Pre festival Nerves

shuttlep

I'm always nervous beforehand. Mostly it's the stress of having to carry enough stuff for a week onto and off of a bus, a train, a train, a shuttle bus, and then in through Gate A and all across the site in what appears to be forecast for searing heat on Monday, and then getting home doing it all in reverse while knackered, exhausted and just wanting to get the fuck home.

I'll be fine once I'm in and pitched, but by Saturday night the nagging 'how am I getting home' fear will appear again. Grrrr. I want a teleporter.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning I took a phone call from a colleague as I was heading out on a visit and my ear turned the speaker phone on, so I looked at the phone and fell down the stairs! My ankle was killing me for a few minutes and all I could think was 'Please No! - I'm working at Glastonbury next week!' My colleague was still on the phone and I could hear his voice from the receiver saying 'Are you OK?' And I had to shout - 'I'll call you back!' After a while I think it is just twisted. My ankle and knees are a bit sore but I will mend in time!

Yes - I always get nervous. This time is my first time working the festival and I am nervous about how I'll cope. I am also nervous that I'll miss my coach from Bristol. Shelter insist you travel in with them and only run coaches from 3 places - London, Sheffield, Bristol. I am travelling from Birmingham and I hope nothing goes wrong with my train. It's also my first time on my own, and I don't know how well I'll manage getting there with everything on my back. I am nervous about everything. 

Also - I look forward to it for so long that just before it starts, I begin to get sad that it'll soon be over.

6 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Got to get today's milestone of guns n roses out the way then I will be on full panic mode packing for me and the kids. Also terrified the caravan I've hired won't be delivered. Plus one daughter complaining of sore throat...I've already got a cough so dont want that as well.

Get to Boots and buy their cold and flu defence spray asap, it's the best thing ever!

5 hours ago, Sasperella said:

My friend, who isn't going, also took it upon herself to email me and point out the frequency of my glasto fb posts (I hasten to add, its usually just me liking stuff, I'm surprised it even comes up on her newsfeed). When I told her it was because i was so crazy excited I was close to implosion she said "oh, I was just talking about it with (insert bfs name here) and we both agreed we weren't at all bothered not to be going.." WHY WOULD ANYONE SAY THAT TO ME??? I pointed out that was just because she'd never been before and thus had not been bitten by the crazy glasto bug

That right there is jealousy.  That someone would go out of their way to tell you that they're not bothered about not going to a festival you enjoy is just odd.

Whatever nerves you're having now, just remember how you'll feel when you arrive.

in the immortal words of the geezer i heard on a very old analogue mobile in 1993: "I'm at fucking Glastonbury, mate"

bring the motherfucker on!!!

Edited by annax
Time travel: 1993, not 2003

9 hours ago, StePotts said:

I'm cacking it as we're hiring a motorhome which I'm driving down there from Manc. I've never even driven a regular van! So if you see a motorhome doing about 35mph on the M5 you'll know who it is.

First time I drove anything bigger than a car I nearly soiled myself. Once I got going it was fine. Most frightening but was the understeer on the motorway slip road. Go easy on long sweeping bends and go slow and wide on sharp bends and you'll be reet. 

2 hours ago, verrymerry said:

That right there is jealousy.  That someone would go out of their way to tell you that they're not bothered about not going to a festival you enjoy is just odd.

Yeh, I guess that would explain it.... that and having zero tact, as even if she really does't want to go and thinks glasto is awful a simple "oh yes, that'll be nice" is the appropriate response. Which my Grandma has nailed :)

On another note, am a little less nervous now as I practice packed (does anyone else do that?) and carried the practice bag in ALMOST all its glory to my new house (15 min walk away). So at the very least I should be able to make it to Pylon from the coach drop-off no probs. Crucially, booze not included, but even thats better now as my friend whose camper vanning it offered to take a couple of cider boxes for me. Boom!!!:danced:

I'm absolutely bricking it. I'm fairly sure I only ever re-appear on efests to state how blooming nervous I am.

This year it's been set off by a row with family, who are upset I'm going with friends and not them, despite agreeing we'd go our separate ways over six months ago... Up until that point, I'd actually been able to keep any anxiety at bay.

I know it'll all be a distant memory once we're inside mind!

