Where do I start with...

kalifire

Ah, the line up poster. While many people seem to be able to form a very specific judgement about it, I gaze on it all and wonder who the hell most of these people are. Am I alone?

So I thought a thread that could point those of us without a clue in the right direction might be nice.

Shall I start?

The National. No idea. What's going on there, then?
Father John Mistry. I've heard lots of hype but I'm none the wiser. Help!

That's two for you.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Ah, the line up poster. While many people seem to be able to form a very specific judgement about it, I gaze on it all and wonder who the hell most of these people are. Am I alone?

So I thought a thread that could point those of us without a clue in the right direction might be nice.

Shall I start?

That's two for you.

For The National I'd personally start with Boxer. If you like that then maybe move to High Violet after that. 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Shall I start?

That's two for you.

The National - A lot will say High Violet is the most accessible, particularly as it has their 2 biggest songs on it (Bloodbuzz Ohio and England) but I'm really not a big fan of it. Boxer is their best album, and just as accessible in my opinion.

Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear is great, but it's starting to look like his setlist is going to be almost entirely from the new album Pure Comedy, which at this point doesn't seem like a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I'm with you on The National. People seem to be well excited for them but I'm not aware of their stuff I don't think.

Phoenix too...they good then?

With Phoenix I'd start with Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, their biggest album and full of great songs. 

For The National either Boxer or High Violet to start with, both are incredible albums and probably their easiest to get into but you can't go wrong with any of the last 4.

6 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I'm with you on The National. People seem to be well excited for them but I'm not aware of their stuff I don't think.

Phoenix too...they good then?

Phoenix are brilliant. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is their biggest and best album, and you'll probably recognize a few songs from it.

In fact, if you watched any recent Channel 4 sitcoms (Inbetweeners and Fresh Meat in particular) then you'll probably know the whole album :P

After that, try United and Bankrupt

Edited by pastorofmuppets

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Shall I start?

That's two for you.

The nation Express - do coaches

Father John Misty - I am sure he did my sisters wedding last June, he might be in the healing fields doing hand fisting 

3 minutes ago, Waapster said:

How about Biffy Clyro? Everything I've read today tells me i should like them but I'm not sure I'd recognise anything.

Try only revolutions, you might recognise some of the songs on there (mountains, the captain, many of horror). Puzzle is good too, bit less mainstream and heavier (living is a problem)

6 minutes ago, doosrawin said:

Haha I'm with you on the National too, glad I'm not the only one! 

Anderson paak and the free nationals? Relatively high up there, never heard of them.

Moderat also seem to be getting a lot of love, recommendations?

Start with Anderson .Paak's album Malibu, have a look at a couple of his performances on YouTube as well, really good live.

I'd recommend Moderat II. Another group who are great live too.

Edited by huh? what?

2 minutes ago, Waapster said:

This thread will turn to mush if it degenerates into slagging off bands we don't like (which is why I haven't commented on The National). Would be great if we could focus on recommendations. 

Then again, the internet...

I'm not even talking about his music, I actually don't mind some of it. It's just him. His head is so far up his jacksy he can see his tonsils.

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Shall I start?

That's two for you.

in all seriousness I felt like this last year, This year I actually know quite a few. I don't know the national, but I have heard and listened to Father John Misty I think he was also in the Fleet Foxes. 

Re - Where to start with The National.

1. Listen to everything by The National

2.Fall in love with The National

3. Post on eFests about how great The National are

4. Arsenal

5. Go to see The National at Glasto

9. Pablo Honey

Edited by jyoung