Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

6 minutes ago, ConorC said:

By 'expectations' I meant the expectation of them booking 3 headliners you absolutely love every year. It's not gonna happen.

A festival booking in 2008 didn't get much bigger than Jay Z.

Yep, it was a big deal and there was a lot of hype surrounding it. So much so that I got caught up in it myself and went to see him ahead of massive attack.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a man pretending to be angry and his mate shouting at me for 90 mins, while calling women bitches. It was by far and away the worst headliner I've ever seen, and I saw kanye west, metallica and bruce springsteen. 

If I am paying a vast sum for a ticket, I expect the bookers to do better than that. 

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Yep, it was a big deal and there was a lot of hype surrounding it. So much so that I got caught up in it myself and went to see him ahead of massive attack.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a man pretending to be angry and his mate shouting at me for 90 mins, while calling women bitches. It was by far and away the worst headliner I've ever seen, and I saw kanye west, metallica and bruce springsteen. 

If I am paying a vast sum for a ticket, I expect the bookers to do better than that. 

I had a cracking night, much more than the 66% of your alternatives that I did see.

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Each to their own. Admittedly I wasn't there but the set came across well on TV.

Give me a Jay Z booking over 90% of the headliners that've been booked since. The more they push the boundaries the better as far as I'm concerned.

Who stands at a gig thinking "I wonder how this booking will look in 10 years when people look back at the lineup?" Who cares?

Could have been worse - at least they haven't booked Maddona or Eminem - saw both a couple of years ago and...

I don't pay good money to watch overpaid people MIME and be precocious. 

Crap headliner = A better excuse to head off to the SE corner and get completely wasted.

Glastonbury is not the Pyramid stage....

21 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Could have been worse - at least they haven't booked Maddona or Eminem - saw both a couple of years ago and...

I don't pay good money to watch overpaid people MIME and be precocious. 

Crap headliner = A better excuse to head off to the SE corner and get completely wasted.

Glastonbury is not the Pyramid stage....

no but if the pyramid stage has a shit act then the SE corner will be a lot busier !!

The crowd was much more disappointing than Jay Z, at least he was doing his best, they were lapping it up and acting like it was the best pyramid set ever, which clearly it wasn't, I felt ashamed of them, it's my worst Glastonbury memory.
Charm x

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

I had a great time. One of the best headliners I've seen on The Pyramid. So from my point of view, the bookers got it right. 

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

but why did you stay for 90 minutes??

10 hours ago, The Nal said:

Ha true. Although the 07 and 08 lineups had a lot to do with it. Headliners including Kings of Leon, The Verve, Jay-Z, Panic at the Disco, The Cribs, Pete Doherty.

The Pyramid lineup on Friday 08 must be the worst day in Glasto history surely? 

Very odd. I have absolutely no recollection what I watched on the Friday. And I had the kids with me that year, so I wouldn't have been fucko'd. Gash line up. 

RE: mud in 2007. That was my first year taking the Wofflings and I can't recall them whinging about the mud once. We just sort of got on with it. 

10 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Very odd. I have absolutely no recollection what I watched on the Friday. And I had the kids with me that year, so I wouldn't have been fucko'd. Gash line up. 

RE: mud in 2007. That was my first year taking the Wofflings and I can't recall them whinging about the mud once. We just sort of got on with it. 

I quite liked The Feeling.  Thought they were a bit nervous though.

12 hours ago, The Nal said:

Ha true. Although the 07 and 08 lineups had a lot to do with it. Headliners including Kings of Leon, The Verve, Jay-Z, Panic at the Disco, The Cribs, Pete Doherty.

The Pyramid lineup on Friday 08 must be the worst day in Glasto history surely? 

Can I just say for the record ,  I went to see The Verve on the Sunday night quite by accident,  but they were fucking a. 

Edited by mooro

17 hours ago, Charm said:

The crowd was much more disappointing than Jay Z, at least he was doing his best, they were lapping it up and acting like it was the best pyramid set ever, which clearly it wasn't, I felt ashamed of them, it's my worst Glastonbury memory.
Charm x

Ha ha,  that's your worst memory? 

Are you OK or just being overly dramatic for effect ? 

27 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Ha ha,  that's your worst memory? 

Are you OK or just being overly dramatic for effect ? 

No worst memory of the festival, was a low point, the only time I can remember feeling disappointed at Glastonbury. 
Charm x

12 minutes ago, Charm said:

No worst memory of the festival, was a low point, the only time I can remember feeling disappointed at Glastonbury. 
Charm x

Still can't work out whether you're joking or not, so to clarify, you were ashamed of people who were enjoying themselves?!

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Still can't work out whether you're joking or not, so to clarify, you were ashamed of people who were enjoying themselves?!

I always thought of the Glastonbury crowd as being being something special, able to recognise and appreciate real talent, but that day I realised they will love any old rubbish. 
Charm x