2017 Ticket Sale

mufcok

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Just had to remove the weeks holiday I had 'reserved' on the works holiday chart, in the case I was successful yesterday. 

Devastating. Somebody please hold me. :(

No, don't do that!! NEVER give up hope, well maybe not till middle of May after the last final, no really there are no more, secret resale. Plus you really want to be getting ready for work on that wednesday morning? Or would you rather be on that last minute holiday you planned, just in case, to somewhere away from all TV's, papers etc? You could be waking up in some beautiful valley, in your tent, overlooking some cliffs, the sea, somewhere in Scotland maybe, or Wales, the valleys, or the west country (no don't go there it'll be too painful and besides there's a mothering great big festival there that time of year, no don't ask about it, it'll hurt too much), the point is IF you fail to get tickets, and there are still at least 3 further chances, the one place you never want to be is sitting where you are now on that Wednesday.

I feel your pain though.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I thought that refreshinator thing was tested in the coach sale and seen not to work? I've no idea about it though.

Sad to see there was a computer hack that allowed people to get tickets though. That's a real kick in the teeth if you didnt get one through fair means, I'm sure. But I suppose if I knew how to do it, I'd do it.

From what I've read, I don't think it did work.

But that won't have stopped people trying it, and it seems likely that they'll have had a cumulative negative effect on the system.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Did you get fixed up? Can't have you missing Radiohead's return.

Yes mate, thank the gods. Thanks for asking. I hope you will also be there?

2 minutes ago, incident said:

From what I've read, I don't think it did work.

But that won't have stopped people trying it, and it seems likely that they'll have had a cumulative negative effect on the system.

Fair dos. That app maker must have made a fortune, the tosser.

First time in 5 years of trying I made it through myself and bought some tickets. Bittersweet, got 5 for one group but ultimately meant only 5/17 of us going next year with 12 missing out.

Still, better than 0/17.

Got through on phone on 4G via Chrome, laptop and ipad never made it to landing page. 

I will be on hand to help out people in the re-sale.

I saw the white screen of death for the first 20 minutes, my other half had the same issue as did someone else who isn't a festival goer we had trying for us. The site seemed slower, the countdown didn't countdown but the page did refresh. The only browser that worked was IE. 

Thankfully - the kind hearten people on this forum made sure I had a ticket! And I will be forever grateful! 

Up until Thursday night I was pretty adamant I wasn't going next year after having a pretty rubbish time last year due to having a reaction to the amount of hay and straw that was put down.  I just couldn't NOT go though

Worked a night shift Saturday night and stayed at the hospital to try on my computer there as I wouldn't chance the few junctions on the motorway in case I got stuck in traffic getting home... at 8am... on a Sunday morning!

Not a sniff on my computer at work but one of our group got through in another part of the country.  (Liverpool in case those convinced the festival is made up of scousers were wondering!).  As he confirmed payment for us all a page opened on my phone so I managed to keep my 'Digi is getting free booze from Tevaburger' record going.  Gutted I couldn't get back in again after hearing a few minutes later of a few efesters having no luck.  Always feel slightly deflated every year reading who wasn't successful

36 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It didn't work as they'd modified the holding page. However people trying to use it would still have caused traffic to the servers thus making them less responsive to everyone else. That's how I understand it anyway. 

wasnt there something about changing IP addresses that let you in the back door though? Sure I saw that posted.

I ran network traces for the coach sales and set the host file on one of my laptops up with the IP-Addresses returned and had the DR server in as an alternative IP by 09:20 Sunday.

On Sunday I had a mac using opera, two laptops with chrome (one with modified hosts file), a PC with firefox & another with edge, and another VPN'd into work and my tablet on EE 4G and didn't get a sniff so being IT savvy was no help at all.

All I got was either the holding page or "site not responding" from any device on Virginmedia ISP - the one at work sat at the holding page for the full hour but wouldn't go any further but was at least stable. The page wouldn't even load on the tablet.

I also had 6 friends trying separately (most on Virginmedia) and none of them could get the holding page to reliably refresh.

This year smacks of the same fiasco Seetickets had a couple of years ago where their load balancer & IPS wasn't configured correctly and it saw several IP ranges as a DDOS attack and chopped the connections from under them. I've got a httptrace on one PC I have to look through to see if anything else is obvious but it may take a while as it' huge.

Problem with the April resale is getting a CV ticket & with a bad back roughing it in a tent isn't an option.

47 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

I ran network traces for the coach sales and set the host file on one of my laptops up with the IP-Addresses returned and had the DR server in as an alternative IP by 09:20 Sunday.

