Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

47 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think Giroud is quality, never understood the Arsenal fans dislike of him. Not world-class but he's a seriously good player. Teams always seem to play better with him in.

Players like Giroud aren’t particularly sexy. They don’t beat four defenders in one run or smash it in from 30 yards. They win headers, hold the ball up and bring other attacking players into play. Some of the (more moronic) Arsenal fans don’t see this. They saw him as a lump who didn’t fit in with the sexy football they wanted to play.

56 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Glad you went on to clarify what you meant by this before I emptied my scrapbook.

Glad you said scrapbook. 

I loved Giroud at arsenal, was absolutely gutted to see him go. The vast majority of fans adored him - understanding that despite not being world class he was pivotal to the team in helping us play attractive football around him. 

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Players like Giroud aren’t particularly sexy. They don’t beat four defenders in one run or smash it in from 30 yards. They win headers, hold the ball up and bring other attacking players into play. Some of the (more moronic) Arsenal fans don’t see this. They saw him as a lump who didn’t fit in with the sexy football they wanted to play.

His link-up play was superb though, he was a huge part of making the likes of Sanchez, Ramsey, Walcott find the space to score great goals. A striker without pace needs to be good at laying the ball off to those that burst past him, and he's one of the best at it around.

Depends on how good the next generation of Argie players are. 35 isn't too old to play in a WC if you're as good as Messi, but they're seriously lacking in midfield talent at present.

If next year a couple of players break through and have a huge impact on the Copa America in 2 years time, then Messi might just have another chance. Their reliance on an aging Mascherano for creative play when he's a defensive mid is shocking though. There's absolutely no link between the back line and the forwards.

18 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Depends on how good the next generation of Argie players are. 35 isn't too old to play in a WC if you're as good as Messi, but they're seriously lacking in midfield talent at present.

If next year a couple of players break through and have a huge impact on the Copa America in 2 years time, then Messi might just have another chance. Their reliance on an aging Mascherano for creative play when he's a defensive mid is shocking though. There's absolutely no link between the back line and the forwards.

When you compare the Argentina squad of today with the one in the late 90s there is no comparison. Reading Vickery they have completely messed up in terms of youth development. I liked the look of Pavon though.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

When you compare the Argentina squad of today with the one in the late 90s there is no comparison. Reading Vickery they have completely messed up in terms of youth development. I liked the look of Pavon though.

It's barely a cohesive squad, they have plenty of options for a front 3, but no creative midfielders and their defense is incredibly average. When you think the likes of Dybala, and Higuain have barely played it with Aguero on the bench vs France, it shows their striking options, but they have nothing else going for them.

I bet if Diego were still in charge he'd have gone 3-2-5 and just played all of them!

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think England have next to no chance of beating Croatia. 

Me too. I wasn't saying it in relation to our chances, but Croatia being the best team in one half of the World Cup is still pretty wild.

Edit: Actually, I think "next to no chance" is pushing it. I'd expect them to win but certainly wouldn't be shocked if we beat them.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's barely a cohesive squad, they have plenty of options for a front 3, but no creative midfielders and their defense is incredibly average. When you think the likes of Dybala, and Higuain have barely played it with Aguero on the bench vs France, it shows their striking options, but they have nothing else going for them.

I bet if Diego were still in charge he'd have gone 3-2-5 and just played all of them!

Banega is creative af. Lo Celso would have been, too.

I hope Messi steps away, to be honest. I am kinda confused as to what’s going on behind the scenes in the Argentina camp but, either way, I don’t see how the team is gonna grow if the idea continues to be “play it to Lionel”, “you’re not playing well enough for Lionel”, etc.