Booking "luxury accommodation" at Worthy View

glastogirl88

why the verbal abuse and assumptions about people on WF? Do these have any evidence base as a foundation? I'm a bit naive on this as its not an area of the festival that I have any experience of.

Ive gone for the cheapest option at TF for health reasons, I intend to spend as minimal time as possible in TF...in general I really don't like the pyramid for headliners - people seem to be ruthless pushing and shoving each other and a mass crush on the way out. Unless it's some spectacular I'll be elsewhere and getting in to the naughty corner early on!

Ive camped in bushy ground and park area - both times surrounded by young kids who leave the site like a shit tip during and after the festival - tents placed practically on top of each etc.

i have no idea if TF will make that part of the festival a little easier, but thought it's worth a shot having car near to a set up tent and being able to get up early for a shower to set me up for the day.

if those things don't matter to someone then fair play to you! I'm getting older and like a little comfort these days!

I've not stayed in my tent beyond 8am, normally it's too light/warm and I can sleep after the festival when I get home.

I'd rather chill out at greenfields in the morning with a smoothie than off site. 

just to challenge a few stereotypes posted here :)

Edited by louise2014

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, louise2014 said:

why the verbal abuse and assumptions about people on WF? Do these have any evidence base as a foundation? I'm a bit naive on this as its not an area of the festival that I have any experience of.

Ive gone for the cheapest option at TF for health reasons, I intend to spend as minimal time as possible in TF...in general I really don't like the pyramid for headliners - people seem to be ruthless pushing and shoving each other and a mass crush on the way out. Unless it's some spectacular I'll be elsewhere and getting in to the naughty corner early on!

Ive camped in bushy ground and park area - both times surrounded by young kids who leave the site like a shit tip during and after the festival - tents placed practically on top of each etc.

i have no idea if TF will make that part of the festival a little easier, but thought it's worth a shot having car near to a set up tent and being able to get up early for a shower to set me up for the day.

if those things don't matter to someone then fair play to you! I'm getting older and like a little comfort these days!

I've not stayed in my tent beyond 8am, normally it's too light/warm and I can sleep after the festival when I get home.

I'd rather chill out at greenfields in the morning with a smoothie than off site. 

just to challenge a few stereotypes posted here :)

You'll get used to Russy. He feels passionately about certain things...

1 minute ago, Untz said:

If I had an espresso martini I'd be running laps around the site. On the fence. Wall of death style.

Fuck me I know what I'm bringing this year. That's bound to be more entertaining than some of the acts.

Not a caffeine person I take it?

For those people who want to stay in Worthy View because of the hassle of lugging a tent around, there is another way. 

Take a smaller tent.

I have managed to convince myself most years that I've needed loads of space, standing headroom etc. This year this meant I lugged a 24kg tent through the mud to get off site. Lovely big Coleman for the two of us. 20 minutes to put it up, same to put it away and it never goes back into the bag, right? 

A few weeks later I did Latitude in a small Decathlon (Fresh and Black) pop-up. Weighs 3kg, carry it with one hand, up in under a minute and away in less than two minutes. Frankly it did everything any other tent does because when I'm up I'm out.

I cannot contemplate being at Glastonbury and leaving through a gate each night. We have camped near some tossers at times but *every year* we have also stayed alongside truly great people. Being on top of each other, chatting, sharing stuff, makes the festival great. Those sterile rows of PodPads look horrible, people sitting around pallet tables look as happy as I feel at a works party when "fun" is provided for us. And it was odd sitting at Strummerville late morning with bloody maries watching people come in to Glastonbury.

If you are queuing for the showers at WV, you might as well use Greenpeace and go to the tea tent while you wait. They have food and a bar? Well...

I just don't get it.

Horse for courses isn't it, I don't think people staying in Worthy View, or in the campervan fields view it as leaving Glastonbury through a gate each night. It's still all part of the Glastonbury experience, I'm sure it's fun and exciting for people to pitch their campers up on a Tuesday night and to be at Glastonbury and nice for them to back tonit at night, if that what they want.

14 hours ago, Stretlow said:

...if these people are spending some of their day in and around these places and not in the festival then of course i'm firmly with you, you have to question why the fuck they have bothered. Those tickets could quite easily be in better hands...

And which omniscient being decides what are 'better hands'?  You? You and your mates?

They paid their money, they can do whatever the fuck they want to. Stay offsite for as long as they want. What are we talking about, a few hundred/a few thousand people out of 130000+. How's that going to change the character of the festival?

Edited by fewcloudy

1 minute ago, fewcloudy said:

Which omniscient being decides what are 'better hands'?  You? You and your mates?

They paid their money, they can do whatever the fuck they want to. Stay offsite for as long as they want. What are we talking about, a few hundred/a few thousand people out of 130000+. How's that going to change the character of the festival?

But it's not really the case that those tickets could be in "better hands" whatever they are anyway. All the offsite glamping places get an allocation of tickets (or at least the ones that the festival need to keep onside do) they may not publicise it (because they festival don't allow them too) but they do. This enables them to sell their accommodation packages and keeps them happy. If these tickets didn't go to these land owners and went elsewhere, these landowners wouldn't play ball, the festival either wouldn't happen or tickets would be twice the price, it's not doing any "better hands" out of tickets.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But it's not really the case that those tickets could be in "better hands" whatever they are anyway. All the offsite glamping places get an allocation of tickets (or at least the ones that the festival need to keep onside do) they may not publicise it (because they festival don't allow them too) but they do. This enables them to sell their accommodation packages and keeps them happy. If these tickets didn't go to these land owners and went elsewhere, these landowners wouldn't play ball, the festival either wouldn't happen or tickets would be twice the price, it's not doing any "better hands" out of tickets.

I don't buy that. The landowners are out to get as much money as they can. Their greed is predicated on the amount of loot sloshing about.

You think their objections are genuinely about real issues with the festival, or a cynical attempt to maximise their profits?

I'd not heard that they weren't allowed to advertise their ticket allocations - winding lake/flyglastonbury has been advertising their tickets for years.

15 hours ago, russycarps said:

Worthy view is full of people casting envious glances towards this ultra posh campsite.

You could make a water tight case that that makes them even more wretched c**ts than little Lord fauntleroy and his pals.

You could make an equally convincing case that the killjoys on-site who whine about others paying slightly extra (comparatively) to stay at WV, are the bringers of division and are truly biggest c**ts of all.

Edited by kalifire
I know, I know. I shouldn't bother.

55 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They are advertised on their website but you wouldn't really know unless you were looking. I wouldn't have heard of them if it weren't for these boards for example. 

Oh sure, they're low key in offering tickets, but they're still on offer. What I was trying to get at is that I doubt most of these places selling accommodation also have tickets for sale 'under the counter'. If they have tickets to sell, surely it was say so somewhere on their web sites? As far as I know, it's only Winding Lake. There may be others, but I've not had the impression It's widespread.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I've wondered before if I won the lottery - and then was unsuccesful in October and April - would it be possible to get one of the rip off tickets with a posh tent but then rock up Wednesday with your normal gear and take it all into the festival and camp as normal - returning only to pick up your car on Monday. 

Probably would be, I reckon.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I've wondered before if I won the lottery - and then was unsuccesful in October and April - would it be possible to get one of the rip off tickets with a posh tent but then rock up Wednesday with your normal gear and take it all into the festival and camp as normal - returning only to pick up your car on Monday. 

Or the opposite....stay there, trash the place, and they all say 'oooh I'm going back to Pennards, much more civilised!'