Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

4 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I do feel like if people have a problem they are probably arriving like 5/10 mins before the band comes on. 

Thousands do it every time. The band they really want to see are on in 15 minutes and they join a 20 minute queue for food in one of the busy stalls at the Pyramid and then moan about not getting a good spot. 

During the Stones in 13 a girl left for pints (just in front of the pit) and walked backwards all the way through the crowd and then arrived back an hour later in tears (having walked through the crowd again but this time from the back of the field to the front) with 4 pints all of which half empty/spilled over her. 

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Thousands do it every time. The band they really want to see are on in 15 minutes and they join a 20 minute queue for food in one of the busy stalls at the Pyramid and then moan about not getting a good spot. 

During the Stones in 13 a girl left for pints (just in front of the pit) and walked backwards all the way through the crowd and then arrived back an hour later in tears (having walked through the crowd again but this time from the back of the field to the front) with 4 pints all of which half empty/spilled over her. 

It's begs belief doesn't it. 

If I really want to see a headliner on the Pyramid I leave what ever sub act is on early, go to the toilet get a snack and a drink and make sure I have hip flask with me and or any substances one might partake in, arrive at the Pyramid just as the sub ends and everyone walks away to get sorted and I get a perfect spot. 

Been doing festivals for ages and this always works. 

Edited by Xeph1995

49 minutes ago, Neil said:

does anyone remember how glastonbury billed (wrong-named) these guys the first time they played.

Had to look it up....on the 1999 poster as 'Queens of the Stone Age' but not so on Efests.....was that an error on the site or a name taken from another source at the time?

16 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Every time I've seen a Pyramid headliner I've been very close to the front with little issue, as long as you arrive in decent time the crowd is never usually that dense, I had the perfect spot for The Cure, right in the middle and far enough back I could see the the everything clearly without having to turn my head.

I do feel like if people have a problem they are probably arriving like 5/10 mins before the band comes on. 

This is part of what I mean by rigmarole though - in order to comfortably watch a Pyramid headliner/sub, you need to be there way in advance, then it takes an hour or more to get back out into the festival, and during that time you've either gotta stay in one place and forgo bar/toilet for hours, or get through the crowds that have amassed around the sides since you've been in your spot - only worth doing for a band you really want to see.

7 minutes ago, Littlechef87 said:

This is part of what I mean by rigmarole though - in order to comfortably watch a Pyramid headliner/sub, you need to be there way in advance, then it takes an hour or more to get back out into the festival, and during that time you've either gotta stay in one place and forgo bar/toilet for hours, or get through the crowds that have amassed around the sides since you've been in your spot - only worth doing for a band you really want to see.

I guess it depends on your personal tolerance for stuff like this is because I don't consider it a rigmarole but maybe that's because it's just the way I do stuff at festivals. 

I always seem to get out pretty fast too tbh, I'm pretty good at getting myself through crowds through, never had an issue getting to the SEC after. 

I seem to be of the same mind as most posters.

Seen QOTSA a good few times over the last 20 years but never seen Elton, and this is the only opportunity.

Think I'll plan it out a little. Attempt to stand on the other stage side. If its too crowded and I'm not feeling it, high tail it off to the other stage for QOTSA and a guaranteed good show.

Sober Sunday for me and I'm a good crowd navigator so its feasible, probably...

28 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

I seem to be of the same mind as most posters.

Seen QOTSA a good few times over the last 20 years but never seen Elton, and this is the only opportunity.

Think I'll plan it out a little. Attempt to stand on the other stage side. If its too crowded and I'm not feeling it, high tail it off to the other stage for QOTSA and a guaranteed good show.

Sober Sunday for me and I'm a good crowd navigator so its feasible, probably...

This will be my plan of action.

I would never go to an Elton John gig, however appreciate his music, though QoTSA are one of my favourite bands. Tough clash.

Royal Blood v Fred Again v Young Fathers v special guest on John Peel stage is tough too

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There something I’ve missed re: John Woodsies special guest, or this pure speculation of your Friday clash getting worse?

Someone posted on here something about it a few weeks ago though no idea what topic it is under! I guess we will find out more in the next 48 hours! 

2 hours ago, Littlechef87 said:

"It's on the pyramid so it's a must see" is a weird logic. Pyramid is such a rigmarole - navigating crowds, bar, toilets, finding mates, being miles from the stage, the amount of time it takes to get out after a headliner (which always ends up killing any party vibe) - I avoid it as much as possible, not choose to see artists BECAUSE they're there. 

With you on Roisin Murphy - only went last year because I didn't much fancy any of the headliners, but ended up being an unexpected highlight of the festival (see also Pet Shop Boys)

I get that, but I don't go anywhere near the front anyway, I normally stand just off the access trackway on the hill so getting in and out for toilet etc is easy.

I guess I'm just worried in case I miss a vintage set, but realise that is the wrong reason really to go see him when I know deep down I'd rather be at QOTSA. 

Yeah Roisin was great, did feel bad for her as crowd was so small but she aced it regardless.

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Had to look it up....on the 1999 poster as 'Queens of the Stone Age' but not so on Efests.....was that an error on the site or a name taken from another source at the time?

the ecfests source was the festival's line-up info?

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

Guess I'm just worried in case I miss a vintage set, but realise that is the wrong reason really to go see him when I know deep down I'd rather be at QOTSA.

Queens could also be an absolute vintage set too, I'd be absolutely wounded if they brought back a few classics like Mexicola. 

Edited by Xeph1995

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It would be a highlight for me if they were to play Songs for the Deaf in its entirety, then a few hits tacked on at the end. 

Why would they do that? Brand new record out on 16th June.

100% settled on QOTSA now. Decided my reason for wanting to see Elton was a little silly and I have no idea if or when I will ever get the chance to see one of my Favourite bands headline Glastonbury again so it's gotta be Queen's. 

Also judging by their recent performance videos they look tight as f**k and Josh sounds great so. 

Edited by Xeph1995