Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Looking at being discharged over my foot in 2 weeks. I can walk, but have been using an air walker (ski) boot most times when I leave my flat, for around a month now.

As soon as I'm out of my ski boot, I'll need to go and break in my walking boots.

I'm also swimming about 9km a week which should start to trim me down again!

Had a test event on the track at my club tonight. Bit of an organisational fuck up, so preparation far from ideal. Stil pretty happy with my 12 minutes on the 3k after some set backs. Probably next 10k in 10 days. Hopefully we have some nice spring weather the coming weeks, makes life so much easier. 

At a gig earlier in the week, so significant amount of standing. Didn't feel prepared for the festival season in that sense. Should include some mandatory standing every day.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:51 PM, Sasperella said:

Keep your tofu marinade recipes coming, people ?

@Quark - grating it???? Two tofu game changers in one day!!! 

Can't manage to get pics attached to a DM, so it's grated tofu recipes for everyone! :lol:

I play around with the volumes, find a consistency and flavour balance you like. Lime zest and desiccated coconut are good additions

20190327_215225.jpg

20190327_215231.jpg

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can't manage to get pics attached to a DM, so it's grated tofu recipes for everyone! :lol:

I play around with the volumes, find a consistency and flavour balance you like. Lime zest and desiccated coconut are good additions

20190327_215225.jpg

20190327_215231.jpg

Ooof these look banging - cheers, Quark I know a veggie who will be delighted with them :)

Edited by Sasperella

5 hours ago, Quark said:

20190327_215225.jpg

20190327_215231.jpg

Sound yum and are kind of on topic for my Glastonbury fitness which has been to eat healthier and walk more. I'm 30lb's down and my step count is definitely up so so far a success. 

I understand what people mean about the standing around though. That is the real killer. I can walk for ages but standing still for a couple of hours and I feel so much worse. 

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

20 miles!!

I might actually finish this marathon.

G'waaan the Jass!

Just got back from a nice 50km with Mrs Q on the bikes. Nearly a week into this PT diet and I have to say that it's  certainly having an effect. Going to wait until Monday so I've got the results from the first full week of the routine, but it's  promising this far.

The funny bit is that yesterday was meant to be my rest day. Being in that IDLES pit was a solid 90 minute workout! :lol:

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

G'waaan the Jass!

Just got back from a nice 50km with Mrs Q on the bikes. Nearly a week into this PT diet and I have to say that it's  certainly having an effect. Going to wait until Monday so I've got the results from the first full week of the routine, but it's  promising this far.

The funny bit is that yesterday was meant to be my rest day. Being in that IDLES pit was a solid 90 minute workout! :lol:

That’s some nice bike work.

Got my last pre-taper run on Thursday, but need to hold a little back for IDLES on Friday.

Edited by Hugh Jass

I'll be joining this thread properly in a few days but checking in for some motivation. I just had a minor op so on bed rest for a couple more days, but am well aware I need to shift a few pounds and get my fitness up after a year of living like a sloth.  Got an exercise bike in the living room that I'm hoping to use daily and I want to get out walking regularly too.  I did a fair bit of walking in Paris a couple of weeks ago and didn't keel over, so hoping it won't be too traumatic ?

22 minutes ago, Seldom Seen Kid said:

I'll be joining this thread properly in a few days but checking in for some motivation. I just had a minor op so on bed rest for a couple more days, but am well aware I need to shift a few pounds and get my fitness up after a year of living like a sloth.  Got an exercise bike in the living room that I'm hoping to use daily and I want to get out walking regularly too.  I did a fair bit of walking in Paris a couple of weeks ago and didn't keel over, so hoping it won't be too traumatic ?

Hope the OP wasn't too bad SSK, good to be up and about again!

I finished my 12 week boot camp this week. I’ve not really stuck to it religiously but I’m 14 kgs down, 18 inches down all around and about 10% body fat down.

ill go back to circuit training 3 times a week, plus 1 footy session and then probably a run thrown in. Plus try and stick to eating right as much as I can.

im so much fitter now which will hopefully stand me in good stead for Glastonbury. I also want to be another stone lighter by the time I get there as well. 

17 minutes ago, Divein said:

I finished my 12 week boot camp this week. I’ve not really stuck to it religiously but I’m 14 kgs down, 18 inches down all around and about 10% body fat down.

ill go back to circuit training 3 times a week, plus 1 footy session and then probably a run thrown in. Plus try and stick to eating right as much as I can.

im so much fitter now which will hopefully stand me in good stead for Glastonbury. I also want to be another stone lighter by the time I get there as well. 

Nicely done, that's some impressive numbers!

1 hour ago, Divein said:

Great job! Keep it up, especially the waist size is important for long-term health. I'm fairly fit, but I fear bootcamps, they completely break me. I should do them more often...

Ok sorry to butt in to this thread but youve all inspired me to at least ask vaguely healthy questions.

Ìve never had problems walking around glastonbury-festivals in general etc, but even as a teen i was crap at running any distance- now im very muxh not a teen, loooking down the barrell of 50. I guess like glastonbury ive spread with time and what used to take 3 days now takes 5 and planning.

