Gorillaz

gmb1992

As someone who grew up in Margate when it was on its arse in the 80s and 90s, this blows my mind. I used to work at Dreamland/bembom brothers, and it was all coachloads of drunk london daytrippers having fights. The onky vaguely interesting music was we once booked the Blaggers to play. And now this. Fuck me.

Just now, Mardy said:

As someone who grew up in Margate when it was on its arse in the 80s and 90s, this blows my mind. I used to work at Dreamland/bembom brothers, and it was all coachloads of drunk london daytrippers having fights. The onky vaguely interesting music was we once booked the Blaggers to play. And now this. Fuck me.

The Blaggers? Later known as Blaggers ITA? I loved that stuff when I was a teenager :D

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

This isn't the first. I think they gave it a shot in the arm a couple of years ago, have a look-see.

unnamed(5).jpg

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Grew up in and around there too. Proper shithole. Though I understand they played host to The Stones and that back in the day, so it was good once! Here's something interesting - Dreamland's 'Fun Palace' back in the '60s. As the narrator says, it's the creation of one Keith Albarn. Yep - Damon's dad!

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

The Blaggers? Later known as Blaggers ITA? I loved that stuff when I was a teenager :D

Thats them, yeah. United colours of blaggers ita was a cracking album. We knew them through doing some anti-racism/facism stuff with them

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This isn't the first. I think they gave it a shot in the arm a couple of years ago, have a look-see.

unnamed(5).jpg

Been to that both years. Really good festival. They're moving towards marketing Dreamland as more of an events space, so are currently working on a new venue that will increase capacity to 15,000 (currently it's around 5,000, spread across two spaces). Will be opened for the Gorillaz festival next month

God, the fucking summers i spent at Dreamland cooking chips in a booth called 'just chips'. Big fucking letters, and a revolvng sign. 'JUST CHIPS'. 12 hours a fucking day answering questions 'do you sell burgers? Have you got any chicken?' No mate just chips. 'What about sausages?'. Just chips. 'Not even pies?'.

Eventually i found the answer was 1) playing the mary chain in my little hut and 2) copious quantities of cheap speed from Dave who used to be the brakeman on the scenic railway. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Were you working there when this lot passed through?

CBxOWBcWAAA7BF0.jpg

Indeed i was. possibly the cultural highlight of my teenage years in Margate. Well, either that or Trev & Simon playing the Winter Gardens.

5 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Been to that both years. Really good festival. They're moving towards marketing Dreamland as more of an events space, so are currently working on a new venue that will increase capacity to 15,000 (currently it's around 5,000, spread across two spaces). Will be opened for the Gorillaz festival next month

Yeah its always looked interesting what with the theme park adjacent, but a million miles away from me so an unfortunate no-go. They seem to be getting their worth out of it this year though. I think The Kills and Slaves are headlining single day events there - both of which seem odd but it's pretty bad ass that they're not just being like a normal theme park and putting on like X Factor losers and stuff

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yeah its always looked interesting what with the theme park adjacent, but a million miles away from me so an unfortunate no-go. They seem to be getting their worth out of it this year though. I think The Kills and Slaves are headlining single day events there - both of which seem odd but it's pretty bad ass that they're not just being like a normal theme park and putting on like X Factor losers and stuff

Yeah, I think they were having financial troubles with it being "just" a theme park, so decided to diversify a bit. Seems to be working as I think the festival has been a sell out both years and the Gorillaz thing sold out immediately. They expanded last year, and did a sort of "fringe" festival around the town. People like Emmy the Great played in the Margate Museum, and they had a bunch of acts in the pubs/clubs around town. Was truly excellent. I'll definitely be back!

And it's just stupidly fucking fun going on fairground rides after dark with, like, Jarvis Cocker DJing the dodgems, and then getting to watch bands all night. It'll be interesting to see with the Gorillaz thing how it works as a three stager

2 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Yeah, I think they were having financial troubles with it being "just" a theme park, so decided to diversify a bit. Seems to be working as I think the festival has been a sell out both years and the Gorillaz thing sold out immediately. They expanded last year, and did a sort of "fringe" festival around the town. People like Emmy the Great played in the Margate Museum, and they had a bunch of acts in the pubs/clubs around town. Was truly excellent. I'll definitely be back!

And it's just stupidly fucking fun going on fairground rides after dark with, like, Jarvis Cocker DJing the dodgems, and then getting to watch bands all night. It'll be interesting to see with the Gorillaz thing how it works as a three stager

Where do they put the main stage? The big car park next to the rides?

48 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Where do they put the main stage? The big car park next to the rides?

Nah. The main stage last year was in the actual theme park area. It's the old 'dancehall' that has been there forever but was sort of falling down.

http://m.kentlive.news/dreamland-s-iconic-hall-by-the-sea-reopens-tonight/story-29767472-detail/story.html

The second stage - which was the main stage the first year they ran it - was the 'roller disco' indoors.

Though they're building a new main stage to increase capacity. Not 100% sure where that's going.

Edited by somecoolusername

20 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I think any album that wants a no. 1 now will have to actually attract the people listening to Divide a few times a week. Probably Harry Styles for a couple of weeks.

Kasabian look set to knock Ed off this week apparently.

Edited by Mouseboy11