The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

57 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

The farm has a bit of a microclimate going on.

Very true! 

In 2016 we were going backwards and forwards the week before hauling our stuff onto site. It would be lashing it down on site and then driving on the A361 back towards Glastonbury we would cross a line and the road would be completely dry. Back home in Taunton everyone would say that the sun had been shining most of the day,

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

The farm has a bit of a microclimate going on, Shepton weather is different to Worthy weather.  All forecasts are just that, educated guesswork.  All the dog knows is the ground is rock hard and the buzzards are thermalling today. There will be some weather everyday but until a couple of days before, we know nothing. 

1 minute ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Very true! 

In 2016 we were going backwards and forwards the week before hauling our stuff onto site. It would be lashing it down on site and then driving on the A361 back towards Glastonbury we would cross a line and the road would be completely dry. Back home in Taunton everyone would say that the sun had been shining most of the day,

The 'good' thing is (if you wanna call it that) if you're out and about at the festival (i.e. not in JPT or something) you can see the weather coming. It's almost impossible to get caught out with the rain in this respect: "Shit, look at that massive black cloud" [*waterproofs go on*]

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

The 'good' thing is (if you wanna call it that) if you're out and about at the festival (i.e. not in JPT or something) you can see the weather coming. It's almost impossible to get caught out with the rain in this respect: "Shit, look at that massive black cloud" [*waterproofs go on*]

In certain years past, if you can’t see the Tor it’s raining, if you can see it, then it’s about to rain! 

8 minutes ago, Lycra said:

It's all a bit like saying "It's going to be cold & wet in winter and warm & dry in summer" at the mo.

Just like the headliner thread, speculation of what could be is half the fun.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Very comforting!!

Imagine the horror of checking every day to see a 10mm+ every day for the whole of june

Accuweather is starting to look a bit worse than before, about 7mm of rain over the festival (which is no problem at all) but rain forecast for quite a few days in June. Fortunately the majority of days where it rains has less than 5mm so should soften the ground up and keep the dust down more than anything. 

6 hours ago, pilton digger said:

The farm has a bit of a microclimate going on, Shepton weather is different to Worthy weather.  All forecasts are just that, educated guesswork.  All the dog knows is the ground is rock hard and the buzzards are thermalling today. There will be some weather everyday but until a couple of days before, we know nothing. 

For sure - in 2009 we had beautiful weather for the whole journey,  clear skies and temps in mid 20s. As soon as we got within sight of the farm we could see a thunderstorm sitting directly over it.

6 hours ago, Woffy said:

Or hear it even.  Trying to remember which year, 2015 perhaps?  I could hear the noise of the rain on tents advance towards us.  Just dashed in before the biblical storm hit.

1 hour ago, dizzymoo said:

For sure - in 2009 we had beautiful weather for the whole journey,  clear skies and temps in mid 20s. As soon as we got within sight of the farm we could see a thunderstorm sitting directly over it.

It might be heresy but that thunderstorm is up there with my fav Glasto moments. And everything dried up pretty quickly afterwards.

26 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Or hear it even.  Trying to remember which year, 2015 perhaps?  I could hear the noise of the rain on tents advance towards us.  Just dashed in before the biblical storm hit.

Hi ICGenie! Hope you’re well!

Yeah. This is true. The noise of the rain or the shouts of “Come on then!”, and the like. 

18 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

It might be heresy but that thunderstorm is up there with my fav Glasto moments. And everything dried up pretty quickly afterwards.

I dunno what I was doing fart arsing about getting there late, but me and the kids arrived on site in darkness that year and it was fucking hooning it down. Lots of lovely people offered to help get the tent up. 

Camped the other side of the railway line from the Glade. Don’t think you can anymore. That was foolhardy but we got away with it as the weather was ok-ish. Although how the kids slept through the Glade’s music in the early hours is beyond me.

