Backdoor link to booking page?

MadScientist

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

That year where someone (maybe @parsonjack?)  identified a url for a device which had no traffic was great too. 

What can they beat the normal punters at BTW ? 

Maybe not me but that sounds like the year that someone at See made an error (?) in the DNS set up so that no requests were being directed to a particular load balancer IP.  A simple host file hack enabled requests to go to a virtually unused server and folks cleaned up until it got spotted by See and closed down.

It's all as tight as a ducks chuff these days....although I do keep,an eye on the set up for any changes that could potentially be exploited.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, incident said:

They probably should have configured their DNS correctly then, and it wouldn't be an issue.

he reckoned i should have phoned them up and told them the fix (i said i couldn't get thru on the phones, was busy 😛 

Lucky they didn't cancel all the transactions made via the unused server tbh. I think someone just did a lookup for all the A records for that zone and found the offline server or something. One year they just published all the wrong ip's in their dns or something and someone knew what all the active ones were and posted them on here.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Lucky they didn't cancel all the transactions made via the unused server tbh. I think someone just did a lookup for all the A records for that zone and found the offline server or something. One year they just published all the wrong ip's in their dns or something and someone knew what all the active ones were and posted them on here.

Would they have been able to though? People would have gotten official confirmation emails from See, booking references, the money taken etc. 

My favourite was being able to adjust some script in the deposit payment window that made it possible to pay in full instead. I'll not go into details but thanks to an efestivals user tickets were sorted! One of the lesser known hacks that happen

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Would they have been able to though? People would have gotten official confirmation emails from See, booking references, the money taken etc. 

Technically? Yes, easily. They could identify transactions made through that server in a given time range.

Legally? Yes, easily. They could class it as Unauthorised Access under the Computer Misuse Act.

PR wise? Probably not, it'd be a nightmare both in terms of press coverage and also piss off thousands of their customers.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Legally? Yes, easily. They could class it as Unauthorised Access under the Computer Misuse Act.

Not sure I'd want to risk the cost of legal assistance to fight it but See might be on questionable ground to go with the 'unauthorised access' angle given it was their error that left the door open. 

It's a bit like an insurance company refusing to pay out on your nicked telly when it was yourself who left the back door unlocked I guess. 

29 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Not sure I'd want to risk the cost of legal assistance to fight it but See might be on questionable ground to go with the 'unauthorised access' angle given it was their error that left the door open. 

It's a bit like an insurance company refusing to pay out on your nicked telly when it was yourself who left the back door unlocked I guess. 

The police would still issue a crime number in those circumstances, though, and in the unlikely event the person was caught they'd still be liable for prosecution.

See absolutely could have cancelled those transactions if they felt it appropriate, for any one of a variety of reasons, and any attempt to sue them over it would have been laughed out of court.

Though of course that was never likely to happen as See would then be left with however many thousand tickets needed shifting (so another sale needed?), they'd also piss all those people off, and would get a load of bad press including much wider knowledge of the fact that effectively they couldn't sort their own shit out.