tracks that I didn’t care for as singles.

22 minutes ago, circus92 said:

t

"The 1975"  4
"People" 7
"The End (Music for Cars)" 5
"Frail State of Mind" 7
"Streaming" 6
"The Birthday Party" 8
"Yeah I Know" 4
"Then Because She Goes" 5
"Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America" 7
"Roadkill" 8
"Me & You Together Song" 8
"I Think There's Something You Should Know" 9
"Nothing Revealed / Everything Denied" 8
"Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)" 8
"Shiny Collarbone" 7
"If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)" 10
"Playing on My Mind" 6
"Having No Head" 8
"What Should I Say" 9
"Bagsy Not in Net" 8
"Don't Worry"  4
"Guys" 7

Is this the song lengths

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well, at no point did I feel it was too long or anything needed cutting. Switched it on and it kept me engaged throughout. The instrumentals are fantastic for transitioning between pop songs that might otherwise be repetitive. Just feels to me like a fully realised go at where Brief Inquiry failed. Even warmed to the tracks that I didn’t care for as singles.

Having to put instrumentals between songs to stop them all sounding repetitive isn't exactly great songwriting, is it? I wouldn't say I got bored at any point myself, but it's just a long collection of songs they've thrown together rather than a single album, which is frustrating because there's clearly two separate albums with two separate sounds running through them. I'm not a fan of double albums, but this album re-ordered and divided in to two parts would've done it wonders.

Was also hoping for more Marilyn Mattson after People but that's a huge outlier here.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Having to put instrumentals between songs to stop them all sounding repetitive isn't exactly great songwriting, is it? I wouldn't say I got bored at any point myself, but it's just a long collection of songs they've thrown together rather than a single album, which is frustrating because there's clearly two separate albums with two separate sounds running through them. I'm not a fan of double albums, but this album re-ordered and divided in to two parts would've done it wonders.

Was also hoping for more Marilyn Mattson after People but that's a huge outlier here.

I don’t agree. If the instrumentals stand up on their own and help improve the flow of the album then why not? They’re essentially interludes and more bands ought to do it if they have the knackers. I don’t see what the point is in grouping dongs together based on their style - I’m sure it would be “too samey” if they’d done that.

People works because it’s early on and the Greta speech serves as an intro. It’s somewhat of a novelty (note: not saying it’s a novelty song) rather than an outlier - I don’t want a whole album of songs like that.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If the instrumentals stand up on their own and help improve the flow of the album then why not? They’re essentially interludes and more bands ought to do it if they have the knackers.

I agree - "Streaming" flows brilliantly into "The Birthday Party".