Will you be returning next year?

PurpleFire

Will you return to Glastonbury Festival in 2017  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Will you return to Glastonbury Festival (Tickets Aside) in 2017?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

That's the worst I've seen it. In 2011 there was monumental rain Wednesday & Friday, so it got muddy, but by Sunday it had been dry & hot long enough to be a hard spongey layer of mud & wearing trainers was fine again so it was a dry ish year too.

2013, 14 & 15 I didn't even bother taking wellies & have been relatively mud free so perhaps I've just been spoilt 

I won't believe it until I've seen it with my own eyes but it seems like there is hope. 

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 was a heatwave and it was rediculously hot. I would say that last years weather was perfect - a bit of rain on Friday (I took shelter in the Astrolabe) but otherwise great cloud cover and a nice, warm temperature throughout. A nice middle ground is ideal Glastonbury weather IMO. 

It was simply a case of the rain beforehand causing the horrendous mud. There have been years with more rain during the festival and far far less mud during, the ground was so wet already that the tiniest bit of rain +150k people on it and you have a mud bath. You would hope that then chances of getting so much rain before the festival again would be slim, and even if it then rains during it won't end up like this year. We all get obsessed by the weather during the festival but the weather immediately before is the key.

Probably not a popular view but I actually like the muddy years, its lovely to see people helping each other when we fall over, bonding over stories of the difficulties we have had and still seeing all the smiling faces regardless of how hard it's been, obviously I wouldn't like it every time but it's still very special, also helps you to appreciate the good weather when it finally happens. 
Charm x

On 04/07/2016 at 11:40 AM, SarahLu said:

I wasn't aware there were any other toilets other than the compost ones, the queue for those around 9am was a nightmare.  Just looking at the site map now and I think we were right at the bottom of Bailey's, below the pink line.  Where abouts were the other toilets and was there a food van up in that area?  

They were the longdrops by the water point as you walk back to PGD through Paines. The walk is a bit further depending where you are in Bailey's but the queues much smaller in the morning, there was never much of a queue for the composting ones at night. No food van, don't normally buy any food in the campsite so not sure where the nearest of those was, always thought it was the breakfast bar and coffee truck by the lock ups in Paines

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Probably not a popular view but I actually like the muddy years, its lovely to see people helping each other when we fall over, bonding over stories of the difficulties we have had and still seeing all the smiling faces regardless of how hard it's been, obviously I wouldn't like it every time but it's still very special, also helps you to appreciate the good weather when it finally happens. 
Charm x

I loved the weather this year. My favourite Glasto weather (been going from 2009, missed on t-day for 2013)

Nothing better or funnier than watching people fall when they / I am hammered. As long as no one hurts themself its a giggle.

Friday night's walk back with us all slipping and falling was as funny a night as Ive ever had. I do laugh when I see someone fall and I expect people to laugh at me (obviously Im talking just "Wey Hey Falls" -  not actual serious issues)

My issues are in the sun. I got sunburnt this year, but not too bad. The rain and mud I can deal with much easier.

3 hours ago, rzwodezwo said:

how often does the mud (not necessarily as bad as this year) occur? Are there actually dry years here and there or is it always a bit wet usually?

you always get if it Rs but this year was double bad because of the wet we had leading up to the festi ...if it had stayed dry the ground would soon have hardened up but as we know it didnt ...they dont call glasto the mud fest for nothin ....

ps

wife says im going again so may not be my last one after all ....looks like NEXT year will be my last lol

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

2011 was pretty bad too if I recall correctly. Except for the Sunday when it suddenly went ridiculously hot.

OTbeGt8.jpg?1

This was the Thursday afternoon in 2011.  You had to trek through some pretty thick claggy mud, but arses were on grasses most afternoons (only Friday was it too damp to do so).  The Sunday was indeed the hottest day I've ever experienced at the festival and I had to seek cover in the Bread and roses for the height of the afternoon as sunstroke was a genuine concern.

24 minutes ago, Spindles said:

OTbeGt8.jpg?1

This was the Thursday afternoon in 2011.  You had to trek through some pretty thick claggy mud, but arses were on grasses most afternoons (only Friday was it too damp to do so).  The Sunday was indeed the hottest day I've ever experienced at the festival and I had to seek cover in the Bread and roses for the height of the afternoon as sunstroke was a genuine concern.

