Lineup 2020

randlfan

I was also at APE to see Bring Me, and wow they were incredible. Also saw the 1975 in Sheffield in January and this absolutely smashed that gig. Really confused as why people on this thread don’t like them though? The crowd they drew last night was insane and everyone there was loving it, no people just for a free ride. Really not many bands in the UK who can pull off a gig like they did, hell of an experience. As well as the setlist being spot on, vocals and sound very good etc, the pyrotechnics, visuals, atmosphere between intervals... superbly done. 

In in terms of other bands there, Nothing but Thieves solid as ever, I’m not their biggest fan but Idles drew in a big crowd, Loftus Eater and Yonaka the other standouts to me as well as Run the Jewels who had such a fun set. 

2 hours ago, gfa said:

With Citadel? They've headlined a London fest 3 years in a row and seemingly the first 2 sold alright. They've toured so heavily its not too surprising they are struggling to sell Citadel. Or do you mean the album as i don't really like it but seems to of gone down alright.

APE didn’t sell that well from what I heard, I mean, they didn’t do as bad as BMTH but still underwhelming 

BMTH’s crowd wasn’t massive by any stretch last night. I would guess around 25/30k.

They were absolutely incredible though and smashed their first headline slot. Oli is now at the point where his live vocals are really, really good. There was no sign of the dreaded backing track which was great to see/hear.

The setlist was wonderful; they dropped in some older bangers and brought out some awesome guests. Dani Filth coming out in full get up for Wonderful Life was bizarre but cool. Sam Carter came out for The Sadness Will Never End which was madness. People lost their shit for it. It was also a really nice touch for them to bring out the vocalist from Lotus Eater (an excellent, heavy young band with 2 EPs) to do a song with them and made time to praise Lotus Eater so that will do them a world of good. The new material sounded great live too. 

The stage production was amazing too. They pulled out all the stops to make sure it was special and unique and it definitely was. 

Whilst I feel that they have missed the boat to headline outright, I think they could definitely still be in the running to co-headline. They proved last night that they are more than capable of putting on a headline performance. 

It was my seventh time seeing them and after being severely underwhelmed and disappointed the last few times, I’m so glad to see that they’re now a top-tier live band. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

BMTH’s crowd wasn’t massive by any stretch last night. I would guess around 25/30k.

They were absolutely incredible though and smashed their first headline slot. Oli is now at the point where his live vocals are really, really good. There was no sign of the dreaded backing track which was great to see/hear.

The setlist was wonderful; they dropped in some older bangers and brought out some awesome guests. Dani Filth coming out in full get up for Wonderful Life was bizarre but cool. Sam Carter came out for The Sadness Will Never End which was madness. People lost their shit for it. It was also a really nice touch for them to bring out the vocalist from Lotus Eater (an excellent, heavy young band with 2 EPs) to do a song with them and made time to praise Lotus Eater so that will do them a world of good. The new material sounded great live too. 

The stage production was amazing too. They pulled out all the stops to make sure it was special and unique and it definitely was. 

Whilst I feel that they have missed the boat to headline outright, I think they could definitely still be in the running to co-headline. They proved last night that they are more than capable of putting on a headline performance. 

It was my seventh time seeing them and after being severely underwhelmed and disappointed the last few times, I’m so glad to see that they’re now a top-tier live band. 

All of this is absolutely spot on. Maybe they’ll still be given a shot to headline next year but feel its hugely unlikely 

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Wasn't the bigger crowd goes though by the amount of cheaper tickets or even free tickets going?

Unfortunately an epic headline set infront of 25k doesn't justify a co-headline set, they are even booked lower at Glastonbury this year and they are mainstream as they've ever been now.

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Wasn't the bigger crowd goes though by the amount of cheaper tickets or even free tickets going?

Unfortunately an epic headline set infront of 25k doesn't justify a co-headline set, they are even booked lower at Glastonbury this year and they are mainstream as they've ever been now.

Thye seemed to pull a bigger crowd than CATQ though and she's headlining the other stage. Glastonbury placings don't really mean that much. I still think Bring Me could probably co-headline with somebody bigger, just being in that slot would give them a boost. Definitely a strong sub if not like Royal Blood this year, and not sure they'd turn down another sub spot now. Oli seems pretty happy just to play wherever they can 

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

So in a year everyone will be ready to see them again?

