West Holts 2019

BlackHole2006

37 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I'd say Orbital would wait till the 50th and chuck Jon Hopkins in instead, but that doesnt help with what dental said.

I guess they wouldn't wanna clash Streets with Wu-Tang either if possible too?

Yeah they're both fair points. I would agree about Orbital if it wasn't for Neil having heard they're playing. No idea where that leaves Jon Hopkins though, seems an obvious choice to play but I'm not sure where.

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

oh c'mon. west holts put public enemy up against the stones.

I'd guess that when it comes to the bookings they can't take too much notice of what's on the other stages, because there'll always be competition.

As many stages are responsible for their own bookings, and daily scheduling I assume, who takes responsibility for ensuring obvious conflicting clashes are minimised? And does each stage have to produce a wish-list they intend to work on, to avoid duplicated efforts? Is there a pecking order, if the Pyramid wants an act, they have the muscle?

12 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

As many stages are responsible for their own bookings, and daily scheduling I assume, who takes responsibility for ensuring obvious conflicting clashes are minimised? And does each stage have to produce a wish-list they intend to work on, to avoid duplicated efforts? Is there a pecking order, if the Pyramid wants an act, they have the muscle?

I know back when Melvin was running the licence there were meetings with stage managers about scheduling, to ensure there wouldn't be problematic crowd movements.

I'd guess there's something similar goes on with bands for clashes, and that bookers get sight of what other bookers are doing (to some extent, anyway) so that they can fit around each other in the best way they can - but I'd also guess there's a limit on what they'd be able to change. Bands are (as far as I know) booked in for specific slots.

I think every booker probably starts with a pencilled-in list which they then try to make happen. I wouldn't be surprised if these got shared between them.

I think bands might sometimes get two simultaneous offers from two stages, and it would be up to them which they took - or both. There's a fair amount of "I want to get this band who's already booked for that stage" going on, cos amongst other things they don't need to provide entrance tickets for an act that's already booked by another stage; they might also get them cheaper.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:48 PM, dentalplan said:

They're only available on the middle pin? That doesn't seem promising... but it's happened before. They'd be about Park headline sized right?

Unless they were actually headlining the Park, I'd be pretty down for this. More of a new fan as well - had the idea they were boring before, but I was either mistaken or my taste in music becomes more boring as time goes by.

Beirut are an amazing band. But...they have a very singular sound that, with prolonged listening can get a bit repetitive. Translate that to a live set with a healthy smattering of the best tracks from across their records and they are FAB! They're great musicians and always seem to have a lot of fun on stage, so there's a huge feelgood factor.

They'd be ace as Park headliners and, clashmageddon aside, I'd be there. And Zach plays uke and trumpet/flugelhorn. Which makes him very cool.

Ben

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

West Holts never gets the latter though

Rolf in 2009 or 2010 - cannot remember the year.

Also, Hot 8 Brass Band last year was a busy, passive crowd. 

Wu were terrible when I saw them rock up to Newcastle Academy with their reserves. They didn’t sound-check and subsequently the vox were awful – quite a big factor in a hip-hop gig. Enjoyed them in 2011 though.

Edited by Badlands

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's a great point, to be fair. Give me a dedicated up-for-it crowd of 400 over a box-ticking crowd of 40,000 sat in fold-up chairs

I prefer a small crowd, like that 

it was more gig like, everyone there just to see them 

38 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I prefer a small crowd, like that 

it was more gig like, everyone there just to see them 

I get you. One of the worst things about being in a festival crowd is that there's no guarantee that everyone shares your enthusiasm for the act, which can be a bit of a buzzkill. I guess getting nearer the front amongst like-minded souls is the way forward.

5 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah they're both fair points. I would agree about Orbital if it wasn't for Neil having heard they're playing. No idea where that leaves Jon Hopkins though, seems an obvious choice to play but I'm not sure where.

Sunday potentially? JH surely got to be there at some point