Wow. That is not how I remember 2011. My three abiding memories that year are putting a tent up on my own in the pissing rain, watching U2 be monumentally awful in the pissing rain and falling asleep in front of Paul Simon in the baking heat.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Wow. That is not how I remember 2011. My three abiding memories that year are putting a tent up on my own in the pissing rain, watching U2 be monumentally awful in the pissing rain and falling asleep in front of Paul Simon in the baking heat.

I found the weather in 2011 affected me more than this year, but I think that everyone this year had a real spirit about them that they weren't going to let a little mud or rain dampen their spirits (even though I had a bit of a downer Sunday morning myself).  Friday in 2011 was an absolute catastrofuck of a day, I blame Bono.

This year's crowd made it for me, best bunch onsite since 2010 to my mind.  You people were bloody marvellous.

I don't think I'll get next year to be honest. 

I've been going since 2009 but my original group has slowly dwindled down over the years as life gets in the way.

Absolutely love the festival and for the best part of a week, nothing else matters. 

I did manage to share a vodka with Noel Gallagher up at the Park stage on Sunday and I've experienced a couple of wet, muddy Glastonbury's alongside some really, really hot ones.

I have seen some of the greatest bands/acts ever up close and met some of the greatest people - even if just for five minutes - that I'll ever come across.

Given the situation, I thought the Eavis ending to the Coldplay set was quite fitting too. The great thing about the festival is you can go and see two acts all weekend but still come away having had a fantastic time. For me it has been a great meeting point with friends who live elsewhere in the country all year round. 

It's given me memories that will last a lifetime - thank you Glastonbury! 

1 minute ago, wilson123 said:

I've been going since 2009 but my original group has slowly dwindled down over the years as life gets in the way.

That's the way of it at a particular time of life, when you or your peers are raising young kids, concentrating on careers or the housing ladder, etc.  Hope that in a few years time when life allows you'll return and find the magic still there for you.

35 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I found the weather in 2011 affected me more than this year, but I think that everyone this year had a real spirit about them that they weren't going to let a little mud or rain dampen their spirits (even though I had a bit of a downer Sunday morning myself).  Friday in 2011 was an absolute catastrofuck of a day, I blame Bono.

This year's crowd made it for me, best bunch onsite since 2010 to my mind.  You people were bloody marvellous.

Everything bad that has ever happened is Bono's fault.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:56 AM, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

It was my 7th and up to Sunday morning was going to be my last ever. I had D and V from Wednesday night until yesterday and with the mud and rain for the first time Glastonbury had broken me. Working for FMS has been my life at the festival. I live , sleep and talk about the festival every single day. 

What has made me come back. Well ELO, Beck, who I have never listened to before and the amazing set by Coldplay. I am a massive Earth Wind and Fire but the set Coldplay put on was the best visually I have ever seen and having Barry Gibb on stage singing the song my Dad had at his funeral was just the best.

ps it's also a great way to lose weight, I lost half a stone!

See you all again for some more madness next year x

That is beautiful; my dad says he wants Stayin' Alive sung at his one too... cool.

Anyway, yes, following a few days of recovery and doubt, I would like to return next year. Did it for Oxfam this year and was asked to do 3 early pre-festival shifts which was fine because it meant my shifts were over before the festival opened, but it did mean I was on site for 11 days in all and it was hard work in the mud. I need a bigger/better tent.

fc

Edited by fewcloudy

2 hours ago, fewcloudy said:

That is beautiful; my dad says he wants Stayin' Alive sung at his one too... cool.

Anyway, yes, following a few days of recovery and doubt, I would like to return next year. Did it for Oxfam this year and was asked to do 3 early pre-festival shifts which was fine because it meant my shifts were over before the festival opened, but it did mean I was on site for 11 days in all and it was hard work in the mud. I need a bigger/better tent.

fc

Thank you very much 

11 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

For anyone questioning how bad 2007 was...

The mud I could just about cope with, especially when it turns to soup, it was the constant rain throughout the entire weekend that ground me down

gallery_38615_1123_4291.jpggallery_38615_1123_120974.jpggallery_38615_1123_42058.jpggallery_38615_1123_179170.jpggallery_38615_1123_177405.jpg

Ha ha terrible memories there for me.

We walked down from Hitchin Hill past the John Peel tent on the Monday going back to the car and I dropped about 2 foot down a puddle and ended up with water down my wellies.

Awful conditions going out on that Monday afternoon. 

Felt like I was wading through a fishing lake. 

The horizontal rain watching The Who on the Sunday night obviously took its toll.

Edited by chrislfc

2 hours ago, chrislfc said:

Ha ha terrible memories there for me.

