2017 Ticket Sale

mufcok

On 09/10/2016 at 10:56 AM, musky said:
On 09/10/2016 at 10:13 AM, wetwipes said:

No luck.  For me, I kept losing the holding page (and was never sure whether it was refreshing or not).

Early on, rolled over to  http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/event/glastonbury-2017-deposits/worthy-farm-pilton-somerset/1100000  but all I saw was a white page with a red-lined box.

Later on, the holding site was rolling over onto glastonburyfestivals.co.uk  WTaF???????

It looks like 2 of our 3 groups got theirs though

My phone did that on Thursday. I just assumed I'd accidentally clicked on the Glastonbury logo which points to the festival site (easily done on a phone). Don't suppose you were using a mouse to refresh and could have clicked the logo?

Thanks, Musky (ran out of upvotes today).  First of all, I tested your theory - yes, if you accidentally click on the "banner" of the holding page, you link to glastonburyfestivals.co.uk!!!!  This is, in my opinion, RIDICULOUS!!  It IS possible that I clicked on the logo to refresh, BUT two refreshed tabs, side by side, (yeah, I know)  one after the other rolled over onto the glastonbury festival site at about 9.43 so I think it was some weird glitch in the system - it was so enheartening to see that change in lettering only to go "WTF?"

I had the same experience as for trying in the coach sale - saw holding page but with no countdown, making it almost impossible to judge when refresh had finished, and when to try refreshing again.  What held the holding page for me was firefox, although I lost it sometimes, and it appeared occasionally with Chrome launches, but I don't think I ever saw it when launching Safari.  Someone mentioned after the coach sale (I was unsuccessful there too) that they thought the holding page without countdown was just an "image" of the holding page.  Did anybody actually manage to get though to the booking page by refreshing a holding page that didn't have a countdown?  Or was I wasting my time with occasional refreshes of that page altogether?    It was a nightmare.  I would have happily stuck with one browser, one tab, if I'd had a stable holding page with countdown, but ended up launching browsers and tabs all over the place.  :-(

Holding screen 2017.jpg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, wetwipes said:

Thanks, Musky (ran out of upvotes today).  First of all, I tested your theory - yes, if you accidentally click on the "banner" of the holding page, you link to glastonburyfestivals.co.uk!!!!  This is, in my opinion, RIDICULOUS!!  It IS possible that I clicked on the logo to refresh, BUT two refreshed tabs, side by side, (yeah, I know)  one after the other rolled over onto the glastonbury festival site at about 9.43 so I think it was some weird glitch in the system - it was so enheartening to see that change in lettering only to go "WTF?"

I had the same experience as for trying in the coach sale - saw holding page but with no countdown, making it almost impossible to judge when refresh had finished, and when to try refreshing again.  What held the holding page for me was firefox, although I lost it sometimes, and it appeared occasionally with Chrome launches, but I don't think I ever saw it when launching Safari.  Someone mentioned after the coach sale (I was unsuccessful there too) that they thought the holding page without countdown was just an "image" of the holding page.  Did anybody actually manage to get though to the booking page by refreshing a holding page that didn't have a countdown?  Or was I wasting my time with occasional refreshes of that page altogether?    It was a nightmare.  I would have happily stuck with one browser, one tab, if I'd had a stable holding page with countdown, but ended up launching browsers and tabs all over the place.  :-(

Holding screen 2017.jpg

I did on Sunday, and it seems many others did too. I think I've only seen one report of a holding page with a countdown. The image seems to have been put up there to defeat Refreshinator, which was looking for a change of text - with no text there was nothing for it to search. :)

12 minutes ago, danegg said:

I didn't even manage to get to the holding page this year, just a lot of white screen. Any tips on how to improve my chance next time.. or do we think it's pure luck?

I'm already nervous for the resale. 

Honestly think it's pure luck. I tried same method I used to get friends coach sale tickets and failed to get my own Sunday. It's the luck of the draw 

@musky That's great you got a ticket.  I should have just stuck with refreshing that page then, but when each refresh was just  "connecting....."  to something so slowly, and I was shuffling between different browsers for refreshing, that I was utterly confused as to whether anything was really happening.  I understand the logic now, but it would have been nice if they had written "you will not see a countdown" to reassure those of us who are  "completely-panicked if it doesn't look like last year's" types!

1 hour ago, Lucy92 said:

Honestly think it's pure luck. I tried same method I used to get friends coach sale tickets and failed to get my own Sunday. It's the luck of the draw 

This.

On Thursday I managed to get through within 6 minutes of the sale, on Sunday I was trying for my sister and her boyfriend and got nothing but a white screen. Same laptop, same internet connection. 

3 minutes ago, wetwipes said:

@musky eep realised that because you got onto the booking page doesn't mean you got your ticket.  Sorry about that.  Can't find see any obvious way of editing previous post.

