Gorillaz

gmb1992

23 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Were you working there when this lot passed through?

CBxOWBcWAAA7BF0.jpg

Two of the all-time great lines in one episode:

"It's like sharing a room with Zippy and Bungle!"

And:

"And I lost my dolphin."

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mardy stole Trig's dolphin and is using the remnants to fashion a Left Shark costume for watching Katy Perry in.

That hat that Uncle Albert is wearing appears to be the inspiration for Mick Jones in their last Glastonbury performance

On 09/05/2017 at 5:06 PM, Mardy said:

That hat that Uncle Albert is wearing appears to be the inspiration for Mick Jones in their last Glastonbury performance

This is pretty good for such a maligned performance!

Edited by Homer

I downloaded the full set when I got back and remember it looking a lot more interesting on TV than when I was there. Don't get me wrong, there were parts to love, but the endless turnaround of guests and no real interaction when it happened just knocked the wind out of it.

Plus no Mos/Sweepstakes...

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

I downloaded the full set when I got back and remember it looking a lot more interesting on TV than when I was there. Don't get me wrong, there were parts to love, but the endless turnaround of guests and no real interaction when it happened just knocked the wind out of it.

Plus no Mos/Sweepstakes...

Bah. You're all a load of babies who want someone to ask you if you're alright, occasionally shout "Glaston-berry I can't hear you" and do lots of running around. Great music not good enough for you :P

7 years and this is still a hotly debated topic. That meanz* they must have done something right in my book!

*That z was a typo, but I thought I'd leave it in, given the band :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Bah. You're all a load of babies who want someone to ask you if you're alright, occasionally shout "Glaston-berry I can't hear you" and do lots of running around. Great music not good enough for you :P

7 years and this is still a hotly debated topic. That meanz* they must have done something right in my book!

Here it is if you're feeling brave!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fewcloudy said:

I remember it well, thought they were great. Of course it helps if you already know their songs. Unfortunately, tens of 1000's didn't, as evidenced by the awkward and confused "singalong" for Pirate Jet...

Yeah, this is evidenced when the camera goes on the audience generally! Like yourself, I had a listen first though.

8 hours ago, fewcloudy said:

I remember it well, thought they were great. Of course it helps if you already know their songs. Unfortunately, tens of 1000's didn't, as evidenced by the awkward and confused "singalong" for Pirate Jet...

I had Plastic Beach on repeat as soon as it came out and still didn't know the words.

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Amen to this, it was bloody fantastic! Going to watch it back again later today! 

What are your thoughts on Humanz Stuart?

I hit play and ended up watching the whole thing. Thought it was great bar the leaden third quarter of the set list I (white) flagged above.

we seem to live in a black/white world where everything is either shit or amazing. I stand by my assessment at the time - it was 'pretty good' (3.5/5 maybe). But how anyone can say it was total rubbish and without merit is kind of beyond me.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Amen to this, it was bloody fantastic! Going to watch it back again later today! 

What are your thoughts on Humanz Stuart?

Well, although I know Gorillaz albums can be growers, I stuck Plastic Beach on this morning and Humanz really isn't as good. I know he was going for this futuristic synthetic thing, but I miss the wider sonic pallette of the middle two albums. It's closer to The Fall than Demon Days or Plastic Beach. Somewhat underproduced.

And as for the songwriting? Nothing is jumping out at me. I do love Andromeda and like We've Got The Power and the Mavis Staples song, but after a few listens it just doesn't seem to compare to the previous work.  

I need to listen a lot more before I decide whether I think it's better or worse than the debut, since it took me a long time to get into that record, but right now it's my least favourite Gorillaz album, sadly.

What do you think?

P.S. Songexploder did an episode on Andromeda, really helped me appreciate it.

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Great music not good enough for you :P

It's not, I need it to be a good show as well. I'm not particularly pleased that it tanked, I'm a big fan and was over the moon when they replaced U2.

They should have played Don't Get Lost in Heaven as well.

Humanz is a massive dissapointment to me. I was really looking forward to it as well. It just hasn't really got the tunes or hooks that I'd expect from them. 

Hallelujah Money being the first track to hear was an ominous sign I suppose - there's nothing there. 

Ascension (Vince Staples) and The Apprentice (Rag 'n' Bone Man) are the only two tracks I actually find myself wanting to listen to. They're great, but as a whole it's a bloated mess with too many guest spots on it. Not a patch on Demon Days or Plastic Beach unfortunately.  

Edited by General Lee