West Holts 2019

BlackHole2006

4 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

We lay claim to Nazareth, The Skids, Big Country and Barbara Dickson. But not, sadly, David Byrne.

Would love to see Nazareth.... wonder if they're still playing in any form...

Edit: "The band continues to record and tour." from Wikipedia - only one surviving member though. Still, great songs...

Edited by billum

2 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Off to see David Byrne in a few weeks, liking what I’ve been seeing :)

more importantly, will you like what you'll be hearing?

When I caught him back in June it was immediately obvious that most of the crowd's exposure to Talking Heads was limited (I'm guessing the 'Sand In the Vaseline' compilation) as they didn't know some of the best songs in existence, the twats.

I'm doing it again in a few days. :) 

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

more importantly, will you like what you'll be hearing?

When I caught him back in June it was immediately obvious that most of the crowd's exposure to Talking Heads was limited (I'm guessing the 'Sand In the Vaseline' compilation) as they didn't know some of the best songs in existence, the twats.

I'm doing it again in a few days. :) 

I’ll be sweet, Mrs Moth might get a glazed look though ?

He's spiced up the setlist since the last leg by walloping in one of the Heads' biggest songs at a key juncture in the show.

There's a four song stretch of solo material which seemed to be when peoples' attention wandered a bit, but otherwise he tore the roof off the place.  And the place was way busier than I expected for such a big arena.  

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He's spiced up the setlist since the last leg by walloping in one of the Heads' biggest songs at a key juncture in the show.

Hmmm. Road To Scotland*. I thought the setlist was much much better for the omission of that and Cyclist Killer.

(* :P )

There's a four song stretch of solo material which seemed to be when peoples' attention wandered a bit, but otherwise he tore the roof off the place.  And the place was way busier than I expected for such a big arena.  

as he says*, he's having his Cohen / Pixies / pick another band moment.

(* i wish he'd come up with a new ad-lib)

Some of us used to go see him in small venues.

Edited by eFestivals

Those days would seem to be gone, at least for the time being - he's an elder statesman now.  Although I'd be surprised if he mounts anything quite as ambitious as this again.

Road to Nowhere went over pretty well, though that will largely have been driven by people like myself who've done fewer shifts at the Byrne coalface.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:10 AM, Wakey321 said:

Went to see David Byrne last night at Leeds Arena. An incredible night and an instant top 5 ever gig for me!

Setlist was fantastic. Stage performance was epic.

Really hope he brings this to Glastonbury

I've nabbed a late ticket for this tonight, largely on the back of posts like this and @CaledonianGonzo's -  despite it being at the O2 (AKA Oh, Queue). I hope it lives up to the billing!

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I've nabbed a late ticket for this tonight, largely on the back of posts like this and @CaledonianGonzo's -  despite it being at the O2 (AKA Oh, Queue). I hope it lives up to the billing!

the show's great, but I hope you get a better venue and not a singles-only-audience like I did the other night.

(I thought it was bad enough the first time with a greatest hits audience. I'd forgotten it could be worse than that)

Edited by eFestivals

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the show's great, but I hope you get a better venue and not a singles-only-audience like I did the other night.

(I thought it was bad enough the first time with a greatest hits audience. I'd forgotten it could be worse than that)

Little hope on the venue front! And it's seated, so up to the Gods whether those nearby actually know much of his discography.

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Did they let you dance in the end? :lol:

19 hours ago, eFestivals said:

The venue remains a corporate hellhole, but the crowd were pretty good actually, most people around me were properly into it throughout.

Wonderful show, although it's a crime he's playing it to all-seater stadiums when those songs demand to be danced to. Bring it to a field!! West Holts headliner or even Pyramid sub would go down a treat.

14 hours ago, fuzzy_logic said:

Been listening to the Ezra Collective a lot recently, surely a definite for the WH..?

Yeah Kamaal Williams was there in 2017 and the Peckham jazz scene has just taken off since then, so I reckon we'll see Ezra and maybe Sons of Kemet and / or Kamaal in some incarnation there next year. Which would be excellent!