Ive lost quite a bit of weight with lifestyle changes/ watching what i eat as opposed to any partivular diet - basically try and aim for 2000cals a day max and ask myself if i really want something- i guess just being aware pf what i eat as opposed to mindlessly reaching fpr choc, crisps etc.

Ive managed tp keep the weight off for 3 years now so am happy i truly have changed my outlook. 

How do i now improve fitness levels bearong in mind a.im inherently lazy. B. I work shifts. C. I live in the arse end of no where- no interesting routes etc on doorstep and d. If i joined a gym i know i just wouldnt go. Any advice welcome cheers

Just did one of those 5km park runs, also bought a baby seat attachment for my bike and did a test run 8 miles the other day.

really unfit that’s first exercise for about 2 years. The park run turned me into a beetroot mess but might try and keep going seems like a good quick and free way to get more healthy 

1 hour ago, danmarks said:

How do i now improve fitness levels bearong in mind a.im inherently lazy. B. I work shifts. C. I live in the arse end of no where- no interesting routes etc on doorstep and d. If i joined a gym i know i just wouldnt go. Any advice welcome cheers

Don’t be sorry to butt in, all threads are open to all  

Depends what you fancy doing. It’s your choice - just like music right?  However I’m  new to this too and am in week 6 of the 9 week couch to 5k, so I’ll share that with you in case it inspires you.

I spent £50 on trail running trainers and I’m now running 3 times a week with the app. It’s basically Jo Whiley (or another if you wish) telling me when to run and walk on a series of pre recorded integrated podcasts.

Today I did my first 20 min run!!! My goal is to get to run 5k non stop by week 9 which should be fine. 

As Keith Flint did his 5k PB of 21 mins, that’ll be the goal after that. 

Several people have recently told me that going from zero to 5k is harder than going from 5k to any other distance. 

Ian 

3 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Don’t be sorry to butt in, all threads are open to all  

Depends what you fancy doing. It’s your choice - just like music right?  However I’m  new to this too and am in week 6 of the 9 week couch to 5k, so I’ll share that with you in case it inspires you.

I spent £50 on trail running trainers and I’m now running 3 times a week with the app. It’s basically Jo Whiley (or another if you wish) telling me when to run and walk on a series of pre recorded integrated podcasts.

Today I did my first 20 min run!!! My goal is to get to run 5k non stop by week 9 which should be fine. 

As Keith Flint did his 5k PB of 21 mins, that’ll be the goal after that. 

Several people have recently told me that going from zero to 5k is harder than going from 5k to any other distance. 

Ian 

Go try a park run you can run and walk when you want but you find running in a group pushes you. I bet you do it non stop now.

keep doing the app though as well.

the park run will give you a time to try and beat next time.

you have to be free at 9am on Saturday though

3 hours ago, danmarks said:

Ok sorry to butt in to this thread but youve all inspired me to at least ask vaguely healthy questions.

Ìve never had problems walking around glastonbury-festivals in general etc, but even as a teen i was crap at running any distance- now im very muxh not a teen, loooking down the barrell of 50. I guess like glastonbury ive spread with time and what used to take 3 days now takes 5 and planning.

Ive lost quite a bit of weight with lifestyle changes/ watching what i eat as opposed to any partivular diet - basically try and aim for 2000cals a day max and ask myself if i really want something- i guess just being aware pf what i eat as opposed to mindlessly reaching fpr choc, crisps etc.

Ive managed tp keep the weight off for 3 years now so am happy i truly have changed my outlook. 

Aye, @ian the worm has it there bud, no such thing as butting in :D

Should point out that none of us here (to my knowledge) are experts!

I've found 2 key things to drive motivation for exercise. One is having something specific that you're working to, whether that's a weight goal, a PB on a time or a lift, or an event you're training for. The other is making sure that you enjoy what you do, otherwise it becomes a chore. If you can find a sweet spot between the two, you're away! 

So some thoughts...

Is there anywhere near work that's worth running? Or anywhere that's drivable in a shortish time where you'd enjoy running more? Park run is definitely a good option, free to do and it's a lot more motivating having other people suffering as well :)

Have you tried running with podcasts? Can take some of the sting out of boredom!

Is cycling an option? Or cycling to work?

Gym classes? Obviously some are more fun, or at least less shit, than other! Spin, group weights, that kind of thing.

Have you tried the interval training stuff you can do at home? Joe Wicks and others have some on YouTube that you could look up, generally quite short and can be done at home.

And is there anything specific to want to work towards? An event you could sign up for or something? I'm not the  biggest fan of running, but I was way more motivated (and enjoyed it more) when I signed up to run an event last year.

Edited by Quark

Just to add I started the park run running along side a running club and I ended it running with grannies, pushchairs dog walkers and a man dressed as a banana who beat me. It’s not all runners there I basically went on day one of couch to 5km ran and walked and still had fun made it round and didn’t quite keel over

What usually motivates me to go for a run is if I make a good playlist of songs I really want to listen to then stick that on and that helps. 

I tried to listen to a podcast the other day as I thought that would take my mind away from running but I ended up zoning into the podcast and slow right down.