We walked down from Hitchin Hill past the John Peel tent on the Monday going back to the car and I dropped about 2 foot down a puddle and ended up with water down my wellies.

Awful conditions going out on that Monday afternoon. 

Felt like I was wading through a fishing lake. 

The horizontal rain watching The Who on the Sunday night obviously took its toll.

Happily I have absolutely no memory of the rain during The Who. I do cleary remember the storming set they played tho.

I've realised I'm always left with the best memories from the festival, the rest just fade away.

That is why I will go for as many years as I am able.

On 29/06/2016 at 10:49 AM, Skoo said:

Yes I will be back next year, for me the place is a bit like a Mecca, I have to get there each year to reset my brain and remind myself that the world is still an OK place.

That being said, there are some things about the festival that I wish would change. 

Firstly, Arcadia. Yes, it looks bloody cool, I'm not disputing it. But for me, it's just not Glastonbury. It's too dark, too ravey, and seems to attract a really shit crowd. Not saying everyone who goes there is shit but it's one of the places on site where I do encounter a lot of dickheads. Plus, the mud situation there was unbearable, as it is every time it rains. One friend had a panic attack during Andy C because people were constantly pushing into her and she was stuck in the mud. My other friend sprained her ankle for the same reason.

The other thing is Shangrila. I bloody hate it. It's too much like organised fun, and again, too crowded, too muddy & chaotic. I find that people, when put in that situation late at night and under the influence, can become quite pushy & inconsiderate.

I'm not disputing that the concept is very cool - I go there in the day time to have a browse and I like what they're trying to do. But the execution of it makes it a completely unenjoyable experience. 

For me, the magic of Glastonbury is about the festival's ethos. The green element, the magic of the location, the whole feeling of love and support of one another. And of course, the music. 

If I want a festival where I can just rave the night away, there's Creamfields and the like. That's not what I want from Glastonbury, and it never used to be like that.

Perhaps I'm just still craving the magic of my first few times. In 2007, my first year, there was no Arcadia, Park, or Shangrila.

And the thing I loved so much about that experience was the ability to simply wander around after dark, and happen upon a random bar playing tunes with people dancing in the rain, or coming across the bandstand with a whole crowd of people with kazoos humming theme tunes to game shows. It was all truly random, and totally magic for me. 

The stone circle was full of hippies playing bongos, people chatting, fires and the like. Now it's a place for getting whatever drugs you need.

This year, and for the past few years, I'm finding it way too messy and ravey, a bit of a darker element at night (and I'm not talking about lack of sunlight!) and I am having fewer and fewer random experiences and find myself getting frustrated with the constant bottle necks.

I suppose because Shangrila and Arcadia are considered to be the late night areas, people just flock there after the headliners, which makes that corner of the site unbearable for me.

In summary, for me, it's all getting a bit too messy and ravey. Don't get me wrong, I love to get a bit high myself, but it's all about setting, and I dunno, the constant boom boom tick tick that's so prevalent now (rather than just sporadically through the festival) adds a ravey, messy element, that detracts from the festival's ethos for me.

I just miss being able to bimble around without hearing constant rave tunes, and getting caught in crowds of fucked people.

Day times still a-ok for me, just more crowded than I've ever experienced before.

I'll still keep going and hope they just cut down on all the clubby stuff, bring back Lost Vagueness and get shot of Arcadia. Will it ever happen??

I am just catching up with this thread, but Skoo reflects how i feel about the festival too, in particular the first sentence, I have been to the last 19 and hope to be back next year to make it 20 if the ticket gods are kind to us in October.

O shit i have the a problem, a good problem but a problem.

Just got a phone call and theres a few big birthdays next year in the family so its looking like vegas in April.

That means next year ive got Amsterdam for NYE, Vegas in april and Ibiza in september.

My Glastonbury plan and the only way its really going to work, is 

1. Stop Smoking (cigs and weed) haven't had any since last Friday so going good

2. Ive lined up a 2nd job working the bar at Ulster Rugby games and Down royal races.

3. Stop taking expensive drugs every time i drink, trial run on sunday for the Final

4. Ive emailed a few local charities about volunteer work to keep me occupied on the weekends

With a little bit of discipline and determination, im pretty sure i can manage to join you all next year!!!

Pray4gerard

Edited by gerardfenton18

Well this type of idiot reminds me why never to return to T in the Park. Absolute knobhead (whoever he is) :lol:

See you all at the farm in 2017

Edited by Alan_C