Camped next to a lad from Scotland that year who’d set off from home, walking to the train station, over a field of dewey grass, wearing trainers. He had a Head sports bag half fucking full of pills to sell. Lovely bloke. 

We didn’t really get chatting until Sunday morning. He’d woken up in agony. He’d been off his but most of the time. And that was the first time he took his socks and trainers off. I’d never seen actual rotten feet until that day. I dunno if that’s what trench foot looks like, but it can’t be far off. 

Cracking year 2009. 

18 minutes ago, fuzzy_logic said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that 2016 was close to being cancelled, anyone know exactly how close the festival was to being cancelled?

I don't know close it was but I can say the site wasn't pretty on Monday/Tuesday that year. Our crew camping was already a duck pond (literally). Many areas were way behind on the build and the general mood wasn't great. Hats off to all involved for making it happen!

36 minutes ago, fuzzy_logic said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that 2016 was close to being cancelled, anyone know exactly how close the festival was to being cancelled?

15 minutes ago, barcelonista1899 said:

I don't know close it was but I can say the site wasn't pretty on Monday/Tuesday that year. Our crew camping was already a duck pond (literally). Many areas were way behind on the build and the general mood wasn't great. Hats off to all involved for making it happen!

Hmmmm on a bit of a tangent....I wonder how bad it would have to be to get cancelled. Just thinking of Bestival and Y not (was it Y not that got cancelled?). Presumably 2005 or 2007 were worse than either of them*....?

Disclaimer, I wasn't at any of the afformentioned festivals 

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Hmmmm on a bit of a tangent....I wonder how bad it would have to be to get cancelled. Just thinking of Bestival and Y not (was it Y not that got cancelled?). Presumably 2005 or 2007 were worse than either of them*....?

Disclaimer, I wasn't at any of the afformentioned festivals 

I'd guess it would have be a danger to the people attending the festival for it to be cancelled so high winds / extreme flooding, etc ???

38 minutes ago, Woffy said:
49 minutes ago, fuzzy_logic said:

I was staying at a BnB close by of someone I know and had a few mates who live local there.. The whole road Tuesday was full of camper vans unable to go anywhere they were parked in car parks, lay bys etc.. the police were getting nervous which led to the camper fields being opened early

Edited by Stretlow

1 minute ago, Stretlow said:

The decision to open the camper fields early saved an awful lot of bother.  Even at that we spent many  hours in stationary traffic from Glastonbury town to pilton. The adjacent fields to the road were well fertilised with festival goers relieving themselves. 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

The decision to open the camper fields early saved an awful lot of bother.  Even at that we spent many  hours in stationary traffic from Glastonbury town to pilton. The adjacent fields to the road were well fertilised with festival goers relieving themselves. 

On Wednesday?

We were sat in the beer garden and people literally didnt move for hours.. The bar staff ended up taking soft drinks out to the cars

8 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I thought the rumour was that the council were a bawhair away from demanding the festival didn't take place so the gates got opened early. No idea if it's true. I have to admit I was surprised it went ahead. I was half-convinced the entire journey there that it was going to get pulled.

Love the use of that use of the Scottish unit of measurement that’s less than a millimetre! 

Ensembles for Somerset for precipitation going into June look quite good. No constant deluges of rain if you look at the mean(red line). Ignore the green line for 5th to 7th June it's an outlier.  Abit of rain here and there but that's not unusual

Somerset.jpg

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Ensembles for Somerset for precipitation going into June look quite good. No constant deluges of rain if you look at the mean(red line). Ignore the green line for 5th to 7th June it's an outlier.  Abit of rain here and there but that's not unusual

Somerset.jpg

Bloody love a graph, me. Especially one as promising as that! Long may it continue!

Thanks @Aragorn!

16 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Somerset.jpg

Is it an outlier for a clever meteorlogical stats reason, or just because we don't like it ?

32 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Somerset.jpg

Not a scooby what this means but your words sound promising so have an upvote