I did manage to secure tickets this year, so it's all good on that front.

I had three browsers on the go, 2 auto refreshing every 20 seconds and the third manually refreshing, with a mobile as well. The mobile just white screened so I forgot about that pretty quickly, the 2 auto refreshing got the holding page and no further and it was the one I was manually refreshing that got me in. I kept on trying to see if I could secure tickets for others, but that was the last I saw of the registration page.

It was frustrating enough when I actually got tickets, it must have been a hundred times more so if you didn't.

1 hour ago, danegg said:

I didn't even manage to get to the holding page this year, just a lot of white screen. Any tips on how to improve my chance next time.. or do we think it's pure luck?

I'm already nervous for the resale. 

I got nothing but white screen via my broadband, but managed to get to the ticket page on a second PC tethered to the very dodgy 3G signal here. Worth trying that if you've got a spare device and a data signal.

C.

Yep - that's true and didn't think of that. Many sites are set up with some sort of host header translation so that they can host many sites on one IP bound to the webserver. That plus the likelihood that a reputation filter and maybe a load balancer too (as suggested above earlier) might not like an IP in the URL, makes this a poor idea really, so better to stick to modifying the hosts file.

Just now, Pinhead said:

Yep - that's true and didn't think of that. Many sites are set up with some sort of host header translation so that they can host many sites on one IP bound to the webserver. That plus the likelihood that a reputation filter and maybe a load balancer too (as suggested above earlier) might not like an IP in the URL, makes this a poor idea really, so better to stick to modifying the hosts file.

the hosts file hack is guaranteed to work - and I couldn't be bothered to try it at the point someone posted about it - but if i'd thought of trying the IP address instead I would have done, as that avoids the hassle of changing the hosts file.

It's one to remember for the future, as it would save several minutes of messing about with the hosts file with only a few seconds wasted if using the IP address doesn't work.

Phones or phones tethered to laptops was the way to go at least this year anyway I think. That's what I'll focus more strongly on next time anyway (though it could be an entirely different system in two years time I guess). Difficult to edit a hosts file directly on a phone however, so might lead towards tethering.

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread ( its a long one ) but when I had the holding page the counter was stuck on 20 and not counting down. I was afraid that nothing was happening and thinking of starting again when I suddenly got the booking page. Close thing. Was this the same for everyone?

2 minutes ago, danegg said:

I think nearer April I may need someone to explain this whole host hacking business to me in detalil. i've had a little google and trawled through here and am still none the wiser.

And there was me thinking I was good with technology.

Unless you know what you are doing its best left alone. I wasted 15 valuable minutes the year this first worked. For the non-tekkies its better to hammer F5.

9 minutes ago, baggienick68 said:

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread ( its a long one ) but when I had the holding page the counter was stuck on 20 and not counting down. I was afraid that nothing was happening and thinking of starting again when I suddenly got the booking page. Close thing. Was this the same for everyone?

They used a picture for the holding page this year, probably to ensure that Refreshinator was ineffective. It searched for text on the page to recognise that it had changed- with no text it couldn't work. 

I tried the hosts change after I got tickets but didnt have much time as they sold out soon after. If you had two laptops you could try the hosts change on one of them and leave the other as is. If see ended up changing anything you could end up getting nowhere then with the hosts change and wasting your time.

First time in 2 years if seen the booking page.and it came up on the laptop and mobile at same time.nearly wet myself .used good old fashioned f5 on laptop( bt finity bb) and just refresh on bt 4g mobile.shaking like a leaf initially put card expiry date in wrong on drop down .came up invalid card obviously and thought i was screwed.corrected and hit retry any got confirmation page after agonising minutes wait .v lucky . I'm convinced it's nothing more than chance the whole thing .

47 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Am I mis-understanding this or do you mean it's not guaranteed to work?

i guess you've misunderstood.

I was meaning that if that 'hole' in See's system is open, then the hosts file hack is guaranteed to work with that hole, while using the IP address instead of hacking the hosts file is not.

Whether just the IP address works or not is down to the webserver configuration (I've no idea  what the webserver config is, so don't know if just the IP address would work), for whether that webserver defaults to the correct domain to then cause everything else to work.

For example, efests uses the IP address 194.116.175.220, but you cannot access efests by replacing the 'www.efestivals.co.uk' part of the address with the IP address, because the webserver set-up doesn't allow it. I could change it if I wanted so that it did work, but there's really no point in me doing so.

48 minutes ago, musky said:

They used a picture for the holding page this year, probably to ensure that Refreshinator was ineffective. It searched for text on the page to recognise that it had changed- with no text it couldn't work. 

Cheers Musky. It nearly cost me a ticket! See you on the farm.