Daft Punk

eFestivals

Oh my, that would be one of my ultimates.

Maybe history will repeat and Coachella stumps up money for them to headline which leads to a tour.

Seems like a long shot, but with the ten year cycle it could happen. Glastonbury would be mad not to go after them if they're active for other festivals.

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It'd be difficult to argue with Daft Punk, Ed Sheeran and Radiohead as a headlining triumvirate.  Something for everyone, more or less.

I'm thinking that if there's any truth the DP thing, it will be instead of Ed Sheeran rather than instead of (from the current rumours) Stone Roses.

Just my musing about it, tho.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

have you heard something about SR being there?

Yup.

And either it's a true repeat from the gob of Michael, or matey was making it up cos he was rat-arsed and having a bit of fun at efests expense.

Of course, even if it's a true repeat from the gob of Michael it doesn't mean it's right ... tho in this case it probably is, or at least right at the time with what was expected to happen.

2 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Imagine booking the Stone Roses over Ed Sheeran in 2016.

If Sheeran isn't up for it, then they'd have to book someone else "over" him. That part of things doesn't change.

And if a band who they've been trying to get for 20+ years has offered to play, why would they knock them back?

A bit like politics, booking bands is the art of the possible.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

If Sheeran isn't up for it, then they'd have to book someone else "over" him. That part of things doesn't change.

And if a band who they've been trying to get for 20+ years has offered to play, why would they knock them back?

I know it's early but what would your stab in the dark be 

If Daft Punk are headlining then I think it'll be the Roses that are missing out of our current three proposed headliners. Only reason I thought they were likely was because there didn't seem to be many other realistic options (not that Daft Punk seem at all realistic until they announce something) but the Roses doing every other festival (twice over) and not Glastonbury yet might mean they're just not arsed about it at all

Either way, nice to have something new to get our heads around. Hope it's true. Would be insane 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've never got the impression that he's been anything other than 100% up for it though. Of course it's entirely possible he could be waiting until after the fallow year but I can't see why, personally. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If Daft Punk are headlining then I think it'll be the Roses that are missing out of our current three proposed headliners. Only reason I thought they were likely was because there didn't seem to be many other realistic options (not that Daft Punk seem at all realistic until they announce something) but the Roses doing every other festival (twice over) and not Glastonbury yet might mean they're just not arsed about it at all

Either way, nice to have something new to get our heads around. Hope it's true. Would be insane 

They are writing new music though and this year was their 2nd comeback year, there is nothing to say they are doing every other festival twice, they did T in the UK and that was it, plus Marlay in Dublin and their own shows and none of them got new material as far as I'm aware.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

but the Roses doing every other festival (twice over) and not Glastonbury yet might mean they're just not arsed about it at all

I think there's been an element of that, because there's been big cash on offer from other places.

But, i'd say, they've cashed that in now, and the release of new tunes sort-of puts them back into the normal-working-band thing, where playing Glastonbury would be one of the major considerations a year after playing the better-paying fests.

I'd guess where things really lie is with how much they want to be a working band. It might be that they're happy to do a bit of occasional well-paid work on a semi-retired basis and nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I've never got the impression that he's been anything other than 100% up for it though. Of course it's entirely possible he could be waiting until after the fallow year but I can't see why, personally. 

Is Glasto defo off in 2018 or did they change their mind and delay it again for 19?

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

There is the aforementioned stuff about wanting to do it, but also wanting to wait until he's got more albums under his belt.  

It'll happen sooner or later, though.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think there's been an element of that, because there's been big cash on offer from other places.

But, i'd say, they've cashed that in now, and the release of new tunes sort-of puts them back into the normal-working-band thing, where playing Glastonbury would be one of the major considerations a year after playing the better-paying fests.

I'd guess where things really lie is with how much they want to be a working band. It might be that they're happy to do a bit of occasional well-paid work on a semi-retired basis and nothing more.

If they are promoting new music and are thinking next year as their final stage for this appearance then Glasto is as good as any for them to play, they can still cash in other shows too. I defo feel it's next year or never for them though.

I hope this rumor is true

I will be there dancing my boooty off. 

I they have managed to get Daft Punk it would really shut up all the nay Sayers who say it's  the same old people playing year after year.  Then again the dark side of me says rumors about get acts are starting just the month before tickets go on sale and after a wet year where the line up was panned ( I panned cold play, I went and watched Cold play, I shouldn't have panned cold play) tickets sales may be on the mind