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks but decided to create an account just so that I can join in about the nerves. I've never been to Glastonbury (or any other festival except a day at  Cornbury) and, although I've always really fancied it, at 58, thought that ship had sailed. To my amazement I won two tickets (don't hate me :-)) so I'm treating my son to what I'm hoping will be an unforgettable experience (for all the right reasons). But I'm anxious as hell as I've no real idea what to expect - I'm full of silly fears, what if I can't get my tent up, don't know where to put it, forget something vital, contravene some obscure festival protocol, and on, and on ...Haven't slept properly for over a week. Reading here has really helped with the practicalities though so thanks to all who take the time to contribute. I'm sure it'll all work out.:unsure:

1 minute ago, cerridwen59 said:

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks but decided to create an account just so that I can join in about the nerves. I've never been to Glastonbury (or any other festival except a day at  Cornbury) and, although I've always really fancied it, at 58, thought that ship had sailed. To my amazement I won two tickets (don't hate me :-)) so I'm treating my son to what I'm hoping will be an unforgettable experience (for all the right reasons). But I'm anxious as hell as I've no real idea what to expect - I'm full of silly fears, what if I can't get my tent up, don't know where to put it, forget something vital, contravene some obscure festival protocol, and on, and on ...Haven't slept properly for over a week. Reading here has really helped with the practicalities though so thanks to all who take the time to contribute. I'm sure it'll all work out.:unsure:

there are tips for putting most tents up on youtube these days ... other tips don't pitch too close to the toilets !! they get a bit pongy or too close to a path if you can avoid it ( less necessary in the dry weather ) don't pitch in a dip .... but don't worry about anything else you can buy most things on site ... most of all have a great time 

Thanks both for tips about pitching. We're arriving by coach tea time tomorrow so might wait till it cools down a bit to attempt the full pitch - just lay out the canvas where we want to be. I will probably be grateful for helpful neighbours though - I've never put the tent up by myself and my son is pretty new to camping so we're expecting a few fun and games. Good idea @crazyfool1 I'll check out Youtube - boost my confidence. :-) 

10 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

If you are struggling with your tent or anything I'm sure there will be neighbours volunteering to help you out before you get too worked up.

Absolutely this, most people are nice and friendly and I'm hoping for a bit of help as I'm setting up camp on my own.

I'll be at the top of Michaels Mead if anyone fancies giving me a hand with my tent.  I'll have a lot of time to kill when I'm set up so more than happy to help others.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:56 PM, pie_and_a_pint said:

I'll be fine once I'm in and pitched, but by Saturday night the nagging 'how am I getting home' fear will appear again. Grrrr. I want a teleporter.

Totally me as well.  The getting there and getting back are the most stressful parts for me, it plays on my mind towards the end of the festival and most years takes the spark out of Sunday for me.

I have some health issues, so took an extra few days before the festival to rest up, relax and prepare mentally.  I've barely fickin' slept. 

Car crashes galore in my group currently. One guy's nan has just been taken into hospital and so now wants to hold off going until later - he was meant to be on the 1am coach with me tonight.

Another is having an emergency operation on his hand after being bitten by a dog the other day - he was meant to be on the 1am coach with me tonight.

We are trying to draft in replacements. Anyone know if National express give a shit if the people using the tickets arent the names originally given when booking the tickets? We are working on the basis that they never check that sort of thing as they are far too busy.

1 hour ago, cerridwen59 said:

Just take your time with everything. Theres no rush at all at Glastonbury as everyone goes at their own pace.

You will have an amazing time. This place is incredible. Theres no other place like it on Earth!

I hope you and your son have an amazing festival!

Feeling nervous this morning but that's usual! :)

Everything's bought and packed and every arrangement's been made. Hasn't stopped me checking that I definitely printed my coach ticket four times tho!

I can get a bit anxious around lots of people but the highs of being there far outweigh the lows so I know everything's going to be amazing. Not letting thoughts of problems cloud my mind & instead thinking of all the great times and lovely people I'll meet instead :wub:

My stomach is in knots today with excitement. Had many dreams, or should I say nightmares, last night of things going wrong.  All were along the same theme of shit happening and me missing the whole festival, for reasons ranging from not finding a camping spot and by the time I do it's Sunday and I've missed it all, to losing my boarding pass for my flight to Glastonbury (oh and by the way, I could see the Glastonbury sign out my window before departing for the airport to fly there). I live in the Midlands so fuck knows where that came from.

Thought I'd join! Pretty much every night now I've been having similar dreams which involve not getting there until late Friday, and the feeling that everyone is pretty much "done" with it ! Last night I dreamt that I got there Tuesday, everyone would put up their tent then come back the next day - only we spent so long exploring we forgot to do it and had no where to camp! They seem so silly in light of day but I always wake up so stressed! 

2 hours ago, Wakey321 said:

Just take your time with everything. Theres no rush at all at Glastonbury as everyone goes at their own pace.

You will have an amazing time. This place is incredible. Theres no other place like it on Earth!

I hope you and your son have an amazing festival!

Thank you so much for the reassurance. Everyone who's been seems to love it, so it must be a very special experience. I'm really excited about getting there now (in between the attacks of nerves). :-) I took a look at the BBC webcam last night - fantastic.

23 minutes ago, cerridwen59 said:

Thank you so much for the reassurance. Everyone who's been seems to love it, so it must be a very special experience. I'm really excited about getting there now (in between the attacks of nerves). :-) I took a look at the BBC webcam last night - fantastic.

Pre festival nerves is a given for me, it doesn't change the more you go!

just remember once you are through those gates you you are in the most beautiful place with the most beautiful people, every care or worry you have will disappear.

There really is no place like it.