Good point. Not sure but I guess Reading has more of a draw as in people from the midlands/west like bristol etc plus the school leavers crowd and like they'd be part of the weekend instead of the main draw, I don't know. I like catfish but would obviously prefer a 'proper' big name headliner to them.

Edited by gfa

18 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Mirroring this. They were phenomenal, easily one of if not the best live performances I’ve seen. I was right at the front barrier dropping back into the pits every now and then and it really was incredible. Only other time I’d seen them was the secret set at Reading where I thought they were good anyway, this was next level. Not a single song sounded off or bad especially not the older ones like Diamonds Aren’t Forever, Pray For Plagues, etc.  Which is weird when you consider the fact that I’m not a huge fan of anything pre-sempiternal!

BMTH as a band are 100% ready to headline, just seems as if the demand to see them isn’t there at the minute for whatever reason I guess. It’s a shame as I don’t think they’ll get another chance at it at this point.

Edited by TheWaters

4 hours ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Thye seemed to pull a bigger crowd than CATQ though and she's headlining the other stage. Glastonbury placings don't really mean that much. I still think Bring Me could probably co-headline with somebody bigger, just being in that slot would give them a boost. Definitely a strong sub if not like Royal Blood this year, and not sure they'd turn down another sub spot now. Oli seems pretty happy just to play wherever they can 

Baring in mind that C&TQ would have been an Other sub due The Prodigy's booked unfortunately not coming through.

It's still something though when 2016 you were booked in at 3rd place and you've dropped down two placings now, it's essentially a JP equivalent headline set and to be honest you would get act an 5th down Other subbing JP.

Edited by thewayiam

47 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Did the crowd seem like the type of people who go to Download?

Judging by the band t-shirts I saw on display all day, I would say yes. Not an indicator at all but loads and loads of people I spoke to across the day (I talk to a lot of people at festivals) were going to Download in a couple of weeks time. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Judging by the band t-shirts I saw on display all day, I would say yes. Not an indicator at all but loads and loads of people I spoke to across the day (I talk to a lot of people at festivals) were going to Download in a couple of weeks time. 

Fair. I can totally see them headlining Download, way more so than R&L. Cos if you had any other potential new DL headliner doing their own outdoor day thing, whether its ADTR, FFDP, Alter Bridge or Korn or whoever, they'd have sold it way worse than them for sure.

I went to APE the other day and can vouch for how good BMTH were, definitely headline-ready in terms of performance. Thought Architects and IDLES were very good live too. Would expect Architects to return to Leeds. Little Surprised IDLES aren't playing already

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

I went to APE the other day and can vouch for how good BMTH were, definitely headline-ready in terms of performance. Thought Architects and IDLES were very good live too. Would expect Architects to return to Leeds. Little Surprised IDLES aren't playing already

IDLES were brilliant. They had so much energy and so did the crowd, they were going nuts from beginning to end. I enjoyed their set so much. 

Architects were good but I wasn't blown away by them. I don't know if it is because I've seen them three times in the last year or so but I wasn't as impressed with them as I was other bands on the day. I can definitely see them returning to R&L as a third down main stage or Radio 1 headliner, though. That is if Download doesn't snap them up which seems overdue. 

Edited by Andre91

Don't think I saw anyone that disappointed me on the BMTH day of APE tbf. Sleeping With Sirens were w*nk but I knew that already, and While She Sleeps was down to bad sound tbf.

Would happily welcome an Architects R1 headline/3rd Down. Run The Jewels in a similar slot would be ace too. Get Yonaka and Black Futures booked as many years as possible while they can get away with playing the same kind of slots multiple times, both very good.

Joe Jonas has said in a recent interview that "My Chemical Romance were apparently rehearsing next to us in New York recently, which- I thought they broke up, so... that's the gossip".

If that's true surely they'll be doing big festivals again next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them headline again, or if the reunion comes soon enough, secret set this year.

Edited by TheWaters

10 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Joe Jonas has said in a recent interview that "My Chemical Romance were apparently rehearsing next to us in New York recently, which- I thought they broke up, so... that's the gossip".

If that's true surely they'll be doing big festivals again next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them headline again, or if the reunion comes soon enough, secret set this year.

the real question is why were you reading a Joe Jonas interview :D

7 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

NME posted that he let it slip and had to check it out for myself.

This has nothing to do with my raging love for the Jonas Brothers?

Frank has been out on tour and Mikey and his wife have just had a baby. I’m not buying it.