On Sunday I had a mac using opera, two laptops with chrome (one with modified hosts file), a PC with firefox & another with edge, and another VPN'd into work and my tablet on EE 4G and didn't get a sniff so being IT savvy was no help at all.

All I got was either the holding page or "site not responding" from any device on Virginmedia ISP - the one at work sat at the holding page for the full hour but wouldn't go any further but was at least stable. The page wouldn't even load on the tablet.

I also had 6 friends trying separately (most on Virginmedia) and none of them could get the holding page to reliably refresh.

This year smacks of the same fiasco Seetickets had a couple of years ago where their load balancer & IPS wasn't configured correctly and it saw several IP ranges as a DDOS attack and chopped the connections from under them. I've got a httptrace on one PC I have to look through to see if anything else is obvious but it may take a while as it' huge.

Problem with the April resale is getting a CV ticket & with a bad back roughing it in a tent isn't an option.

In a way I'm pleased it wasn't just me who failed spectacularly! Sorry..

As an aside my tablet wouldn't load at all. My laptop and Mac just had some message about see tickets being down . My phone using 4g got to the holding but there it stayed for the duration of the sale. 

I had various friends also trying. Couple on Sky, one on virgin media and I was using BT but all with the same result.. bugger all!!

Congrats to everyone who were lucky and commiserations to the unsuccessful.

Me and my lot were lucky thank gawd, from experience we never take it for granted, missing out is a horrible feeling for sure.

Interestingly, while I had seven chrome pages refreshing frantically on a reasonably fast laptop, my 11 year old daughter had one page open on her budget laptop which she was refreshing whenever she felt like it and she got through and I got nowhere!

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I have no idea how people manage to check threads on here while still frantically refreshing. I used to try but no way could I keep up with the threads. Don't even try and load the site now. 

Same as, i did try for a bit but then lost my "F5" train of thought and gave up......efests wouldn't load up for me either at that point!

I was checking on here between refreshes that were taking a bit of time. I also had to reboot my two routers in the house twice! My ISP is poor and was only getting speeds of around 700Kbps, so if I managed to snag tickets there is hope for everyone!

Edited by chrismcb

Just thinking ahead to when tickets get dispatched...

I purchased 3 tickets on Sunday - one each for me and my mate and the other for someone else who is going with another group who I don't actually know.

Will all 3 tickets get sent to one address? and if so which one? The screenshot below says if I ordered more than one ticket then they'll all be sent to the "address provided for the first name on your booking"... I was the lead booker as I had to put my card details but the person who appears top on the confirmation email is my mate, so when they say first name do they mean lead booker?

Also, when it says "if you paid your balances separately, you will each receive your own ticket"... does that mean if we pay the rest of our balances off separately in April they will be sent to individual addresses?

Basically just wanting to know whether they'll all arrive to my address and if I'll have to send this other guy's ticket on in the post.

Cheers.

Screenshot_356.png

15 minutes ago, AM91 said:

Just thinking ahead to when tickets get dispatched...

I purchased 3 tickets on Sunday - one each for me and my mate and the other for someone else who is going with another group who I don't actually know.

Will all 3 tickets get sent to one address? and if so which one? The screenshot below says if I ordered more than one ticket then they'll all be sent to the "address provided for the first name on your booking"... I was the lead booker as I had to put my card details but the person who appears top on the confirmation email is my mate, so when they say first name do they mean lead booker?

Also, when it says "if you paid your balances separately, you will each receive your own ticket"... does that mean if we pay the rest of our balances off separately in April they will be sent to individual addresses?

Basically just wanting to know whether they'll all arrive to my address and if I'll have to send this other guy's ticket on in the post.

Cheers.

Screenshot_356.png

As long as the other guy pays his balance himself, then his ticket will get sent to his address.  

19 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

Do we know what made the server crash or?

Personally I don't think was any crash although, as usual, the system struggled with demand and some people possibly were dealt a cookie which then generated the ' white screen' reported by some.  Not seen any confirmation but I'm pretty sure restarting the browser would have fixed this.  Other than this it seems to have gone much as in previous years.

As far as the Host file hack goes this didn't work for the coach sale, and I'm therefore very surprised it worked for the main sale.  Ensuring it doesn't work most likely involves See taking the DR system offline so that any requests directed to it (via the Host file edit) simply get dropped.  Under normal circumstances the DR system is usually available, so unless See had reason to leave it online (perhaps they anticipated an issue and needing to failure to DR...?) I'm guessing someone screwed up.  Directing all Customers to DR automatically would require a DNS change by See, which didn't happen throughout the sale as all lookup requests were returning only the usual 3 x 194.X.X.X IP's.  Pretty certain therefore that no-one got directed to DR unless they made the Host hack.