Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fewcloudy

  1. I agree with this. Plus... I've queued at Gate A and Gate D in the past, and for the last few years worked Gate D as an Oxfam steward. Some other factors which I think may affect the queuing experience of the two gates are; Gate A is more or less just off the road. Gate D requires a fair uphill yomp from the car parks to get to the gate, (but potentially a shorter walk to then get to your chosen field). It includes a few false summits, increasing the mental as well as the physical fatigue! Gate A queue has almost all the train/coach people. Their loads are smaller by necessity. Gate D I saw preposterous load-carrying that could only have come from a car park. As others have said, the longish walk from car parks up to Gate D is not stewarded. This probably needs looked at. Any water given out on this route would've been only after the long march. For many hours at Gate D there was only one entrance open, and every bag was searched. The queue moved like a snail at this time. Later they opened more entrances and moved to a more random bag search. They then swapped back as the queue disappeared, only to swap again as the queue got huge again. This rather strange reactionary response always seemed to be done with too much time lag. It did mean that depending on what time you joined the back of the queue, your wait in the sun could be quire short or very long.Gate D also used the zigzag lanes, but then changed to a straight path in, then back again, don't ask why. When they made these various changes, the effect on the queue was a bit like traffic jams on a motorway i.e. those at the front of the queue when something happened had a few mins of extra waiting whilst a gate was opened or closed and security set up a few tables for bag searching, but for those much further back the ripple effect through thousands of people was significant. But yeah, same sun same conditions for all I guess, just trying to think of reasons why Gate D 'seemed' worse.
  2. You need to think outside the box mate, although I guess you might be trying to be funny?!
  3. I was working on Gate D this year, started at 5.45am on the Wednesday. Had various different roles over the 8 hours including checking tickets and handing out programmes/lanyards. From about 11am-2pm I was directing people, and for the last few hours was basically not allowing them to collapse exhausted in the obvious place you would want to do exactly that, just after you passed through everything and emerged into Glastonbury proper. Sorry about that if I was nagging you; I vos only obeying orders! Just when I thought I had seen the most distressed and ill-est person, another one would pearl up at the front of the queue! Jesus, there were some severely dehydrated and exhausted people in that queue, and I really felt for them. By the end of the shift I had given away everything I had on me to eat and drink, to people who's need was definitely greater than mine! I had to physically support a few folks who were teetering on the edge of collapse through the silly small turnstiles; some of the loads they were carrying on their backs were extraordinary! I was involved with helping the ambulance through twice for individuals who were fitting due to heat stroke, not a very nice start to your Glastonbury weekend I'd have thought. It's true there was nothing in terms of refreshments waiting for you once you emerged blinking into the festival after the wrist-banding area, however there was a water tap up by the hedges on the right in the 1st field you saw (up where Dairy meets Back House), plus there was lots of water given out. I think people have to take a degree of responsibility for themselves. I'm sure almost everyone in that Gate D queue had expected to be in a queue, and we all knew what the weather forecast was. fc
  4. We were wandering about through the healing fields on Monday around 3pm and found ourselves at the entrance to the stone circle. There was a bit of a party going on in there, a few hundred people altogether, maybe more. All seemed under control, some loud music on, people just lazing around in the sun. We had a chat with security on duty. They had been told not to let anyone else in, that they were trying to clear the area 'peacefully', and that last year there were still people in there refusing to leave on the Wednesday...
  • Create New...