• The Flaming Lips
    • The Xx
    • Kendrick Lamar
    • D'Angelo
    • Emeli Sande
    • Catfish And The Bottlemen
    • Other

27 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Nick Cave's Bad Seeds with this blinder of a set...

1.       Jesus Alone

2.       Jubilee Street

3.       Jack the Ripper

4.       Magneto

5.       I Need You

6.       Red Right Hand

7.       Deanna

8.       Into My Arms

9.       The Mercy Seat

10.   Stagger Lee

11.   There She Goes, My Beautiful World

12.   The Ship Song

O Children

Sorted for me!

14) Pablo Honey 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Just can't see Nick Cave doing big festivals next year. Small halls maybe. 

I can't see him touring at all, though I'd love him to. A show at the Apollo in manchester would be my likely nearest and I'd happily take that setlist with a smattering of other Skeleton Tree tracks plus Push the Sky Away itself (late convert to the Bad Seeds, thanks to that record).

Would it be a surprise to see Noel Gallagher sub Radiohead?

I'd personally love that, and Radiohead are surely one of the few bands he'd feel it's appropriate for him to sub. He'll be touring a new album by next June, and he's made it apparent he'd like to be there. He's also been a bit of an arse about it as well and I'm not sure how great his relationship with the Festival is, but I'd take him over The Xx or Bon Iver any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think the Modfather has been pretty vocal about disliking the Head.  I get the sense that he'd only sub or support acts that he actually respects.

He actually pretty much alternates between expressing his love for them and saying they're shite.

Liam once pointed out that Karma Police rips off the Beatles.

45 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'd personally love that, and Radiohead are surely one of the few bands he'd feel it's appropriate for him to sub. He'll be touring a new album by next June, and he's made it apparent he'd like to be there. He's also been a bit of an arse about it as well and I'm not sure how great his relationship with the Festival is, but I'd take him over The Xx or Bon Iver any day of the week.

A large portion of humble pie for Mr Gallagher coming right up

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

He'll be touring a new album by next June,

will he?

he's only just finished touring and gone back into the studio. it was 3.5 years between his first and second albums (2nd out in Feb 2015), so I certainly wouldn't expect him to be finished another album and have it out and doing festivals by June.

Edited by ghostdancer1

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Kali, I love you.

But are you fucking joking?!

Now, The xx are a rather dull one-trick pony who are fun for about 5 minutes until everyone realises that the Emperor is wearing clothes, but he's only got a pair of mid-calf grey socks on.

Justin Vernon is one of today's genuinely talented dudes. His records are varied and interesting, sometimes immediate and sometimes less penetrable, but always moving forward and encouraging the listener to listen.

Noelly G (essentially) ran out of songs whilst writing Be Here Now (I like it...) and, since he decided that he should sing some of his songs, has peddled out sub-standard, insipid tish that is the worst kind of innocuously inoffensive.

Even to suggest that Noel plays on the same stage as Radiohead is an insult to anyone who gives a shit about music being more than simply lazy, inspiration-void, Heart FM fodder. I don't even dislike Noel, I just hate everything about the mediocracy that his career has become. I don't usually get so animated about this sort of thing (other than when arguing with friends who just know shag all and need a good talking to...), but I'd take SOOO many bands that I hate subbing RH, just to ensure that NG wasn't there to besmirch a truly legendary band playing the best musical event in the world.

So that's all good.

:)

Ben

32 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Kali, I love you.

But are you fucking joking?!

Now, The xx are a rather dull one-trick pony who are fun for about 5 minutes until everyone realises that the Emperor is wearing clothes, but he's only got a pair of mid-calf grey socks on.

Justin Vernon is one of today's genuinely talented dudes. His records are varied and interesting, sometimes immediate and sometimes less penetrable, but always moving forward and encouraging the listener to listen.

Noelly G (essentially) ran out of songs whilst writing Be Here Now (I like it...) and, since he decided that he should sing some of his songs, has peddled out sub-standard, insipid tish that is the worst kind of innocuously inoffensive.

Even to suggest that Noel plays on the same stage as Radiohead is an insult to anyone who gives a shit about music being more than simply lazy, inspiration-void, Heart FM fodder. I don't even dislike Noel, I just hate everything about the mediocracy that his career has become. I don't usually get so animated about this sort of thing (other than when arguing with friends who just know shag all and need a good talking to...), but I'd take SOOO many bands that I hate subbing RH, just to ensure that NG wasn't there to besmirch a truly legendary band playing the best musical event in the world.

So that's all good.

Ben

I've only had a swift listen to NGHFB's, and it isn't bad. At all. I think you're being overly harsh here Benjamin! Who would you suggest/deem great enough to sub, realistically? 

I like your passion :D I feel the same when I hear people say they listen to Heart, Free Radio and Grimmy. Noel is well above that bracket of shit though, even though his songs aren't as top class as they have been in the past!

Edited by Stokesy10

45 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I've only had a swift listen to NGHFB's, and it isn't bad. At all. I think you're being overly harsh here Benjamin! Who would you suggest/deem great enough to sub, realistically? 

I like your passion :D I feel the same when I hear people say they listen to Heart, Free Radio and Grimmy. Noel is well above that bracket of shit though, even though his songs aren't as top class as they have been in the past!

Stokesy, you down-voting little tinker!

It's not about who is great enough. It's about the 'moral' qualification, for me. You must understand, I am about as non-Pyramid as it gets, so I try not to be judgmental about its line-up. In fact, RH are just about the only act I can think of (that could reasonably likely be booked...) that would get me to watch a Pyramid headliner. I'm already agonising about my impending banishment from the über-hipster society of never having seen a Pyramid headliner, when I inevitably watch Thom and the lads in June. No, I am quite comfortable with which acts typically grace that iconic stage. All this talk of Lady Ga Ga? Wouldn't watch her if she was playing in my back garden, but I would be delighted for the festival if she played, as she carries pop credibility and would be a great booking, just in the same way that this year's (for me) vanilla flavoured trio of headliners were an unbelievable festival main stage line-up.

The problem I have with NG is both his self-perception of a musician still producing quality material that matters, and a wide-ranging public support of his ongoing career, both pretty much solely, IMO, as a legacy of past glories and success. Hey, I was at Knebworth (and Murrayfield, Sheffield, Heaton Park etc) and it was amazing. But, and apologies to many friends on these boards, for me it's just like the Stone Roses. Riding on pretty much nothing other than a massive rip-curl of nostalgia. It didn't matter that the Roses' new singles were utter garbage, there'll still be 1000s of bucket-hatted nostalgists who will forgive them that for one last rendition of I Am The Resurrection. For me, listening constantly to new music, there's something a little depressing about how easily pleased we can be, how little the artist has to do to satisfy. I realise I am being an almighty music snob (I never deny that, btw...!), but take one of my favourite ever bands - Sigur Rós. They have meant as much to me as probably any other band in my >40 years of loving music, even to the point of permanently inking that bond on my skin. Do you know what? Since Valtari, and since Kjarten left, they're...not actually very good anymore (in terms of what they now create in their art and, to a degree, their live performances). And that hurts. But I won't be a blind hypocrite and try to convince myself or others that they are incredible just because they previously have been.

It's a toughie.

Anyway, that 's all good!

Ben

Edit: PS - and that you found NGHFB to be "not bad" kind of says it all to me, British vernacular or not!

Edited by bennyhana22